Drekuvler's host.

Zincite

Greetings!

With the finishing (Hah!) of my Tyranid army, and the end of the LPC 2012, I've been buggering around for a new army. Dark Eldar seduced me for a while, but they wore off after a bit.

Th'an idea came back to me that I'd toyed with a while back. The Purge. I'm not sure what originally brought them to my attention, but I really enjoyed their look and background. Nurgle worshippers, without the whole fat, bloated toad look, which whilst admittedly maintaining a certain beauty, doesn't appeal to me as an army.

To help maintain interest in the army, I'm going to attempt to add some background to the army, and some effort to the models. The idea of the rather motionless posing straight from the CSM boxed set plonked into simple ten-man squads seems rather bland, so the army's going to be aimed at a more elite force. And, with that;

*Activate personal mini-fluff-universe*

"Faith! By the Emperor, keep your faith high!"

Rain fell, deep, drenching, unfaltering, accompanied by a thick fog. It turned the ground to mud, and each booted step of the Imperial Commissar splashed through the sludge heavily, bringing a recurring intonation to the otherwise muted trenchline. Each soldier stood at his assigned place, gazing down the barrel of his weapon, as the coat-swathed figure paced behind them.

"He is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity, in a galaxy of darkness!"

The sermon was practiced. He had recounted it before, and it was known just as well by the men that stood combat-ready as by the Commissar himself.

"As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us!"

The Commissar paused, glancing back along the line, the rain continuing its assault. After a moment, he turned his gaze forward again, and carried on with his march.

"And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fa-"

It was a practiced sermon. The man had performed it twenty-four times throughout his career with the Cadian 218th, and never had it failed to raise the moral and lift the spirit. It had been taken from a common-issue prayer book, yet its effectiveness was indubitable.

It was punctuated by the Commissar's head being blown into red mist.

The corpse hit the soft ground with a surprisingly faint thump, blood pumping from the neck to mingle into the puddles of water around. A wave of controlled panic swept through the line, as men paced their eyes down their fields of vision. A man cried out the engagement of enemy fire, and an alarm began to swell in the distance. A man had died.

He was to be the first of many.

The rise and ebb of the alarm was undercut by a roar of engines, as approaching tanks began their advance. Along the line, Lasguns were shifted as the first targets pounded into view. Behind the trenches, team-crewed heavy weapons were trained and began to heat up to preparation to fire.

The Plague hit.

The closest tanks were transports, bringing the mounted squads inside towards the trenches. Behind them, Predator battle-tanks and heavier siege weapons brought their weapons to bear on the Imperial line. It was these that carried the Plague God's gift. Shells hit, exploding not with brute fire and shrapnel, but with expanding clouds of green acid-mist. Men around the impacts died screaming, as their flesh was dissolved from their bones, organs were reduced to rotten pulp, and bones fell to the floor with nothing to connect them to the body.

Under the cover of the Plague's touch, the transports began to disgorge their troops. Heavily armoured warriors, their black plate rimmed with spikes and trophy racks, specific pieces of the armour painted a rotting green, dismounted from within the roaring tanks, gunning chainswords into life or loading bolters with grim zeal.

A large figure, limping oddly, emerged from the foremost tank, a massive two-handed axe clenched in an armoured fist as his helmed visage swept silently across the Imperial Defence. His armour held decoration above the lesser troops around him, two bone spikes thrusting from his shoulder guards to flank his helm, gold detailing engraved into the plate gleaming amid the green chem-mist that was mixing with the world's natural fog.

The Cadian 218th fell. Acid scourged their bones, bolters turned meat into pulp, chainblades tore limbs from torsos. A young man, newly recruited, screamed in his last moments, as a chainsword swept through his gut. A veteran that had served for longer than any other man there, was dispatched by a blast of pure heat from a Melta-gun. With a furious speed and baneful efficiency, the trenchline was cleaned of life.

Besides the limping figure, a second warrior debarked, his armour less well-adorned, two smaller hand axes in his fists to match his companion's larger one. His form ticked slightly, as if eager to move. With a scatter-growl from his helm's vox, he raised one of his weapons to the sky.

"Brothers!"

"Expunge their lives! Only as corpses can these fools serve!"

"Prove your devotion, the Plaguefather watches! Slay. Them. -All-!"

-+-

And the progress.

gallery_57656_5812_567225.jpg

... Supplies...

gallery_57656_5812_10532.jpg

... And actual Miniatures.

All I've got for now. Thanks for lookin'! :yes:

I thank ye both!

Anyway, a planned but nonetheless still late update, which may be a feature of this log. Squad's fully assembled, and I somehow found a break in the rainfall to undercoat them yesterday. Added some detail to some of the before pictured minitures, a'well.

gallery_57656_5812_916123.jpg

gallery_57656_5812_297734.jpg

gallery_57656_5812_366615.jpg

Fixed the shoulder pad since the photo.

gallery_57656_5812_193809.jpg

I tried to avoid the skipping. Honestly, I did.

gallery_57656_5812_1092155.jpg

And the squad as a whole.

Righ', painting, methinks.

Great fluff and the use of mixing Possessed parts in, I love the Melta gunner with that arching backpack in particular!

I don't know if you have read Siege of Vraks, but in that the Purge are notorious for their heavy use of chemical weaponry. In fact, their Apocalpyse formation upgrade their Flamers to Chem-burners instead. Just some food for though, but specially converted Chem-burners would be awesome. I know that the plastic Cadian flamer backpack could be a useful bit for making these! ;)

Thanks, guys, the praise is very spurring. I looked through your World Eaters thread, Biohazard, amazing stuff!

I don't know if you have read Siege of Vraks, but in that the Purge are notorious for their heavy use of chemical weaponry. In fact, their Apocalpyse formation upgrade their Flamers to Chem-burners instead. Just some food for though, but specially converted Chem-burners would be awesome. I know that the plastic Cadian flamer backpack could be a useful bit for making these! ;)

No, I haven't, and whilst I was aware of the Chemical weaponry, "Chem-burners" is new to me. My heavy thanks, I'll be fiddling with that. :)

Started basecoating the green last night.

Thanks buddy. Ill be keeping a close eye on this thread though as my next planned force will be Nurgle aligned but I really dont like the whole bloated belly thing. I'd never really thought about the Purge though. :cuss

I love the mix of possessed and regular CSM bits. If I was to redo my WBs i'd definitely take that route. In my mind your marines look just the way CSM should.

Keep up the good work and i look forward to seeing some paint on the Purge :)

Archived