Drop Pod Assault Squad?

Montuhotep

Okay, a slight upgrade of my drop pod Devvies question of earlier - I got to wondering whether a ten strong assault squad with 2 flamers, a plasma pistol and a powerfist would work if I removed their packs and put then in a free drop pod. The rules say I can do it but is it a worthy idea? This way I can put Chaplain Cassius with them as well for a little/lot of extra punch.

Problem is that you can't charge out of a pod so for one round of shooting at least they'll be horribly vulnerable.

To mitigate this, with luck, loads of other stuff would be on the table already and getting into the oppos' face. I was planning on using this as a way to chase a guy off an objective before another drop pod full of a tactical squad arrive to claim it.

Thoughts?

this is a solid idea, id maybe drop the plasma pistol though.

ive seen this (and advocated it, for MoTF/dread armies) either this squad or a tac squad with flamer/combi-flamer makes a great bodyguard to a decent MoTF, on the drop have 3 flame templates

I have been on the receiving end of such a unit with my old Daemon hunters. But instead of Cassius he had Vulcan, and instead of a fist he had a hammer (no plasma pistol). As I recall, he came down turn one, and flamed and rapid fired a squad of old Grey Knights in power armor of the table (I think there were 7 or so). I assaulted them with 5 old school DH Terminators and he peeled them of one by one until I charged in with an additional 8 man squad of old Grey Knights in power armor turn 3. But the damage was already done and he won that game. His unit earned there points back and perhaps cost me there game.

The one qualm I have about this unit is that a Sternguard squad could do a similar job, albeit for more points. But they get the same amount of attacks, better specials and better shooting in general for when they come down, it's why I ended up using Sternguard, because they were similar in assault to the Assault squad and had better shooting as well.

But as I said more expensive, so for its points it should do OK. Make sure you drop about 10" away from the enemy, preferably behind terrain, so you don't get shot at too much, and then run to spread out, because your shooting won't do much when you come in, and if you get in close for those flamers there's a good chance most of the unit won't be around next turn. Cassius would be a good idea, more for keeping the unit alive more than anything, he can take krak missiles like a pro.

Good point, although I believe a few Pod armies use a MotF so they can have Dread pods in Heavy Support and still take Sternguard in Elites.

That being said, as you say Assault Marine Pods are a viable Fast Attack alternative.

Vanguard are pricey with packs, not so bad without (but drop pod isn't free)

Yeah, just make sure not to fall into the trap of going crazy with buying upgrades.

Just make sure you buy a Relic Blade.

So, this raises a further question the: how many Vanguard in a pod squad and armed with what?

I have no experience with them at all, you see.

If you do a quick search for "Vanguard" and "thade" you should find a host of useful topics that thade created or posted in, all of which contains his frankly excellent ideas on Vanguard. Basically, round here, thade's the guy you get in for Vanguard's.

In general though he advocated the following squad

1. Power Fist/BP

2. Lit Claw/BP

3. Lit Claw/BP

4. Lit Claw/BP

5. Storm Shield/BP

6. Storm Shield/BP

7. Chainsword/BP

8. Chainsword/BP

270pts, can replace power fist with thunder hammer and/or a lightning claw with relic blade for small increase in points. None with jump packs either, he always ran them out of a Land Raider. The idea here was to cut points cost while having a unit that can deal with most threats and survive. Therefore he came up with a strict ratio of only upgrading half the unit with special combat weapons, and only upgrading half the remaining models with storm shields, round up or down as you wish. Also, no more than one piece of equipment per person. So looking at this unit we see there's 4 bullet shields, two carrying storm shields, so they take the low AP and power weapon stuff first, while the normal guys take the high AP and normal attacks first. The rest of the unit gives you a fair few nasty combat attacks.

So I'd suggest looking at that unit or maybe a smaller version for your idea. While I haven't had the pleasure to try them out yet I've worked them into a few lists on my Army Builder and concluded that for the points cost they'll do a good job. If you do a quick search for him you should find some good things. Also, there's a section of them in C:SM 101, the link of which is in my sig.

I see several good ideas here that I will need to try out myself, but since they've been brought up I'll mention one way I've run Vanguard with jump packs to great success.

I take 5-6 with Jump packs, 1 hammer or relic blade, then a mix of power weapon, lightning claw, and storm shield. With several locator beacons near key locations of the map you have a great area for Heroic intervention. Personally if you do take Vanguard with Jump packs do not do more then 6. For some reason 7 or more just does not work well for its points cost. The idea of running 8 or so out of a Landraider does seem like a really good idea too. Especially with lets say a chaplain.

10 Vanguard with 6 or so upgrades and cassius in a Land Raider is a bullet magnet like few other things.

It will wreck most anything it hits.

Of course if you do it with Blood Angels you can use Death Company and have S5 & FNP

Archived