Brother Tyler Posted April 22, 2012 Share Posted April 22, 2012 Space Marine Hero Copyright 1998 Games Workshop An important step in the process of creating your own DIY is deciding how that DIY will be presented to your fellow members. As Games Workshop has demonstrated, there are a variety of ways that DIYs can be presented, ranging from the commonly used Index Astartes article to portrayal in fiction. The varying styles have their strengths and weaknesses, whether presenting information as "accepted fact" (such as is done in an Index Astartes article), demonstration (such as in a story), or even speculation and rumor (such as a series of third person communications about a DIY). Some players have even presented their DIYs through the medium of comic book/graphic novel. Ultimately, the method of portrayal is up to the author. Now all that said, most players choose to use the Index Astartes article as their format; and we've also seen the recent Imperial Armour books presenting an alternate format. While there has been some variation between different examples of these formats, the basic formats tend to follow certain patterns. This discussion presents templates of both of these formats. Players can take these templates and copy them for their own use. Variations on each format will be presented, demonstrating to authors the "art of the possible" so that they can experiment with modifying them. Ultimately, the intent is to present just a few examples of how Games Workshop has presented information on Chapters over the years, demonstrating to players a range of possibilities that they can use and adapt in presenting their own DIYs. Players are certainly free to use the templates as provided, but these are nothing more than examples and modifying the templates to suit your tastes is encouraged. Four categories are provided for each army. These are:Legio Chapter Datafiles Imperial Armour Index~ Minor Formats (none, currently) There are three distinctive variants utilized in some of the templates presented here: text headings, BBCode headings, and image headings. Each has its pros and cons, and those are discussed separately: Note that all of the formats, colors, images, etc. that are presented here are meant to be examples and players are highly encouraged to modify these templates in order to achieve more customized versions. Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/251189-diy-article-templates/ Share on other sites More sharing options...
Brother Tyler Posted April 22, 2012 Author Share Posted April 22, 2012 (return to INDEX) LEGIO INTEL FILE - ADEPTUS ASTARTES This type of file is written as an intelligence report on a Chapter from the perspective of the Legio, the Bolter & Chainsword's mascot Chapter. [basicheader=000000]The <<Chapter name>>[/basicheader] [captionright=<<Chapter>> Battle-Brother]<<Space Marine painter image or other color scheme>>[/captionright][font="Courier New"] Date:...............######.M## Ref:................LBC//<<first three letters of author's Legio persona name>> By:.................<<author's Legio persona>> Re:.................Adeptus Astartes - <<Chapter name>> Thought:............<<relevant quote/thought for the Chapter>>[/font] <<one or two brief sentences that summarize the Chapter>> [skullheaderhalf=000000]Origins of the <<Chapter>>[/skullheaderhalf] <<Origins and notable history of the Chapter>> [skullheaderhalf=000000]Organization[/skullheaderhalf] <<description of the Chapter's organization>> [skullheaderhalf=000000]Homeworld[/skullheaderhalf] <<description of the Chapter's homeworld>> [skullheaderhalf=000000]Combat Doctrine[/skullheaderhalf] <<description of the Chapter's combat doctrine>> [skullheaderhalf=000000]Geneseed[/skullheaderhalf][rightsidebar=Author][left]<<Note about the author>>[/left][/rightsidebar] <<description of the Chapter's gene-seed source, mutations, and defects>> [skullheaderhalf=000000]Interaction with the Legio[/skullheaderhalf] <<description of the Chapter's interaction with the Legio>> [skullheaderhalf=000000]Related Articles[/skullheaderhalf] <<link any related articles within the Librarium>> The <<Chapter name>> <<Space Marine painter image or other color scheme>> <<Chapter>> Battle-Brother [font="Courier New; background-image:url(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">Date:...............######.M## Ref:................LBC//<<first three letters of author's Legio persona name>> By:.................<<author's Legio persona>> Re:.................Adeptus Astartes - <<Chapter name>> Thought:............<<relevant quote/thought for the Chapter>>[/font] <<one or two brief sentences that summarize the Chapter>> http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">Organization <<description of the Chapter's organization>> Homeworld <<description of the Chapter's homeworld>> Combat Doctrine <<description of the Chapter's combat doctrine>> Geneseed Author <<Note about the author>> <<description of the Chapter's gene-seed source, mutations, and defects>> Interaction with the Legio <<description of the Chapter's interaction with the Legio>> Related Articles <<link any related articles within the Librarium>> Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/251189-diy-article-templates/#findComment-3045378 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Brother Tyler Posted April 22, 2012 Author Share Posted April 22, 2012 (return to INDEX) INDEX ASTARTESTEXT HEADINGS The template below sets headers off using different sizes and making the text bold. Additional changes might be to add underlines, adding color, changing the font style, etc. [center][size=4][b][color=orange]Index Astartes[/color][/b][/size]<<Chapter Badge>> [size=5][b]The <<Chapter Name>> Space Marines Chapter[/b][/size][/center][imageright][img=<<Space Marine image URL (showing color scheme)>>][/imageright][size=3][b]Origins[/b][/size]<<Information on the origins of the Chapter>> [size=3][b]Home World/Homeworld[/b][/size]<<Information on the Chapter Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/251189-diy-article-templates/#findComment-3045421 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Brother Tyler Posted December 30, 2012 Author Share Posted December 30, 2012 Okay, the new mods have given me a kick in the butt to get things rolling on this again. I shifted from the Elysian Green to Moot Green. We'll see how that looks. I've cleaned up the light artifacts I mentioned previously (most noticeable on the Mephiston Red banners). I've also created the images for: Base of Operations Chapter World Fleet Order World I'm going to try to get all of the current crop of header images finished and uploaded over the next few days. The big thing we need to do is figure out common headers that may be used for DIY Adepta Sororitas orders and Chaos Space Marine warbands. The driving factors here will be standard formats such as the Index Astartes article (used for Chaos Space Marine warbands) and the Index Sororitas article. We should also consider the other formats, however. Once we determine how those basic formats will look, I'll create the image headers. Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/251189-diy-article-templates/#findComment-3274190 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Brother Tyler Posted January 1, 2013 Author Share Posted January 1, 2013 The header images with the aquila, bolter, Chaos undivided, and eagle's head icons have been added for all four of the image backgrounds (paper texture, marble texture, Mephiston red, and moot green). I'll upload and link the others as I have time. Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/251189-diy-article-templates/#findComment-3275927 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Brother Tyler Posted January 14, 2013 Author Share Posted January 14, 2013 Okay, I was able to get all of the header images finished while the site was down, and I even expanded the range to include the headers used by FFG in the Deathwatch RPG. However, the current status of the gallery prevents me from uploading the images. Once we get the gallery sorted out, the header images will be populated. In the meantime, we need to think about the addition of the IG to the site and the possibility of players creating homegrown regiments/worlds. So now I'll have to go through my WDs to see if there are any headers specific to the IG. And I'll also take a look at the Adepta Sororitas and the minor orders militant. I think that most of the current crop of headers should be fine, especially since I included a few specific to the Adepta Sororitas, but we might build a template for an Index Sororitas. However, my efforts have been diverted to a few other projects that have to be resolved first, none of which are related to the templates. Once you see those efforts completed, I'll renew my efforts herein. Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/251189-diy-article-templates/#findComment-3282643 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Runesfuer Posted August 3, 2016 Share Posted August 3, 2016 In all honesty, this is kinda confusing. Template wise anyways. Brother Emund 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/251189-diy-article-templates/#findComment-4456464 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dosjetka Posted December 26, 2018 Share Posted December 26, 2018 Corrected code for this Index Astartes template (the Origins header image was missing): [center][size=4][b][color=orange]Index Astartes[/color][/b][/size] <<Chapter Badge>> [size=5][b]The <<Chapter Name>> Space Marines Chapter[/b][/size][/center] [imageright][img=http://<<Space][/imageright][img=http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_9735.gif] <<Information on the origins of the Chapter>> [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_6062.gif] (Home World) / [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_6944.gif] (Homeworld) <<Information on the Chapter’s home world>> [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_1898.gif] <<Information on the Chapter’s combat doctrine>> [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_10327.gif] (Organisation) / [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_7231.gif] (Organization) <<Information on the Chapter’s organization>> [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_3417.gif] <<Information on the Chapter’s beliefs and warrior cult>> [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_13628.gif] (Gene-Seed) / [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_13946.gif] (Geneseed) <<Information on the Chapter’s gene-seed purity/mutations/lost organs>> [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_14189.gif] (Battle-Cry) / [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_12079.gif] (Battlecry) / [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1317590567/gallery_26_6416_8.gif] (Chapter Motto) <<The Chapter’s battle-cry or motto>> <<The next part is only needed if you have special rules for your Chapter>> [size=4][b]USING A <<CHAPTER NAME>> ARMY IN WARHAMMER 40,000[/b][/size] <<Provide the special rules for your Chapter>> Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/251189-diy-article-templates/#findComment-5223440 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Brother Tyler Posted April 14, 2019 Author Share Posted April 14, 2019 With the creation of the downloadable templates and the rebirth of the 1,000 Chapter Gallery Project, I think it's time to get cracking on this again. I'm not sure if I ever incorporated the corrections that Chaplain Dosjetka identified above, but I'll take care of that if they weren't. In addition, I'm looking to revamp this and make it a bit more user-friendly. With the loss of the Librarium, I'm not sure that we need the Legio Chapter Datafile template any more. It's not a template that I ever see anyone use in their articles, its use apparently being isolated to the Librarium articles. If anyone thinks we should keep it, if for no other reason than to provide some variety, we can do that (I'll probably rename it, though). One thing I'm seriously considering is either getting rid of or replacing the current bank of stock header images. I can see a lot of problems with the existing images, especially artifacts around text/images (you can see them very well here). Also, since I've created both the BBCode Guide and Paint Color Hexadecimal Code resources (the latter is still a WIP, though all Citadel colors are shown), we can cross-link between the three for a bit more efficiency. Ultimately, I want to create templates that members can copy and paste into their own topics for the foundation of their articles, filling in the blanks. With the expansion of the B&C to cover the entire range of WH40K factions, the templates need to allow for more diversity, including Necromunda: Underhive gangs, Titan legions, etc. If you have any suggestions, please post them here. Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/251189-diy-article-templates/#findComment-5296485 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Adeptekon Posted 18 hours ago Share Posted 18 hours ago On 4/22/2012 at 5:10 PM, Brother Tyler said: (return to INDEX) CHAPTER DATAFILE The datafile is the basic article that we have in the Librarium for presenting information on a chapter, legion, warband, etc. All related articles on the organization will link from that article. [basicheader=000000][center][size=4]Chapter Datafile: <<Chapter Name>>[/size][/center][/basicheader] [table=[center][basicheader=000000][center]:HQ: Primary Data :HQ:[/center][/basicheader][/center]][tr][td=15%]Founding[/td][td=85%]<<number or year/millennium of founding>>[/td][/tr][tr][td=15]Progenitor Legion[/td][td=85%]<<Name of Legion [<<name of direct predecessor>>]>>[/td][/tr][tr][td=15%]Known Descendants[/td][td=85%]<<names of any known descendants>>[/td][/tr][tr][td=15%]Homeworld[/td][td=85%]<<name of homeworld>>[/td][/tr][tr][td=15%]Allegiance[/td][td=85%]<<Loyalist, Traitor, or Renegade>>[/td][/tr][/table] [basicheaderhalf=000000]Notable History[/basicheaderhalf] <<basic information on the Chapter's notable history>> [captionright=Scheme and Chapter Symbol][center][img=<<image URL>>][/center][/captionright] [leftsidebar=References]<<list references>>[/leftsidebar] Chapter Datafile: <<Chapter Name>> [center :lol: Primary Data ^_^[/center] ]Founding<<number or year/millennium of founding>>Progenitor Legion<<Name of Legion [<<name of direct predecessor>>]>>Known Descendants<<names of any known descendants>>Homeworld<<name of homeworld>>Allegiance<<Loyalist, Traitor, or Renegade>> Notable History <<basic information on the Chapter's notable history>> Scheme and Chapter Symbol References <<list references>> I can't seem to get these to work without showing code. Is it me? I wouldn't think the bbcode would change too much. Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/251189-diy-article-templates/#findComment-6189294 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Brother Tyler Posted 9 hours ago Author Share Posted 9 hours ago All of the banner images were deleted (my only guess as to why they were showing up is that they were cached). More importantly, some of the BBCodes no longer work, especially the tables and captions. At some point, I'll probably create new templates that members can copy, paste, and modify. With the formatting tools/buttons, however, as well as things like the BBCode Guide (many BBCodes will continue to work until Invision decides to stop supporting them), the Paint Color Hexadecimal Codes (still incomplete especially with the Tone range coming out), an article about Understanding HEX Codes, and an announcement about some buttons that were added to the formatting toolbar*, it's much easier for members to create attractively formatted articles. * I wasn't able to get the h1-h6 buttons added, but I think Invision has included them in the 5.0 software that we'll be updating to later this year. * I really need to create a tutorial to help people use the headers, especially with images. Adeptekon 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/251189-diy-article-templates/#findComment-6189369 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now