Work in Progress

Badaab

Grr, Diablo 3.

Anyway, I've been off work for the past couple days, and really haven't done much of anything other than build a shotgun prototype for a Necromunda gang project, and then cut some heads off the plug fit marines. Maybe I'll put some pics up tonight, after I get back from Memorial Day stuff. If not, hopefully tomorrow, as I've been neglecting the hobby this week.

-Joe

And... he's done.

Not too happy with the photograph, though, so I need to re-jigger my photo setup before he goes into the Hall of Honor side.

gallery_3864_538_124639.jpg

that red has come out really bright and vibrant, you've done it really well.

may i ask how you did your gold? i really hate the way gw highlight thier gold with silver, but yours looks nice and yellow-y

@DarkAngelDelight:

The gold is a new recipe I'm trying out, much the same as the silver I tried on this model... mixed the base color with a flat color to achieve more even coverage at the beginning. Here's the recipe, best as I can remember:

-basecoat with a mix of Reaper Master Series Antique Gold and GW Snakebite Leather.

-Wash with Devlan Mud (if the area has loads of detail, like the

-Antique Gold.

-50/50 mix of Reaper Master Series New Gold and the Antique Gold

-New Gold

-New gold + GW Mithril Silver

-Glaze with a flesh wash of your choosing.

@DarkAngelDelight:

The gold is a new recipe I'm trying out, much the same as the silver I tried on this model... mixed the base color with a flat color to achieve more even coverage at the beginning. Here's the recipe, best as I can remember:

-basecoat with a mix of Reaper Master Series Antique Gold and GW Snakebite Leather.

-Wash with Devlan Mud (if the area has loads of detail, like the

-Antique Gold.

-50/50 mix of Reaper Master Series New Gold and the Antique Gold

-New Gold

-New gold + GW Mithril Silver

-Glaze with a flesh wash of your choosing.

excellent, seems simple enough. i might have to try this out. just have to buy some of those reaper paints

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Sternguard Work in Progress for my Aurora Chapter!

gallery_3864_1776_81330.jpg

This guy is an older veteran model or Sternguard metal model. Didn't do a whole lot to him except swap magazines, and build the bolter more to the specs I'm using on my Sternguard. Had to rebuild the parchment pieces of the purity seal using foil from a wine bottle, and then added some detailing in GS- the laurels is a feature all the members will be getting on their helmets.

gallery_3864_1776_100541.jpg

This guy I just stuck together last night- although I'm still undecided if I'll leave his left hand free, or swap it for a combat knife. He obviously still needs some GS work (which I've drawn in on the model in marker here). He has the backpack I'll be using on all the members of this squad tacked in place.

gallery_3864_1776_98983.jpg

This one is still pretty WIP, but you get the idea. He still needs construction finalized on his bolter before he can get the GS detailing.

gallery_3864_1776_101937.jpg

Again, not a huge conversion as I just modified the bolter again, but he still needs to have some GS detailing done.

gallery_3864_1776_63332.jpg

And here's the VERY WIP heavy flamer Sternguard model. I'm still undecided about the fuel tank for this one, so if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Hope you've enjoyed my images, and please leave comments!

-Joe

very nice, how did you do the laural?

Thanks! The laurels are pretty simple, just GS and some patience. I might be able to stick together a step-by-step tutorial here tomorrow if there's significant interest, but I have to get in to work in a bit... Luckily I'll be up and in front of the desk with Euro 2012 on again tomorrow (international football is such a waste of time, but there's no club football on for another 3 months... ugh).

-Joe

Aurora Marines !? <_<

Sternguard are looking good Badaab.

Personally I quite like the empty hand on the #2 Marine, it's visually distinctive from 99% of marine poses (where both hands are in use in some fashion, even just pointing).

For the fuel tank, are you thinking backpack mounted or on the HF itself somewhere?

Aurora Marines !? :)

Sternguard are looking good Badaab.

Personally I quite like the empty hand on the #2 Marine, it's visually distinctive from 99% of marine poses (where both hands are in use in some fashion, even just pointing).

For the fuel tank, are you thinking backpack mounted or on the HF itself somewhere?

I know right? About time I put some more work into these guys, as they're not really a force I'll ever field in a game- as I've all but given up being able to play a game of 40k against anyone who plays for fun (its all given way around here to competitive types who are rules lawyers, little kids with no respect for your models, or people with unpainted/single color armies). I do this as a hobby, and to occasionally see my little toy soldiers move around a table besides sit in a glass case.

As for the fuel tanks, I am leaning towards putting them on the flamer, as sticking them on the backpack makes the model look more like a Devastator than I want for my Sternguard guys. And, after playing Space Marine on the console, I think it'd be nice to have heavy weapons that could be used for a period, then discarded in favor of traditional bolters when they run out of ammo/fuel... at least on elite troops like Sternguard, Vanguard, or possibly even on scouts and Assault Marines. As Devastators would be dedicated support infantry, they should have the larger ammo supplies, etc. I see Sternguard more as 'jack of all trades' marines- capable with any weapon at hand (much like Titus in Space Marine).

So... I didn't get the GS work done I wanted to yesterday. In the meantime, here's an Assault Squad sergeant I have in the works. Dunno if I like him or not, but I'd enjoy feedback on the pose and parts.

gallery_3864_1776_78350.jpg

I'm terrible with poses, takes me forever to find something halfway workable once I go past the basic stand there with bolter stage, but from this angle he looks too spread out to me to go with those legs, the momentum isn't quite right. I think. Maybe. I'm not sure. I told you I was no good with poses...

Have you got a different angle? Having two angles might make it easier to assess the balance of the pose properly.

On parts, I like what I see. I think the Crux is maybe a touch too large, but everything else is working for me. Have you picked out shoulder pads yet?

I think if you turned the torso so he was pointing the gun more int the direction of where he is running it would make him look more dynamic. At the moment his arms are conveying movement across the body with his legs running straight on, by turning the torso it should bring the movement all into the same plane.

These chaps are all looking pretty good, id leave the guy with the open hand too.

Are your flash supressors from old 2Ed auto pistols?

Are your flash supressors from old 2Ed auto pistols?

Indeed they are. Just file off the iron sight, and flip them around.

Meant to get more done today after some work... but I found a copy of Super Dungeon Explore at the LGS... so that got in the way as a friend and I learned the rules and assembled some of the models. Great game... very much like the old Hero Quest and Talisman.

For the running yelling assault sergeant's pose; a natural running look depends on the right arm swinging with the left leg, and vice versa. He could be lunging with the sword, pistol arm drawn back. It might even be possible without breaking the waist join. Head will have to twist a little.

See how you go.

Looking good so far

How did you make that heavy flamer?

EDIT - Grey Knight Psilencer and a Dreadnought Flamer?

You are correct, sir- although it may change in the near future as I go further with the model. I liked how the Psilencer had the same right handed grip that the Terminator heavy flamer had, but without requiring too much cutting.

And thanks for the feedback on the sergeant. I think I'm going to stick him in a box for now and build another... I'd like to use some of the Death Company legs (the one with the tabard perhaps).

Archived