A tale of 17 gamers

Centurion Michael, and his Cyber-Mastiff Logan (counts-as PW). Terrible photo, sorry 'bout that.

gallery_37532_7179_12111.jpg

Your Centurion is looking good. I definitely like the sculpted hair. I can't say the same for the bolter sculpting work at the moment. I'm not a sculpter and I do not mean to be rude...but I think I will appreciate it better when I see it painted up.

Also, I think an arm brace would look cooler than that stock you used (like the SW storm bolter). The current one blocks the awesome chest detail and I'd hate to see it covered up.

@Kizzdougs Awesome to see those Fire Angels finished up!

@Dirge Caster: A suggestion, good sir? Instead of doing so many 'slots' every month, how about we go by points? This way, each participant can build their army as they wish, and we can all eventually reach 1500 points side by side. Those that finish the points for the month recieve a 'point', and we can add in special challenges to get extra points, allowing those who may have fallen back due to real life issues a chance to catch back up.

Sorry for the late reply to this. I like your idea Heathens. I think that next month we should all do as you suggest and pick what we want to build. We could then post here to let everyone know what we're building and how many points it will cost.

On a side note - after completing last month's challenge early I feel that this month's challenge may be late (despite it only being 2 models!!!). I'm reading a book about Grey Knights and it's consuming every free minute I get. :P

@Hushrong: The stock...*sigh* it was one of those things that was driving me crazy, because, at the angle 'I'm' holding the weapon, it would'nt have worked like the SW version, and the other stocks I had look way to small. Definetley not my first choice, more of a 'lack of different options' issue. As for the sculpting, this was the most detail I've ever tried to sculpt over such a small area, so it was one hell of a learning experience, as I'm not much of a sculpter myself, lol. Hey, at least I tried, right? In my defence, I got the basecoat over it now, and the lion looks much better.

@Dirge: Cool. I think that'll work out far better, since there are a number of C:SM options that I don't have in a Tyrant's Legion list, and I would've eventually been forced to bow out.

@Hushrong: The stock...*sigh* it was one of those things that was driving me crazy, because, at the angle 'I'm' holding the weapon, it would'nt have worked like the SW version, and the other stocks I had look way to small. Definetley not my first choice, more of a 'lack of different options' issue.

I understand that...it's just blocking some good detail work you added to what looks like a mk 4 torso. I recently tried to equip a Fallen with a SB but just couldn't get anything to work the way I wanted so I understand what you mean regarding the lack of options.

As for the sculpting, this was the most detail I've ever tried to sculpt over such a small area, so it was one hell of a learning experience, as I'm not much of a sculpter myself, lol. Hey, at least I tried, right? In my defence, I got the basecoat over it now, and the lion looks much better.

Looking forward to it! What are you using for sculpting? I'd like to give it a shot because GS is starting to give me anger issues.

seeing as youve said you've primed it this is pretty much a "for next time" kind've post now..

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/typhion/gallery_37532_7179_12111.jpg

this is roughly how id've done it (except with miliput, greenstuff, brownstuff and plasticard rather than paint) and then thinned out the bolter a bit too as i think that thing is getting to the point of orkish in how ott it is, id've probably raised the grippy bit and cut down the "sight" to do that.

Don't count me and the Star Phantoms out yet. I've missed the deadline but I'm close to pictures, maybe this weekend.

I'm afraid the star phantoms aren't available as noted in this quote. Sorry. It may be worth checking out the other Badab painting group though.

Don't count me and the Star Phantoms out yet. I've missed the deadline but I'm close to pictures, maybe this weekend.

I'm afraid the star phantoms aren't available as noted in this quote. Sorry. It may be worth checking out the other Badab painting group though.

I see. How much inaction is required before releasing the chapter?

Here is my First "HQ" Vetran Seargeant Obron Somad for my Vanguard Vetran Kill Team.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u489/kingleir/cd4b74c6.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u489/kingleir/a6c51591.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u489/kingleir/dba674fd.jpg

Also I just got my Tartaros Terminators in the mail, so Lord Commander Anteus Ixos, my 2nd Company Commander in charge of a crusade with my own chapter, and 2 others tbd. This Crusade I will be using to create a Terminator Force (probably using deathwing rules.)

Ok, so I know that I'm way behind, being started extremely late and all, but I've got my first WIP marine for you guys but guess what? Drumroll please...

*insert dramatc drum roll*

HE'S PAINTED!

well.... mostly....

There's still a bit of work to do. Need to finish the severed head most of all and I need to do some touch ups on the face plate, but overall, I'm very satisfied with how he came out so far. :)

Enjoy.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/HPIM1602.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/HPIM1603.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/HPIM1604.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/HPIM1605.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/HPIM1606.jpg

@Dirge Caster: A suggestion, good sir? Instead of doing so many 'slots' every month, how about we go by points? This way, each participant can build their army as they wish, and we can all eventually reach 1500 points side by side. Those that finish the points for the month recieve a 'point', and we can add in special challenges to get extra points, allowing those who may have fallen back due to real life issues a chance to catch back up.

Sorry for the late reply to this. I like your idea Heathens. I think that next month we should all do as you suggest and pick what we want to build. We could then post here to let everyone know what we're building and how many points it will cost.

On a side note - after completing last month's challenge early I feel that this month's challenge may be late (despite it only being 2 models!!!). I'm reading a book about Grey Knights and it's consuming every free minute I get. :)

One of the things about this thread i really liked was the challenges - the fact that they were everyone involved's different take on the same theme gave a great sense of community and shared accomplishment. If you take those away altogether, I feel that the thread will loose some of it's essential identity. It becomes just another "group of people share a thread about painting armies". There's nothing wrong with a thread like that and i enjoy reading them, however, that's not what this thread was born of, and in my opinion, not what this thread should become. That being said, i also feel strongly that to bind anyone too tightly to building and painting their army in a way they might not necessarily want to, is a bad thing. Freedom of choice for what to paint is, i believe, as essential as the identity of this thread and the mini-community within it.

Therefore, i propose a compromise between challenge and freedom. Keep the monthly challenges going - as a community we can pick one challenge each month for the next month, along the similar lines of a 5 man squad or 2 HQs. Hell, the voting could even be open to TBC in general - the viewers as well as the participants having some say into what we do seems a fun idea. However, these challenges are purely optional. If you don't want to do the challenge then your free to paint something equivalent,* whatever takes your fancy. There would be no extra reward for doing the challenge - the reward is participation and friendly competition alongside your fellow contributers.

With that in mind, i'm going to say right now that i'm not going to get two HQs done this month. I could get them done, if i wanted to, but i don't want to. One of the things i decided when i was weighing up joining this thread was the fact that i didn't want to do just another Marine army, i wanted to do something a bit more characterful. After delving into the background of the Sons i've had some vague ideas on what i want to do, but as of yet havn't made a start and am a bit stumped in how to do so. Something like a HQ can be a very personal thing, it's the two characters that lead your army, your avatars on the tabletop. I want to put plenty of time into them, make them the best i can with lots of uniqueness and a fair amount of conversion. Sometimes the idea for a HQ can just pop up, sometimes it's something that has to be worked on, has to brew. In the case of my Sons HQs, it is, i'm afraid, the latter. I'm still not sure on the direction i want to go with them and have got ideas for individual parts but no cohesive whole. And i still can't come up with a way to do a mechanical death's head for my Chaplain! (answers on a postcard). There's no way i'm going to come up with two unique HQs that are characterful and converted within the time frame, especially as i joined a good week into the challenge. So, i'm going to switch it up a bit, to show i'm in favour of both freedom and structure. I'm still going to do one HQ, but he'll be a generic GW HQ miniature with a small amount of conversion. Probably just some bionics to set him apart from the stock model. Then i'm going to make a start on the five man squad i missed out on last month and maybe (big maybe) get them done this month. If nothing else i'll get them started and have pics for you guys. I'm 99% sure you won't have a problem with me doing this, but if you do i'll gracefully bow out and let someone else take over the mantle of the Gorgan's Sons.

*equivalent in a very broad sense - what we want here is freedom for people to embark upon their own personal modelling projects, unstifled by any stuffy rules or regulations :P.

Something like a HQ can be a very personal thing, it's the two characters that lead your army, your avatars on the tabletop. I want to put plenty of time into them, make them the best i can with lots of uniqueness and a fair amount of conversion. Sometimes the idea for a HQ can just pop up, sometimes it's something that has to be worked on, has to brew.

This is a perfect description of how I feel about my own HQ characters. I have never used an HQ choice straight from the box and they're almost always heavily kitbashed and/or converted. There have been times when the seed of a conversion idea for an HQ has taken months or even years to germinate, and for me, it's one of the most rewarding parts of the hobby seeing that idea become reality one scrounged bit or dab of green stuff at a time.

I also think you have a very good suggestion on changing the theme of the thread and how the next challenges are picked.

Believe it or not, I'll have photos this weekend. Typing is hard, since I've got a chunky plaster on my left index finger, from slicing and dicing my fingertip while scraping my sergeant's mold lines. (Man... only in this hobby would you get a sentence like that.)

Anyway, to business!

When I was over at GW HQ for the last Horus Heresy meeting, my friend Ead (of Forge World fame) was cool enough to slide me some Imperial bitz, as I'm basically loaded up on nothing but Chaos. I have an unopened Tactical Squad and two Scout Squads, but literally nothing else - and all of my rare bitz are tied up in my future Chaos Marine project.

When he offered "a few bitz", I was kinda expecting a few heads without horns, and maybe some shoulder pads without skulls and eight-pointed stars all over them. It turned out to be a little more:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7071/7377422448_ff00245e8b.jpg

This clocked in at a Rhino, a Razorback, two squads' worth of Minotuars' shoulder pads, Chaplain Enkomi, a boarding squad upgrade pack, a boarding captain, a set of Minotaur Rhino doors, and a Mark III squad.

My first thought was "...dude."

My second thought was "Wait, this won't fit in my rucksack for the trip home."

My third thought was "I'm using Enkomi's head for my Chaos Lord, and that's that."

And my fourth and final thought was "Thanks, Ead. I love you."

So Tactical Squad Khayon is underway. Like I said, pics this weekend. I realise I'm way behind on the deadlines, but I'm calling them guidelines instead, which makes me panic much less.

More on that below. I have some admiring to do.

Thanks gents! Yeah, the cloak didn't come out quite how I liked, but I was my first time painting such a large surface an orange color, so it was a bit of a learning experience. Ah well, I know for next time, lol. Almost forgot the squad pic...they look pretty good together, I must say. A fun change from my Marines Malevolents, to be sure, lol.

gallery_37532_7179_11469.jpg

Holy f--

Dude, these are breathtaking. Just breathtaking. Love everything about them.

Also , one of the things I love about this thread's atmosphere is that someone like, say, 1000Heathens and Kizzgougs don't necessarily make someone as mediocre as me feel like absolute crap. It feels like less of a competition, and more a matter of "Look at the crazy-ass Badab Chapter forces we'll make together by the end of this."

I'm a bit of a carebear, though. I play co-op in practically every multiplayer online game ever. Even Civ V.

Speaking of Kizzdougs...:

Here you go...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN2219.jpg?t=1339051836

Great Googly Moogly. Those are freaking astonishing. Dem eye lenses. Dat crisp silver.

Sooooo, I still need to paint those crux's, but enthusiasm for my Chaplain HQ struck, so I pounced,

gallery_48988_7173_207142.jpg

Chaplains should always be doing at least one of the following three things:

1. Standing in badass repose, at peace, looking like they're about to give a sermon.

2. Lifting a crozius to bring it down on someone's head.

3. Pointing at the guy they're about to straight-up murder.

This achieves 2 of the 3. Thus, I approve.

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk372/kanithon/SAM_1084.jpg

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk372/kanithon/SAM_1086.jpg

Awesomely kinetic. Love these poses.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/HPIM1606.jpg

Dude. The severed head just makes it, but the whole deal rocks on toast.

One of the things about this thread i really liked was the challenges - the fact that they were everyone involved's different take on the same theme gave a great sense of community and shared accomplishment. If you take those away altogether, I feel that the thread will loose some of it's essential identity. It becomes just another "group of people share a thread about painting armies". There's nothing wrong with a thread like that and i enjoy reading them, however, that's not what this thread was born of, and in my opinion, not what this thread should become. That being said, i also feel strongly that to bind anyone too tightly to building and painting their army in a way they might not necessarily want to, is a bad thing. Freedom of choice for what to paint is, i believe, as essential as the identity of this thread and the mini-community within it.

Therefore, i propose a compromise between challenge and freedom. Keep the monthly challenges going - as a community we can pick one challenge each month for the next month, along the similar lines of a 5 man squad or 2 HQs. Hell, the voting could even be open to TBC in general - the viewers as well as the participants having some say into what we do seems a fun idea. However, these challenges are purely optional. If you don't want to do the challenge then your free to paint something equivalent,* whatever takes your fancy. There would be no extra reward for doing the challenge - the reward is participation and friendly competition alongside your fellow contributers.

With that in mind, i'm going to say right now that i'm not going to get two HQs done this month. I could get them done, if i wanted to, but i don't want to. One of the things i decided when i was weighing up joining this thread was the fact that i didn't want to do just another Marine army, i wanted to do something a bit more characterful. After delving into the background of the Sons i've had some vague ideas on what i want to do, but as of yet havn't made a start and am a bit stumped in how to do so. Something like a HQ can be a very personal thing, it's the two characters that lead your army, your avatars on the tabletop. I want to put plenty of time into them, make them the best i can with lots of uniqueness and a fair amount of conversion. Sometimes the idea for a HQ can just pop up, sometimes it's something that has to be worked on, has to brew. In the case of my Sons HQs, it is, i'm afraid, the latter. I'm still not sure on the direction i want to go with them and have got ideas for individual parts but no cohesive whole. And i still can't come up with a way to do a mechanical death's head for my Chaplain! (answers on a postcard). There's no way i'm going to come up with two unique HQs that are characterful and converted within the time frame, especially as i joined a good week into the challenge. So, i'm going to switch it up a bit, to show i'm in favour of both freedom and structure. I'm still going to do one HQ, but he'll be a generic GW HQ miniature with a small amount of conversion. Probably just some bionics to set him apart from the stock model. Then i'm going to make a start on the five man squad i missed out on last month and maybe (big maybe) get them done this month. If nothing else i'll get them started and have pics for you guys. I'm 99% sure you won't have a problem with me doing this, but if you do i'll gracefully bow out and let someone else take over the mantle of the Gorgan's Sons.

Just to bounce in on this, I'm playing a bit fast and loose with the criteria, myself. I could be projecting my own slowness onto the project, but the monthly goals seem pretty generous for interpretation. Like, it could've been "one Troops choice" in the first month, but it ended up as a five-man combat squad at my end rather than, say, a ten-man squad with a Rhino. Similarly, this month (which I'm sure I'll be late for again), I have no real urge to do both my Marine army's HQs (I've no idea what they'd be, yet), but I'll definitely give a Librarian a shot, as that's ultra-tempting. So I'll get half of it done, and pray to the heathen gods of this ancient nation that it still counts.

Same with lateness. With the deadlines 'pleasantified' into guidelines, it's less pressure to nail Model X by Date Y. Accordingly, I'm finding it easier to relax into it. Even if I only nail half of each month's goals, that's still progress - and still provable with photos - and is ultimately way more than I'd have done without the project at all.

Again though, I may just be projecting my own lack of speed, so take all that musing with a pinch of salt.

tl;dr - Dirge Caster strikes me as a friendly soul. I don't feel any Nazi-style jackboots on my throat. I love the structure of "This month, let's try this..." but I also like the idea of flexibility within it, not bound to points or whatever. Like, "one vehicle" can mean almost anything. That's killer.

No wonder FW stuff is so expensive.

KIDDING!

Sorta.

Naw, this was all his stuff. As in, from his bitz, not from the Forge World warehouse. That's why I felt guilty he gave me so much; if it was company freebies, I'd not have thought twice.

Hi. My name's CMID. As usual, I took a wrong turn and tripped off the world, but I'm back. I did get the rough equivalent, I.e. a Rhino and my test marines, complete, so I'm reasonably happy with that, and I'll be chiming in on this, too. Pictures to come at a time other than half one in the morning.

I was just mentioning my opinion because, although I agree this is a very relaxed environment for this challenge (competition is too strong a word), was because when this month's goal was first being voted on, units such as Dreads and such were put forward. As I'm using a Tyrant's Legion army list to build my army, I'm lacking many of the choices y'all have, like Preds, Dreads, techmarines, etc. It would suck for a month's challenge to be to build something I can't have in my army, and effectivley be forced to bow out due to an inability to complete the challenge, because I'm enjoying this 'tale o gamers' quite a bit. Also, I was thinking about those of us who only have so many models / spare cash, and might not be ale to buy / build a Land Raider, or whatever might get voted upon later on. Lastly, all of us have different thoughts on what we'd like our army to look like at the end (I have a hundred and friggin' twenty auxilia guardsman to paint, for example), thus why I put forward the idea of building based on so many points for the month (aka '150 points worth of -insert here-, minimum) while keeping the mini challenges (adding fluff) to add flexibility to this already fun process.

I didn't mean to come across as if Dirge is acting like a tyrant (irony, right?), just that it'd be a bummer if someone felt that they have to drop out because they felt like they're being shoehorned into building an army they don't feel comfortable with.

Toxic's thoughts are pretty solid too. As long as we're all having fun, that's all that matters. ;)

Anyhow, on to my contriversial Centurion and his giant friggin' cannon:

@everyone: Since this Centurion is effectivley 'me', I specifically chose that giant Storm Bolter for a reason. I used to be the M249 gunner in my old squad, and spend nearly 4 years behind that weapon system. It holds a special place in my heart, and has saved my ass, and my squads, on a few occasions, despite it being a big ol' pain in the rear end to lug around. The SB is my representation of my old SAW, 'Stephanie'. The stock, well, I wasn't wild about it at first, but it's growing on me to be honest. It stays. I thank you guys for your constructive critisisms on it, but the weapon is one thing I'm not changing, due to personal feelings. (Admittedly, the lion could've been better, but hey, I'm still learning here, lol)

@The_Chaplain: I used a Chaos Termie TL bolter as the core of the weapon. I shaved off the chain-bayonet, replacing it with the forward stock of a standard bolter, and replaced the old ammo can with a drum from a SW storm bolter. The stock was off of a plasma gun.

@Badaab: Yep, no wrist collar. The arm is Mk. VI, which lack the collar.

Centurion Alixandr, former Tiger Claw:

gallery_37532_7179_17396.jpg

Again, I'm still trying to improve my sculpting, so don't gig me too hard on that. :D .

Your sculpting is improving heathens, don't sweat. I think it looks more than alright. That base with the dead scout and his spilled brains is fantastic - very morbid. The Centurion projects authority, especially with that giant, awesome hammer. Personally not too avid about the choice of head though.

Archived