Karl Franz, Chapter Master of the Howling Griffons

Well folks, I held on as long as I could. Month after month, GW rolled out some incredible big kit for a new release in the Warhammer range that I knew I could convert into something power armored and awesome. But my wallet won out and I exercised restraint. That all came tumbling down with the release of Karl Franz on Dreadclaw. Look at it! So madjestic! But how to make it grimdark... I know! The Howling Griffon's chapter master would ride one, certainly! So, with that in mind, I worked overtime, kicked my ass to get ahead in class, and now... IT BEGINS.

gallery_62495_7158_949470.jpg

But first a spot of cleaning.

gallery_62495_7158_172907.jpg

The beast unleashed! Seriously, this is a beautiful kit.

I have the body constructed and the arms planned out and ready for pinning, but my camera crapped out. I will take more pictures tomorrow. Check back later in the weekend for my sketches of what the finished product should look like, as well as my plan to tackle some practical problems with the kit.

A quick update! The Thunderwolf Rider Legs have been fitted with only a bit of shaving on the butt, which isn't visible from any angle.

gallery_62495_7158_657969.jpg

On another note, I have test fitted a bunch of torsos, but none of them can fit behind that dragon saddle.

gallery_62495_7158_439833.jpg

I'm thinking of cutting the head off of the dragon saddle to make room, but I am unsure of how it will look. Sorry for not having the promised sketch up, work and school have been killer. I should have it up by the end of this weekend though. No excuses this time!

I was just thinking of making some house rules for him and only using him in Apocalypse games. My playing group only has one Titan, so we need other big things to really bring that "Apocalypse" scale. I will be posting some test rules here in the near future.

Hey gang! Finally finished the first draft of the fluff I want to put down for this conversion and I even cooked up some rules! Remember though: This guy is for Apocalypse only. Give me your thoughts on pricing and any other edits you have! I want to get this thing printed all professional-like at some point, so even spelling edits are needed and welcome!

Chapter Master Karl Franz

Master of the Howling Griffons, The Blazing Knight, Savior of Bastion VII

For 400 years, Master Franz has led the Howling Griffons into battle. One of the living legends of the Imperium, Franz represents the ultimate image of the Space Marines as the knights of humanity. His meteoric rise through the ranks of the Howling Griffons made his final promotion to Chapter Master unsurprising. Since his ascension, he has become famed for his rapid battlefield redeployment and counter-assaults. When the forces of Chaos usurped Imperial rule on Bastion VII, it was Franz designed a complex, multi-pronged assault on the capital that scattered the Chaos forces and returned the governor-militant to his throne with the course of three days. When Dark Eldar raiders ambushed the Howling Griffons on a recruiting mission to Mancora, it was Franz who organized a series of counter-raids that resulted in the successful extraction of nearly every single aspirant from their captor’s clutches. When the Tyranid-infested space hulk Deathless Void emerged at the edge of the Gaius system, it was Franz who planned and executed a rapid boarding assault to overload the engines, setting off a catastrophic explosion that utterly devastated the space hulk and prevented it from impacting on the surface of the forge world Adonis II.

Still, there comes a time when all of Franz’s brilliance and skill could not turn the tide of a battle. When grand strategy fails, Franz mounts his mighty griffon steed, a gift from the Adeptus Mechanicus for saving Adonis II. Flanked by the most skilled and well-equipped vanguard veterans of the chapter, Franz plunges into the thick of the fighting, utterly decimating the enemy’s positions before soaring away on his griffon to another point on the battlefield. During these assaults he wields the ancient relic of his chapter, “Guilliman’s Mercy,” which blazes with an azure flame that burns those who have pledged their allegiance to the foul powers of Chaos. Wielded in combination with the formidable mass of his steed, Franz can utterly decimate entire enemy squads in a single charge, clearing the way to vital objectives for his brothers. None can stay his wrath and when Franz finally does quit the field, it can only be because every single enemy has been routed and total victory achieved in the name of the Emperor.

WS: 6

BS: 5

S: 4 (6)

T: 4 (5)

W: 4

I: 5

A: 3

LD: 10

SV: +2/+4

Unit Composition:

1 (Unique)

Unit Type:

Jump Infantry

Wargear:

• Gulliman’s Mercy

• Artificer Armor

• Bolt Pistol

• Iron Halo

Special Rules:

Combat Tactics

Orbital Bombardment (See Codex: Space Marines.)

Independant Character

Eternal Warrior

Hit and Run (Grants this ability to a unit of jump infantry he joins.)

Guilliman’s Mercy: An artifact passed down from the Ultramarines, Guilliman’s Mercy is a power weapon that burns with a flame that repels Chaos. It counts as a one-handed master-crafted power weapon that grants Franz Preferred Enemy: Chaos Deamons and Preferred Enemy: Chaos Space Marines.

Looking forward to seeing the finished model, this conversion looks like it has a lot of potential. As far as the rules go he seems pretty overpowered IMHO. Artificier armour and storm shield with five wounds and eternal warrior is just a bit too much. This guy can take more punishment than most superheavies. Also, don't forget that having him as a monsterous creature with that relic blade is going to mean he's better at tearing through tanks than a lascannon.

Also, the current Chapter Master of the Howling Griffons, Alvaro is still going strong. You may want to either make this guy him or else make clear he is a historical Chapter Master. You can get most of the Howling Griffons' existing fluff here.

Instead of making him a Monstrous Creature, why not take a leaf (Wolf pelt?) out of the Space Wolfs book and make his mount like a Thunder Wolf, but with Jump Infantry obviously thrown in.

Malatox

As far as the rules go he seems pretty overpowered IMHO. Artificier armour and storm shield with five wounds and eternal warrior is just a bit too much. This guy can take more punishment than most superheavies. Also, don't forget that having him as a monsterous creature with that relic blade is going to mean he's better at tearing through tanks than a lascannon.

Whoops! He is not supposed to be that survivable. Here is his statline without the crappy formatting:

WS 6

BS 5

S 4 (6)

T 4 (5)

W 4

I 5

A 3

LD 10

SV +2/+3

This should be awesome. How many points is he going to run in game ya reckon?

That's what I need your help with, B&C! I'm no good with competitive lists or any of the hard and fast rules of pricing in 40k.

Also: As per AGPO's suggestion, I have clarified the wounds as being 4 and taken away his storm shield. In its place will be an Iron Halo and bolt pistol. I have also reclassified him as jump infantry since being a monstrous creature was a bit much. However, this now gives him an extra attack on the charge since he is now armed with a bolt pistol and relic blade, bringing him up to five S 6 attacks on the charge, which he will often strike first in. Thoughts?

Very cool model you have here! I love the idea and how you've made it!

Rules:

Chapter Master = 125 points

Master crafted Relic Blade = 35 points

Ability on relic blade = 10 points

Extra toughness (equivalent to Mark of Nurgle) = 20 points

Artificer Armour = 15 points

Jump Infranty = 25 points

Eternal Warrior and extra wound (found by subtracting war gear from Lysander) = 20 points

Total = 250

Seems pretty fair. You may want to add some army wide rule (maybe replacing Eternal Warrior or Artificer Armour) to give him a bit more flair and originality instead of him being just a beat stick. This might take a bit off his points, depending how powerful the ability is.

EDIT: Wrong Mastercrafting points.

Sorry buddy, but you've missed a very important rule in yon codex. You can't ever get the extra attack from a pistol or clpse combat weapon when used in combination with a relic blade, same as with a power fist. However, I quite like the idea of him being a monstrous creature, it certainly makes sense for a mount that size.

Alright, here is what I've done: I've changed Gulliman's Mercy to be a regular one-handed power weapon, giving Franz that extra attack on the charge. I've also brought back the Monterous Creature classification since he is down to S 4 now. I think that's more balanced. Also, huge shout out of thanks to Coryphaus 101 for his detailed points breakdown. While I think I am going to increase his cost (since he is ONLY going to be used in Apocalypse games), that's a great framework to start with.

Also: A sketch of Karl should be up sometime this week, but I need suggestions for chest armor. I've got tons of plastic to choose from, so just shout out what looks "blinged up" enough for a chapter master. Thanks again guys!

You could just have two split profiles in order to even out the rules between them.

Naw, we're going all the way. All or nothing! This is an Apocalypse-sized hero and he'll have rules to match!

Also, I am putting out the call for an Empire Wizard flaming sword bit. I will be happy to trade for it or buy it via Paypal from anyone who has it. PM me if you are interested. I really do not want to have to buy a $20 kit for one little bit! It will represent Guilliman's Mercy on ol' Karl here.

In addition, I am going to add another paragraph of fluff making him a historical Chapter Master rather than the current Master Alvaro, since it was pointed out by AGPO.

The flaming sword on him would look epic! I can't wait to see the finished model!

I also my points are probably pretty off too. SCs in codexes have stuff super cheap, so getting an extra wound and eternal warrior is probably pretty OP. Maybe for 300 points.

Why use the vanilla space marine list for someone who is mounted on something huge. why not venture into the wolf territory, and count Karl franz as a wolf lord with frost weapon, storm sheild, and wolf tooth ( griffin teeth) necklace, and thunder wolf mount, with saga of the bear, and melta bombs.

he would benifit from the cavalry charge aka the flight path, and griffin charge would be the assault.

edit: to add in saga

I strongly feel that it should be Monstrous Calvary, but hey, it's your model and your rules.

I hope you're using the two headed option for the model, I think it's much more fitting in with the Imperium and it's symbol. Maybe even give one head some bionics? Would be cool.

Malatox

Archived