The Dumbest plans always work

DK1

So yesterday i had a death wish, i played vs Orks with a Purifier list (thats not the death wish) at 2,000pts (still not the death wish).

I took a GM and Crowe, 4x 8man teams of Purifiers, and a scatter of other crap that wasnt important.

Got a 3 on the Grand Strategy, gave it to 3 purifiers so i can scout move up (i had the first turn).

The board was built where there was a huge ruin that blocked LOS to the other side of the table, so my scout move was to the middle, from there he fail the steal and i took my first turn, at this point my 3 rhinos were 13" from contact with the Ork front line. so knowing he could surround my rhinos and i would not be able to get out i did it anyway (death wish) ran my rhinos right into his face. then moved everything else up.

His side of turn one he moved up but didnt get far enough to get around my tanks, i left only 2" between them so they made a wall. Then shooting he popped 2 of them making my guys get out (i had room) and i only lost 1 model.

Turn 2, kicked out the last rhino full of dudes, shot and multi assaulted his lines. At the end of my turn 4x 30 man ork units lost 52 models between CF and normal attacks then being fearless. In return i lost 5 models. His side of turn 2 he attacked in the rest of his units in the area (was an awesome pic if i can get it from the shop) and between CF, normal attacks and fearless he lost another 28 models, i lost 3. At this point i lost 9 guys out of 24 of the first attack, i still had another rhino with purifiers, Crowe, a Everser and a 5man team of terms. he lost 80 models and only had a mix of nobs and some lootas i think. we called the game there.

My Dice were on fire, and we played again and i tryed the same thing and it didnt work. What i learned, should have walked away after the first game, second game was a tie but my 2 teams that made the move failed the attack (stupid dice)

It was fun, anyone else ever try this charge?

Brave? Or foolish? I know which I'd pick. :P

No seriously, sounds like you had fun, and your experience here has brought up some important truths of 40K. A good strategy can fail to bad dice, likewise a bad strategy can succeed due to good dice. Now, as you don't know what your dice will be like, you should always aim for good strategy, but I can understand why you'd want to just through caution to the wind, and sometimes it gives results. That's why I play my Nids army, I expect to lose everytime I play them and it's just a laugh, and I've had plans that worked once but then failed due to the dice.

With my Marines though I'm a boring sensible player, although I did charge 5 Honour Guard into a 30 strong Ork Boy squad once. Lost 3 guys but slaughtered the squad. Good strategy? Not sure. Fun? You bet. :)

My fav foolish charge was 2 purifiers into 30 genestealers (i was expecting to just die) killed 13 with CF, 2 with halberds. He removed the models in the back, which put him out of range for fearless, i (somehow) lost 1 model, the 1 left SA the whole unit. He earned him self a cloak and a seal. it took me 5 mins to get outta the shock.

You are a braver man by far than me. When I see Stealers I instinctively hide in terrain or Rhinos. Keep the brave/foolish charges up, it's clearly working!

I didnt really have a choice, and i would rather have hit them then them hit me and get a consolidation move deeper into my sided of the table. I also should be playing IG with my high risk "no ones life is worth the win" style.

Archived