Night Lords and Raptors

Kol Saresk

that is kind of a what he wants people to do , even when chaos sells clearly show that it is not what people playing the game want . a single codex for all marines. all marines the same . the difference between each is in A color B in the fluff you wrote[sic]for your army C the unit choices you took [which will be identical to the ones every other meq will play].

The point I had been making, but which somehow was lost, was that a loyalist or traitor party does not need their own unique rules to be worth playing. People can play Imperial Fists without any "siege expert" rules, and even without fielding Lysander. I can play Night Lords without the ensurance that a Word Bearers army could not operate in exactly the same way on the tabletop.

Well if you want to play Raven Guard without Shrike you are just playing black Ultramarines.

Well, Raven Guard uses Codex Astartes, right?

The point I had been making, but which somehow was lost, was that a loyalist or traitor party does not need their own unique rules to be worth playing. People can play Imperial Fists without any "siege expert" rules, and even without fielding Lysander. I can play Night Lords without the ensurance that a Word Bearers army could not operate in exactly the same way on the tabletop.

Well if you want to play Raven Guard without Shrike you are just playing black Ultramarines.

Well, Raven Guard uses Codex Astartes, right?

The Raven Guard operate quite differently. In Hunt for Voldorius Shrike’s battle company has four Assault Squads and in Helion Rain they have them operating rather differently from a Codex Chapter. Plus in Chapter’s Due fully power armored Raven Guard are able to out-stealth Telion.

Yes there is a "rumor" that the Raptors would be a Night Lords-specific unit while the other eight Legions would have Chaos Assault Marines. I doubt it because there is only one source that says the Raptors came only from the Night Lords and that is Lord of the Night when it says that Zso Sahaal trained the first Raptors. Even A-D-B points out that a Raptor has the mentality of Raptor first, Cult second, Legion third. If that mentality is the mentality that GW has(NOTE: NO ONE SAID IT WAS) and that rumor is true, then the next Codex will not be a Legions Codex because all nine Legions had Raptors according to the IA article about the Raptor Cult and the Assault Marines would be from the newer Traitors. And the only people who have gone away from that fluff are the fans/players. Like I said, the rumors are bull because they don't even jive with each other, much less with the established, recent, modern, GW-published fluff that everyone holds as holy canon.

Yes there is a "rumor" that the Raptors would be a Night Lords-specific unit while the other eight Legions would have Chaos Assault Marines. I doubt it because there is only one source that says the Raptors came only from the Night Lords and that is Lord of the Night when it says that Zso Sahaal trained the first Raptors. Even A-D-B points out that a Raptor has the mentality of Raptor first, Cult second, Legion third. If that mentality is the mentality that GW has(NOTE: NO ONE SAID IT WAS) and that rumor is true, then the next Codex will not be a Legions Codex because all nine Legions had Raptors according to the IA article about the Raptor Cult and the Assault Marines would be from the newer Traitors. And the only people who have gone away from that fluff are the fans/players. Like I said, the rumors are bull because they don't even jive with each other, much less with the established, recent, modern, GW-published fluff that everyone holds as holy canon.

Or they've decided to finally dump the IA as being any sort of reference whatsoever and will do exactly what the rumors have suggested. Time will tell, and it's not very likely I admit, but it wouldn't be the first time GW has gone ahead and refuted their own fluff material, or at the very least decided to expand upon it to make it all-inclusive instead of specific.

It's my patent curiosity about the next Codex that keeps me rolling dice. B)

Like I said, the rumors are bull because they don't even jive with each other, much less with the established, recent, modern, GW-published fluff that everyone holds as holy canon.

Y'know, I can see it happening. The Studio seems to have a...freer hand lately, to the point that GW recently had a job posting which more or less had "please contain these gibbering yahoos" as a major responsibility. God knows what's made it into the next few books. :D

If you're going to play raven guard without shrike...just use codex: blood angels

... why would I do that?

Because DC make great saboteurs.

GW had a job for containing the fluff writers? I'll take it.

GW had a job for containing the fluff writers?

Something like that. IIRC, the job description was something along the lines of "assuring that Games Workshop's product maintains the highest standards of quality and keeps in line with a singular vision for the IP," and had a requirement to be able to "manage highly creative, strong-willed individuals." Could be my own biases at play, but the whole thing read as a tacit admission on the company's part that their current Studio has been stunningly incompetent when it comes to handling/furthering the IP.

My hope is that whoever got the job managed to get in and save the upcoming Chaos book from whatever asinine Ward/Kelly-spawned fiascos would otherwise be coming down the pipe. I'd love a Codex that's a good read again.

Archived