Ork Boyz equipment

DarkGuard

Hi there guys. A few months ago our LGS got a new Ork player, which is nice because we don't tend to have many of them. So obviously therefore my knowledge of the Codex is limited and I'm not sure what it's restrictions are.

Now, one of the units he constantly runs is 20-30 Boys with a two or three special weapons depending on the amount he has, and a mix of combat weapons and shootas. Now I imagined this was legal, as it's Orks, it makes sense. However, now I'm not so sure. I was playing around with my Army Builder and found that I could only put one or the other in, I could only have all combat weapons, or all shootas.

So either my Army Builder is broke, or this guy has been running the unit incorrectly all this time. I'd wish for it to be the former because I like this guy, genuine nice guy and wouldn't do anything illegal on purpose, and I don't want to have to be the one to tell him he's been running his Ork Boyz wrong.

So Ork Boyz equipment, can they mix them up or not?

I think it says "the entire mob may replace their sluggas for shootas", which would mean that all models have to get the shoota,

The Ork FaQ also has a question regarding teh equipment of the mobs Nob, which does imply that the shoota usually is considered a mandatory upgrade.

Q. If a Boyz mob exchange sluggas and choppas with

shootas, can a Nob take a power klaw or a big choppa?

(p100)

A. You may upgrade the Nob to have a big choppa or

power klaw before you choose to upgrade the mob to

have shootas, in which case the Nob is not affected by

the mob’s weapon swap (as he no longer has a choppa

to swap), does not receive a shoota and keeps his

slugga and power klaw/big choppa instead. He is a lot

happier that way!

OK, cheers Legatus. If he's down at my LGS today (and I'm down there as well) I'll ask him about it, but like AB that suggests it's one or the other.

Thanks, I'll let him know that. ;)

I reckon what he's done is run them separate, didn't like the KPs they gave out, or they died easy, and started running them together and didn't realise, an easy mistake to make I'd imagine, especially if you're just glancing at the standard equipment like most do. If I see him I'll let him know, although he could have figured out by then.

Cheers for the help guys.

I'd just let him designate the squad as one or the other before the game if hes already stuck them together.

My mate does this since he stuck most of his Orks together before playing with them and finding that shootas were a ton better. As long as its consistent its not a bad proxy situation, plus the Orks look better all mixed up. :D

Thanks for the quote Seahawk.

And MagicMan that is most likely what I'd so, especially if he's already brought the army down and not had much chance to change it.

Actually I agree with all your post, Orks do look best mixed up, that's why I never questioned it before. Mix up some combat weapons in a Tactical squad with the boltguns and it doesn't look right. Mix up some Orks though and it still looks like an unruly rabble. :D

This is a hand off topic but in line with what you were saying, and a bit of advice to give your new ork player from a veteran one, whatever it describes for equipment in the rulebook should be considered a challenge. How much armor can he be wearing before its no longer considered "eavy armor"? How big can a choppa get before its practically a DCCW? Squads should be the same, especially because one could easily make the argument: "those arent sluggas, they're shoota that look like sluggas" and be right...

Thanks, I'll let him know that. :)

I reckon what he's done is run them separate, didn't like the KPs they gave out, or they died easy, and started running them together and didn't realise, an easy mistake to make I'd imagine, especially if you're just glancing at the standard equipment like most do. If I see him I'll let him know, although he could have figured out by then.

Nah, I'm guessing that he was used to the old Ork army list, in which you could run mixed mobz of Shoota and Choppa Boyz, and just didn't notice that this changed years ago with the current Ork codex, which separated the two into distinct groups by forcing the all or nothing upgrade for a Boyz Mob.

Valerian

Thanks, I'll let him know that. :P

Nah, I'm guessing that he was used to the old Ork army list, in which you could run mixed mobz of Shoota and Choppa Boyz, and just didn't notice that this changed years ago with the current Ork codex, which separated the two into distinct groups by forcing the all or nothing upgrade for a Boyz Mob.

Valerian

Could be, he was new to the store, not to gaming, and is a very good general, so he could well have been playing the 4th Ed Codex and hasn't cottoned on to that. Certainly he doesn't use Army Builder. :P

Ah, but the Ork codex is 4th edition. ;)

Released just prior to 5th Edition, if memory serves (Orks are one of my armies). It was indeed the 3rd Edition codex in which Orks could field mixed units of Shoota and Choppa Boyz. I distinctly remember having to reorganize all of my Mobz when the current (4th Edition) Ork codex was released.

V

Archived