Work in Progress

Badaab

Hey gang,

Apologies as the the Aerosmith-ing of my title, it was Bad Pun Sunday.

Anyway, some work in progress shots from yours truly. Let me know what you think:

First up is the limited edition Blood Angels Vanguard Vet model. I swapped its head, and that's about it.

gallery_3864_1776_51217.jpg

gallery_3864_1776_322453.jpg

The red armor is close to finished- but I want to apply another highlight to it after seeing it on camera. I'm considering going with an 'old school' feel for this guy, as he's a one-off model for my collection (I bought a second one to convert, but he's still in pieces).

Next up, some unpainted conversion stuff.

First, this:

gallery_3864_1776_245652.jpg

I'm guessing everyone who could picked up at least one of these. I had to travel all the way to GW Denver for mine, and then it wasn't in the greatest shape. I've not done any correction work on the model yet, just trimmed and assembled him (backpack and left arm are held in place with blu tac).

Now, I did manage to score two more of the 25th Anniversary models (one is remaining in the box), and here's the third one:

gallery_3864_1776_291729.jpg

He's still in the concept stage at this point, but I wanted to show the direction he's headed. He'll likely be the sergeant for my Aurora Chapter Sternguard squad. There's a back view as well in the gallery that shows the fist a little better.

Speaking of Sternguard...

gallery_3864_1776_256379.jpg

Here's the concept bolter that my Sternguard marines will be wielding!

Thanks in advance for the feedback, and help keep me motivated!

-Joe

Where is that bolter muzzle from?

Its from the old plastic autopistol that came on the old pistols sprue. I just removed the iron sight on it and flipped it around.

Have the day off today, so I'm getting some more work in on the Blood Angel. Just hope that once I get the model in the photo box the highlighting work on the armor will show up a little better, as I think my desk lighting in washing it out a little.

gallery_3864_1776_235298.jpg

Comments are welcome, as always.

-Joe

It was bugging me that the model wasn't showing up correctly in pictures with regards to the armor, so I tossed him into the photo cube and took some preliminary pics with daylight florescent bulbs to see if its improved. The light placement could be better, but as this is still a WIP shot, I'm not making a huge fuss out of it.

gallery_3864_1776_160671.jpg

I did a little work on the base, started the sword blade, and basecoated all the bits that will be bone as well.

-Joe

Gorgeous red, did you follow GW site or do you have your in method?

Thanks!

I actually took the method that Overdrive described in his World Eaters thread and modified it a little so it'd come out in a brighter shade. I've also used nothing but the new line of GW paints on the armor, as I'm still trying to get a feel for them. All that said, here is the recipe:

-white undercoat

-Wazdakka Red base

-heavy wash with Drakenhof Nightshade

-Wazdakka Red again, leaving the wash only in the hard-edged cracks (ie between armor plates)

-50/50 mix of Wazdakka Red and Evil Sunz Scarlet

-30/70 mix of Wazdakka Red and Evil Sunz Scarlet (here's where I start applying directional highlighting)

-Evil Sunz Scarlet

-50/50 mix of Evil Suns Scarlet and Wild Rider Red

-Wild Rider Red on the extreme edges only

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks! New pics coming soon.

Is it 'soon' yet? I loved your Aurora army from many years ago and I'd love to see how your new project is coming along...

@SCC:

I'm working on the Blood Angel still- its been difficult to find time (or energy) the past couple of days as I've been working non-stop to cover someone's vacation... and then the new CoD announcement from yesterday threw a wrench into my plans for a day off. This weekend should bring a more productive period on the BA Vanguard Vet. After that, we'll see on the Aurora Chapter stuff. I've got to admit though, I'm not as keen on them anymore after seeing GW stick them in the new "How to Paint" book- as people will start to nag about why my army doesn't look like the studio one...blah, blah, blah. Another reason why, is I've got a Grey Knights project kicking about in the wings that I'd like to actually get game worthy. The Aurora Chapter is really more of a vanity project these days.

-Joe

Small update:

Got the jump pack to the point on the Vanguard Vet where I could attach it, but its late, and I don't want to set up the photo stuff because I'm lazy. Had intended to work on it more, but football results from early this morning were disappointing (the FA have horrid judgement), and it left me a little unmotivated to do anything creative...

Also, I've made the mistake of picking up a couple models for the Infinity game, and they're quite nice. Spent part of the day assembling them.

Update on the Blood Angel:

gallery_3864_1776_174745.jpg

And there's a rear shot in the album as well.

And also began work on this minor conversion:

gallery_3864_1776_61312.jpg

She'll likely be done with red armor the same as the Blood Angel, but with an emphasis towards silver and black detailing rather than the bone and gold.

Nice to see some progress mate, looking forward to seeing how the red looks with bone/gold vs silver/black, it'll be interesting to see how much the complimentary colours change the appearance of the main one.

Thanks for the replies... I was beginning to think I was talking to myself with the updates.

Anyhoo, replying from my mobile, so I will have to keep it brief:

@ SCC: I was at a loss for the cannoness model, and shed been sitting about for about a year, so I figured I'd have a go at painting her. I only have about three other SoB models, so if she turns out well, perhaps I'll give them the same treatment and find a way to work them into my GK force.

@Kierdale: I think the depth on the red is suffering a little due to the lighting setup I've used in the pictures. After work today I'm planning on picking up some new bulbs for my studio lights, and hopefully that will help. When I get around to my Audits Chapter Techmarine, I'll also likely start darker with the red, as I'd like some more depth to the armor.

Pictures coming later today... been celebrating, so I haven't had the time to get the pictures of the nearly finished Blood Angel up.

That said- Happy St. Totteringham's Day, everyone!

-Joe

And... he's done.

Not too happy with the photograph, though, so I need to re-jigger my photo setup before he goes into the Hall of Honor side.

gallery_3864_538_124639.jpg

Meant to get some more work done on my Sternguard models, but with a little title called Diablo 3 coming out today (and selling a bunch last night at midnight), I didn't get as much done as I'd have liked to.

Instead, tore up a whole bunch of cork for my Grey Knights' bases...

So, in the meantime, I leave you this:

gallery_3864_7232_404317.jpg

Depressing... ain't it?

-Joe

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Diablo 3 keeps getting in the way of me getting any real work done- and today I'm supposed to be writing reviews for my employees...

But hopefully I'll have some more time to work on painting in the next week, as after Thursday, I have some stay-cation.

Archived