Question in regards to removing mold lines

War Angel

Sounds maybe a little excessive but not insane. I have three different hobby files I use, round, flat and triangle. With those I tend to get them pretty good. I use the dremel with a sanding pad for crazy areas I may want to hit but I take off a little more that mold lines with that most the time.

Personally I do it before assembly. It's easier to get my blade/file to all the mould lines, while if I did it afterwards it might be difficult to get the tool to some lines (which might still be visible. Under-arms, etc).

Personally, I don't pay attention to how long it takes. It's done when it's done. I hate mould lines, and am compelled to remove them, so I do.

But, I'm a bit of a masochist and can get a little caught up in the details. Sometimes that means more time than many people would spend, but I think the results are worth it. I have to live with the end result after all, so I don't want to think "would have / should have / could have", when I look at a model.

Personally I do it before assembly. It's easier to get my blade/file to all the mould lines, while if I did it afterwards it might be difficult to get the tool to some lines (which might still be visible. Under-arms, etc).

Same, I do all mine before assembly.

Mould lines are a real pain in the ass but I find painting a bigger one :P . I use a scalpel to scrape away the mould lines though on odd occasion I need to get the GS out to correct gouges as I have been a bit over zealous (must be the BT player in me :P ). For the real nasty parts I use a selection of needle files to get the job done. I don't tend to count how long it takes me but it don't take me too long. I always take the mould lines off as soon as I have removed the piece from the sprue.

Archived