Heavy bolters in tactical squads

The Harrowmaster

I've never seen it done and frankly, there are better options for that free weapon slot. I'm with you on how awesome the models look, but a Tac Squad simply gets better mileage out of missile launchers and multimeltas and 5-point plasma cannons.

THat being said, I've wanted to make a Fire Angels demi-company since I read about them in IA9, and said book also says that their Tac Squads always take a melta and a heavy bolter, and I'm nothing if not a nut for fluff. So if you go with a heavy bolter in a Tac Squad, let me know how it works out for you.

I do, and I also run heavy bolter attackbikes. :confused: Its a nice cheap option and really lets you focus fire and leave the bigger guns to go on other things. I just wish i could field more autocannons too so i could make Orks even more green with Envy from all my dakka dakka.

As Deus Ex Ferrum said the other heavy weapon options tend to be better. MLs do a similar job vs infantry and have added range and anti-tank ability as well. MMs give the squad fantastic anti-tank and a 24" area denial zone, while plasma cannons for 5pts are better against infantry and well worth their points.

Heavy bolters are best taken in groups, where their rate of fire can take apart infantry squads. Therefore attack bikes, Dev squads and Land Speeder squads are best for them, while dakka preds also make good use of them.

Yes, as Darkguard said, they are not exactly effective in tac squads against other marine players, against non marine players though, it rocks socks. If you can make a few heavy weapons troops so that you can swithc out heavy weapons in your list as you see fit. Or magnetize the arms so they can be removed and replaced with another heavy weapon.

The plastic HB model is far and away the coolest PA infantry model.

I have a squad of 5, which are modeled as Deathwatch, the sergeant has bionic legs to set him apart.

In tabletop play, they are "vanilla" (i.e. bolter) Sternguard vets, with the HB used to highlight the special ammo.

Archived