DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA pred

Kingkaneda

I'm thinking about putting the ultimate dakka pred in my list. It'is a basic dakka pred+all the extra shooting you can buy So it will have:

2 Autocannon shots

6 Heavy bolter shots

2 Storm bolter shots

1 Hunter killer 1 time shot

Cost=105 points....still cheap:D

Has any of you used this set up?

I'd stay away from the HKM, as it doesn't fit with its role.

The storm bolter isn't too bad though, provided it has the points for it. Adds more to its role. In fact, the dakka pred and LRC (maybe LRR) are the only units I'd consider adding a pintle mounted storm bolter to.

That was my first impression as well but the HKM does have some synergy with the autocannon shots for opening up a transport at max range.

That was my first impression as well but the HKM does have some synergy with the autocannon shots for opening up a transport at max range.

EDIT: removed factually incorrect statement

However, I actually think that it's not a good play. 20 points gets you what? A storm bolter which is probably not going to be in range most of the time unless you move first... and a HKM. Not really sure you couldn't get more capability elsewhere. I mean, assuming you have any rhinos in the army, seems like it would be better to take that 20 points and put HKMs on two of them. That way you actually get more benefit from your dakka pred because you have a higher chance of knocking out a transport and giving the heavy bolters something to shoot at. Also, the HKMs on the rhino's actually makes them a threat, whereas the predator is already a threat that isn't really enhanced. It's the difference between 3 threats.... and 2 transports + 1 threat.

Now you've got me thinking about my HKM philosophy, which actually isn't very easy to quickly explain. May have to consider writing it up at some point and seeing if there is enough there for an article.

-Myst

Myst, you only get the krak missile with a HKM, not the frag.

minigun762, that's a good point. However, I'd say one over the other, not both unless you really have points left. Maybe the HKM if you need help getting people out of transports, the storm bolter if you don't?

im actually rather fond of hunter killer missiles (especially on rhinos!)-just wish my dice were better with them..but then i feel its more the "possible threat" than the "actual threat"

I reckon 2 of these tooled up dakka preds could be great against orks, eldar and the like (maybe not so good against marines and the like).

Give it a go and tell us how it went? (have fun too!) :D

Archived