New to Paints to paint old scheme

bgraves101

Hi all, long time lurker. I am at the point where i am trying to balance the work and personal time. I am picking up the brush again for stress relief.

I am looking to update my blood angels. My goal is to make them similar to the models on the back of the 3rd ed codex. They were a brighter red with maybe a slight gloss.

Any tips on how to get that look?

My challenges.

Red Ink is oop. it worked decent over a blood red coat with shading but the gloss needed to be dull coated and it always seemed blotchy.

Baal Red wash just never seemed right and I feel like it actually highlights the crevices. I use pin wash the joints but I think since it was a lighter color it never looked right.

I purchased all of the new line. The mephiston red seems great. I went through GW's simple progression and did not like at all. The bloodletter seems way to weak. We lost the blood red (fortunately I still have a couple pots) and its "replacement" Evil Suns Scarlet seems like the Bloody Red from Vallejo. More of a pink tone. I was hoping the Blood letter would give it that red "pop"...it did not.

SO the closest I am getting is. (just for the basic armor)

White Base Coat.

Mephiston Red

Devlan Mud wash

Touch up with Mephiston

Highlight with BLood Red

Touches of Wild Rider Red

Then wash of Liquitex Ink Naphthol Crimson (on paper looks like old Magenta Ink on mini it looks like Red Ink but with less gloss, almost a satin).

I really like the look...but it's just not the same as the 3rd Ed codex pic I want?

Thanks for any input and suggestions. I have watched this forum for years and its always been a fantastic resource.

Thanks,

B

I am somewhat in the same boat.

I use to use

White GW spray undercoat

Red GW spray prime coat ... OOP

50/50 mix of Red ink and Chestnut ink to the color consistency of blood as a wash ... Both OOP

As far as to get you to the first prime red layer my thoughts swing you to Army Painter Pure Red or Army Painter Dragon Red. The latter is darker, but they have examples on their website.

I think this is were I will be going for myself.

Light White spray

Army Painter spray

???

Profit.

After the sprays I a not sure what to do. I like the older 3rd edition look as well. The models in the code had a sort of greased coat on the red look to them.

Be honest I have considered stripping my entire army in all its half finished glory to have an even color tone if possible. OCD rules everything.

Would you like to see what mine look like? Maybe it can help form any helpful decision to your next step.

Archived