Minion Studio Space Marines

Minion-Studio

EDIT: Please keep advertising to your signature. As the forum rules state, posts simply to advertise a website are not allowed. You are more than welcome to post your work (assuming it is power armor related) and even list it as a commission but please do not make advertising posts. -- Kurgan

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KgOtrz5MnD4/T3_vj6pdTDI/AAAAAAAAAbs/8owjVEX7kNU/s1600/Marcin%20niebo.jpg

Thanks for sharing. However, the color scheme seems pretty...terrible. It isn't just the strange lime-green/bone color, but why the blue power fist? The painting is pulled off OK for a commission piece, but I know that if I were to go around to web forums to pimp my stuff I would show up with something genuinely well done rather than just OK.

For example, why the rust colored bolter barrels? that's just a bad choice.

Sir augustmanifesto,

First of all I should not comment on taste of the owner (my friend) of those SM. But... for example I hate those orange purity seals myself. He wanted to have The Mentor Legion and imagined them like that... his choice. As I said before its an army made in just few days to show how fast we can be (and to enter a tournament) - don't expect super quality (pics show 1/3 of the whole force). I need to brag that in Poland that army gets always decent points in torurnaments - it really looks good from distance. As for close up pics, you gave us OK rating and thats dipping technique - we take it as a compliment (there are a lot of dipping haters :))

Maybe you'll enjoy more my Space Wolves (also dipping technique):

Space%20Wolves%20Bania.jpg

Space%20Wolves%20Bania%20(5).jpg

Space%20Wolves%20Bania%20(3).jpg

Space%20Wolves%20Bania%20(4).jpg

Explains a lot if its dipping technique. I think the problem with the first army is the color scheme (not your fault I know). It still grabs your attention from afar, and for dipping technique these models look very striking IMO. Especially the SW.

Do you have anything that wasnt painted to meet a deadline? Something that shows your skills using a more conventional technique?

I don't understand highlighting.

Those Crimson Fists look fine. Natural light.. why highlight?

The reason miniatures are highlighted is because when your dealing with colours on such a small surface, they don't catch the light very well so the colours look flat. Highlighting and shading are both techniques to emphasise where the shadows and light fall, making the colours look more defined and seperating out parts of the miniature from each other. This is even more important when you see a model from a couple of feet away (like across the other side of a gaming table, for example).

I don't understand highlighting.

Those Crimson Fists look fine. Natural light.. why highlight?

The reason miniatures are highlighted is because when your dealing with colours on such a small surface, they don't catch the light very well so the colours look flat. Highlighting and shading are both techniques to emphasise where the shadows and light fall, making the colours look more defined and seperating out parts of the miniature from each other. This is even more important when you see a model from a couple of feet away (like across the other side of a gaming table, for example).

Yep. It's how you simulate light to account for small scale. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hey i dont really highlight either except for the main light source but i like to lowlight more so as i always put a coloured wash over the main colour then do the highlight with the main colour again looks good enough for me. eg ultramarine blue, then blue wash and highlight ultramarines blue again. it works i guess, but i aint entering golden demon either.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
As the commisionee I can explain the green. I like green :lol: For a more fluffy explanation. The coven hates what the Rubric did to them and so marked their Rubric marines with Green until the time comes that they can be remade as true Thousand Sons, and so thats why the sorceror has his true colors.

On a business note I must say that I am very happy with the amount of feedback abd understanding the Minion team showed while doing this project. Once the Chaos codex comes out I will definitely be using them for the rest of the army.

Archived