Which FW 'Raider?

Montuhotep

Okay, list beuilding in preperation for a 3 day tourney in September.

Now, the only reason I don't take a Redeemer or Crusader is that I have no assault-worthy units to put in one. Which leaves me with the above 2 options.

If we take the unknown opposition armies as a given, then which is Tactically more flexible? The stand-off power of 2 Twin-link Lascannons and a Whirlwind Launcher or the more aggressive Twin-Link MM and T-fire cannon?

It's for a 1750 level game and there are rumours of Orks, Sisters of Battle, Blood Angels and Guard for opposition, though that is an unknown for sure.

I'm not sure about the Helios, but the Achilles comes with melta protection, which could be incredibly important. Might have lance protection as well, not too sure about that one.

And the TFC isn't an aggressive weapon, it has a superb range. And at 24" range the MM is nearly always superior to the lascannon, so I'd go with the Achilles myself.

Can you give us the rules... So I assume FW is allowed but are flyers and SH vehicles allowed? Are you playing standard missions or do you have anything else going on?

The Achilles is tougher... Thunderfires can be a major pain to infantry and can threaten light vehicles... They can also be used to slow down units... Melta then helps crack hard tanks. The helios isn't bad... It is not as tough... I would say that is the biggest difference... The Achilles hates going down... It takes enemy fire and just flips the bird at them... I mean railguns and wraithcannons and the like can get it... What do you plan to take in the rest of your list?

Rules for the Tourney are 3 games, at 1000, 1750 and 2000 points respectively. The Raider will only be used in the 1750 and 2000 games. Actual missions come from the book, so are rolled up at the start of the game. It's more a series of games between mates than a proper Tourney and FW is allowed as long as it has the 40k sticker on it; even though the Helios came out before those days, the agreement is that it's okay. Flyers may be used.

Rest of the army is Drop Pod Sternguard and tactical squad, Legion of the Damned and an assault squad in rhino and scouts. One dakka Pred. Heavy Flamer/Multi-Melta speeder.I'm after a unit that, for want of a better expression, can anchor the back for me. Pushing up as needed. Also, may have to pull double-duty as a fire magnet to allow other bits to get into position.

All games to be played on a 6' by 4' board so range is not that much of an issue, really - the assumption is that we'll soon be in each other's faces anyway.

If all you want is an anchor unit have you considered the standard Land Raider? Cheaper, the two lascannons can target separate units. And you can stick a combat squad in it to make it scoring.

Furthermore, it will draw firepower, though being so far back hopefully shouldn't have to worry too much about melta, and can push up with a squad inside and heavy bolters helping with infantry.

Worth a thought?

I'd take the Achilles because for friendly games or my own collection I'd say the TFC is a "Heavy Vulcan Bolter" and scratch build some twinlinked plasma cannon turrets with magnets and have my own land raider varent with no transport capasity and better armor.

I've never seen either used so I'd say pick which one that looks the coolest or has the greater value in your collection because they aren't tourney legal and their use is at the mercy of the venue or opponent.

I would go for the Helios - it's versatile, has the indirect-fire capability of the Whirlwind, and can fire both Lascannons at a single target while using the Whirlwind Launcher against another, all for a decent amount of points. It's my favorite Land Raider variant because of all it can do.

If all you want is an anchor unit have you considered the standard Land Raider? Cheaper, the two lascannons can target separate units. And you can stick a combat squad in it to make it scoring.

The "stock" Phobos Land Raider isn't much cheaper than a Helios, and the Helios can still hold a Combat Squad as well as having the pair of Lascannons. Except for transporting larger units (which the OP said was not required), the Helios is effectively a Phobos+.

In terms of sheer displays of might, the Achilles wins that for only 75 pts more than a stock phobos. First the main gun is pretty great & when encased in an AV14 all-round shell that is resistant to lance & melta fire & is hard to kill even if a pen is scored. Not to mention any enemy armor that gets too close has to contend with a pair of TL multi-meltas. I'm building one for my IF army for our local summer escalation league.

Archived