Minotaurs

Hey folks,

Figured I'd put up a thread on my WIP Minotaur force. Fairly small list at the moment, just 750 points. Sorry for the quality of the photos so far, I'll try and take some better ones tomorrow when I have a little better lighting. First up, my test model. First model I've gotten this far on in about... six years or so. Still some work to do on him yet.

gallery_11756_7142_176345.jpg

Head shot, can't see much detail here.

gallery_11756_7142_33343.jpg

Front/body shot, you can see a bit more of the weathering and patina effect I've gone for here.

Also, I know that as a tac marine, he shouldn't have red shoulder pads, but... eh.

Comments and criticisms greatly appreciated folks.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

@araekyus: Thanks, I always like to put mounting points/straps/etc. on my marines, to avoid the "floating gear" look (you'll see more of this on my heavy bolter marine soon). The armor was very easy to do.

Basecoat of Warplock Bronze. After this dried, I went back and washed the entire model with Hawk Turquoise. heavy overbrush with the bronze again, and then a final lighter drybrush of Hashut Copper toward the top and edges of the plates. Fast and effective. I plan on giving my HQ's, sergeants and vets an additional highlight or two.

@Ironfoe: No sir, I have not! I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Sorry for the double post, but I have an update.

WIP of my second marine. He's going to have a flamer (slight conversion). He's had quite a bit more done on him since this photo, I'll post finished photos of him and the first marine as soon as they are done.

gallery_11756_7142_2778518.jpg

And this is a very WIP shot of my heavy bolter marine. He's going to be equipped with a converted Grey Knight psycannon, but I wanted a bit of extra ammo on him. Considering adding a second ammo pouch/sling, thoughts?

gallery_11756_7142_871815.jpg

As always, comments and crits more than welcome!

Thanks for looking.

Considering adding a second ammo pouch/sling, thoughts?

I would always advocate loading Marines the f*** out, lol. They are genetically engineered super-soldiers. As long as you model it well, the more ammo, grenades, and pouches they have, the better. The Marines in my blog (linked in my sig) are all kitted out. While I subscribe to the idea that the Marines can/should clamp most of their gear and pouches directly to their armor without stuff like straps which can get tangled and severed, I do like the look of Marines "loaded for bear". Regardless, I really like that ammo sling pouch for sure. Your sculpting for it is very nice. Eventually I'd like to do more greenstuffing to my own figures.

Thanks for the continued responses, guys. No photos at the moment, I'm out and about.

@Doghouse: Thank you very kindly sir, that means a good bit coming from you (your sculpting is brilliant!). I use Vaseline to smooth it down, but I tell you what... I get more than a few sideways glances when I pull that little container out down at the local GW.

@Veteran Sergeant: Man, I've run through your thread a good few times, and I'm always impressed. Your marines look like they're constantly at war, as is good and proper. I'll find a way to add a second ammo pouch without unbalancing the model.

Hopefully I'll get some updated photos for you later today, but given how overcast it is here and my dependence on natural lighting (damn you, Seattle), they may be of poor(er than usual) quality.

EDIT

Looks like I managed to get a few photos.

These two are basically finished. Regular tac marine just needs his flamer and backpack.

gallery_11756_7142_3114252.jpg

Close up of blade-wielding psycho's base.

gallery_11756_7142_3375693.jpg

Said I'd get a better shot of this guy here, so... here it is.

gallery_11756_7142_2485287.jpg

Comments and crits welcome as usual, folks. Thanks for looking!

Thanks for the continued responses, guys. No photos at the moment, I'm out and about.

@Doghouse: Thank you very kindly sir, that means a good bit coming from you (your sculpting is brilliant!). I use Vaseline to smooth it down, but I tell you what... I get more than a few sideways glances when I pull that little container out down at the local GW.

Try using basic, unflavored chapstick. small portable and will avoid the odd stares and sideways glances hehe :D

@araekyus: Hah, brilliant. I'll have to try that out.

Finished the flamer marine, here's some photos for your viewing (dis)pleasure.

Front shot, you can see where I shortened the flamer barrel. I figured it makes more sense for a weapon used in close quarters, which is where a weapon like a flamethrower is at it's most deadly. You can also see the line running to...

gallery_11756_7142_2792806.jpg

This larger tank on his back. No running out of fuel here!

gallery_11756_7142_861511.jpg

I've got to get some marines assembled now, including my Vanguard vets, their Rhino, the rest of the Tac squad, my scouts, my captain...

So, everything.

Thanks for looking, comments and crits welcome as usual, folks!

Archived