Assault Squad Loadout

God Of War

I'm adding a five man assault squad to my primarily shooty army. I'm thinking of going with this:

Power Weapon (Sarge)

Melta Bombs (Sarge)

Plasma Pistol

I'm thinking of using them as general-purpose melee troops. The meltas should take care of most vehicles and the plasma pistol should be able to glance some light ones and break through most armor.

What do you think?

I'm a bit confused by your envisioned role for this unit. You say they're your "general purpose melee troops" but have them fitted out to kill vehicles....which doesn't really fit the "GP melee" description.

If they're your only melee component to your shooty army, then what they should be is your counterassault element. And since they're not that hot in assault, I'd say it'd pay to increase their CC ability as much as possible, even at the cost of decreasing versatility. In this case, you can get an extra assault trooper for the price of the plasma pistol and melta bomb. If you have the points consider upgrading the Sarge to a Power Fist and shield.

maturin has hit the nail on the head. Especially with the power fist. Any general purpose unit should then have the power fist as its first upgrade, you don't get much more general purpose than that. Anti-everything apart from AV14.

Most people say flamers, but you could get away with a plasma pistol or two, especially with a small 5 man squad.

Sorry for being vague, here's the new loadout based on your advice:

Power Fist (Sarge)

Plasma Pistol

I'm on the fence on the matter of the extra man and the combat shield because

A)My points allowance for this unit is 140 and the extra man would force me to give up the power fist, which seems to be an excellent idea

B)MY internet readings have suggested that the shield is useless because of its 6+ save and that the points could be better used elsewhere

How do the revisions look?

What's a good idea? Keeping the power fist or having the extra man?

Also, you're quite right, the combat shield is useless, a 6++ isn't great, especially when you have to pay points for it. It's OK when thrown in as extra though, like with the Company Champion. However, I believe maturin was referring to the storm shield, which while costing 10pts more than the combat shield and not allowing an extra attack, provides a 3++, which is actually very useful.

However, the down side is that you've then spent 40pts on a 1 wound model who can die to a lasgun shot if you're unlucky. Consider getting it if you have points, if not don't worry.

As for the load out, it's better than before, and is flexible. You have an anti-MEQ/TEQ/MC/light armour shot and combat attacks, and multiple normal combat attacks for horde. However, don't believe that this unit is a frontline hard hitting combat unit, as it isn't. It's a sweeper unit, the clean up crew. It doesn't do a ton of damage and should be used in unison with other models, taking out smaller units and those that Tactical squads etc have dropped down to a few models while counter-charging enemy units that tie your shooting units up in assault.

To be honest, in considering that role, I have wonder about whether a small Vanguard Vet squad with relic blade, thunder hammer and storm shield would be worth it for that role, more points but more attacks, more power weapons and therefore more damage, could be an interesting project...

But yeah, as a sweeper unit it's a nice unit, but it's not much more than that.

What's a good idea? Keeping the power fist or having the extra man?

The power fist

Anyway, I'm probably going to stick with the current loadout as the aforementioned sweeper. I'll keep the risk down on the sarge by giving him only the fist and giving the plasma pistol to a vanilla marine. The storm shield may a useful add-on, but it would break the bank at this moment.

Unless anyone has something else to say, I do believe I have my ideal unit.

P.S.-Thanks for the Vanguard idea, I'll definitely have to keep that on file.

Having the plasma pistol on a normal guy would certainly be the best thing to do.

Also, with the Vanguard, do bear in mind that the load out I was musing about was over 200pts, so at the moment stick to your Assault squad and see how it does. :blink:

Archived