Venerable Dreadnought counts as?

Trystt

Hello, I recently came into a predicament that I'm trying to work out. Before I begin, I generally play friendly games, but I like to try and be fair if possible.

A few months back I came into the Games Workshop store to pick up some left arm autocannons for some venerable dreadnoughts. While I did that, the guy at the counter tried to sell me into getting a contemptor. I was really against the idea. However, he told me that a contemptor could certainly count as a venerable dreadnought, and that a standard dreadnought autocannon would fit fine on the thing. Note that I had only seen a contemptor in person once, and it was not ever next to a standard dreadnought.

Well, I went home, put the thing together, and realized first off that the dreadnought autocannon didn't fit on a contemptor (Different arm slots, and it just looks plain awkward). I built it already, so too late to try and return it. Worse, when I finally could afford my venerable dreadnought, I realized the size difference. The contemptor is much taller, and about as wide. Honestly not sure how I'm going to pull this off as a counts-as.

What are your thoughts on using a contemptor for a venerable dreadnought? The arms will (when I get them) be twin-linked autocannons as my list says, but my main concern is I don't want my friends to be at a disadvantage. I suppose my main concern is that if anything, I be the one at a disadvantage in a game. Please give your reasoning for your thoughts on this, if possible.

And yes, to answer any questions considering my poor purchasing choice, I certainly do feel tricked, as I was misinformed on this dreadnought in multiple ways. So if anyone knows any way of simply getting this returned as well despite it being built, please feel free to offer suggestions for that as well. I mean, I like the model, but it put me back quite a bit in cash towards my grey knights army if people aren't liking the counts-as.

Edit: Added last sentence ^

I personally wouldn't have any problems with somebody using a Contemptor Dreadnought as a regular/Venerable Dreadnought in a game. Yes, you might be able to see the enemy a bit better, giving you a slight advantage, but you're also bigger, being a bigger target, so it evens out.

Look at it the same way as a player using the current Deff Dread models for Orks compared to using the previous ones, which were much smaller.

Thanks Hortrod. That's what I had thought when I was trying to think balancing out. And good analogy with the Deff Dreads.

If anyone else wishes to add their input, you're still welcome of course :rolleyes: More opinions are always welcome.

Ah thank you. I wasn't able to find any threads that specifically related to my situation. Might just be my poor search wording lol. I'll read through it now.

Edit: Just read through the post. Definitely makes a lot of sense. I'm non-competitive, I've done like 2 tournaments since 2010 when I started playing. If anyone has a problem with it and is going to stiff me with WYSIWYG, then I'll just simply decline to play. And also it was mentioned again like Hotrod said... I'm actually the one with the disadvantage using this model, so they really have no right to complain.

Thanks. This definitely saved me the hassle of either getting another dreadnought or trying to somehow return this thing after I've built it (Like that'd ever happen lol). Now I just need to get some arms...

As long as your opponent is fully aware at the start of the game that it is a Venerable Dread in your army and not a Contemptor then there ought to be no problem at all - I always find that a copy of my army list to wave in doubters faces is often the way to ensure acceptance.

Hypothetically of course if you're slotted into a Contemptor chassis then you count as pretty venerable in my book!

As long as your opponent is fully aware at the start of the game that it is a Venerable Dread in your army and not a Contemptor then there ought to be no problem at all - I always find that a copy of my army list to wave in doubters faces is often the way to ensure acceptance.

Hypothetically of course if you're slotted into a Contemptor chassis then you count as pretty venerable in my book!

Yeah I always keep a copy of my army list handy. One, because I am forgetful if it's a new army (Plus I play multiple armies) and two, just in case someone doubts me ;)

And that's kinda how I was trying to look at it from a positive perspective. The contemptor model fit multiple roles. 1. A contemptor dreadnought is essentially a super-venerable dreadnought. They're rare, highly valued, and highly honored [Edit: and very old :cuss]. 2. With a standard venerable dreadnought in the list as well, it kinda shows that each dreadnought is unique. Because if you have these highly honored heroes, you aren't going to stick them in the same, uniform dreadnought armor. You're going to give them their own unique heraldry, and if possible, armor style.

I agree with this. If there is some concern for height, then another alternative would be to bring a regular dreanought along for LOS. But to be honest I don't many people would really have a problem. I know I wouldn't.

Depending on where in the world you are and how the dread is assembled I know someone that would be interested in purchasing it from you for the same price you paid for it. That way you could buy the regular venerable dread if you wanted. PM me if you are interested.

Archived