Can you use the orbital bombardment out of a land raider?

I have recently looked at the rules for the orbital bombardment for the Space marines and it clearly says that orbital bombardment counts as firing a weapon. In this case you cannot use it out of a land raider as it has no fire points. I have seen many people do it however and i assumed they were correct until now. Has anyone any thoughts on this that I have missed or am I correct?

you don't need to see the enemy with barrage weapons though.

This is another one of those weird bits. Firing an Orbital Bombardment counts as firing a weapon. LOS is irrelavent, you have to have a fire point to fire a weapon.

Silly, I know. But that's GW for you.

[ETA]

oops, sorry GL. I should have read on ...

you don't need to see the enemy with barrage weapons though.

It's not a matter of line of sight. It's an issue of the model/unit being barred from firing a weapon from inside a transport if there are no fire points.

Mortars are barrage weapons, and you still couldn't fire them from inside a Land Raider if you somehow managed to get one into a Guard army.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Chapter Master has a strike cruiser in the landraider with him though are they!

Unlike the guardsman firing a mortar there is no need for there to be a firing point to call in a barrage that I can think of (Except possibly to stick an arm out of to give a big skyward thumbs up followed by pointing to the relevant area!!).

Following the spirit of the rules it seems sensible that nothing can be fired from within a vehicle with no firing ports, in the case of orbital bombardment I don't think you'll get very far trying to explain why you can't logically though lol!

Fluff =/= Rules.

His laser pointer doesnt work without a window.

QFT.

"A transport vehicle may have a number of fire points defined in its entry. A fire point is a hatch or gun slit from which one or more passengers inside the vehicle can fire (or usea psychic power).

Unless specified differently in the vehicle's entry, a single passenger may fire out of a fire point and the other transported models may not fire" - BRB, Pg.66

Since it is a Shooting attack, it requires a Fire Point - which Land Raiders do not have.

You would think that calling to a ship in orbit and having that sais ship shoot down on the target wouldnt require the Chaptermaster to be outside of a Landraider, but alas gw doesnt apply logic into their games.

You would think that calling to a ship in orbit and having that sais ship shoot down on the target wouldnt require the Chaptermaster to be outside of a Landraider, but alas gw doesnt apply logic into their games.

Chapter masters like to watch their handy work :)

• 2 weeks later...

Calling in an orbital strike from a Land Raider? That's gotta hurt.

Would like to point out that not only does he need line if sight and the ability to shoot in order to call it in, but also requires that said chapter master has not moved. And as the rules clearly state that the squad inside counts as moving if the vehicle has, then not only would he have to be in a rhino to even try that, he can't move either. Which is a good way to lose your vehicle.

Archived