Dealing with Draigowing

bjoluemblem

It's a good thing then that 8 Paladins take up more points than 8 Hammernators, enough points to bring in the support to whittle down those 8 Paladins to less, when they're much less scary.

Remember, 40K isn't just about send this unit against this unit, there's more to consider. Draigowing armies will always be outnumbered, and as it's a mech edition most players will have a lot melta and krak missiles, maybe lascannons. Properly applied this can whittle down Paladin unit into more easily manageable sizes for assault units like Hammernators. Sure 8 Paladins is nasty, but when that's only 4 Paladins I'd put my money on the Hammernators.

I played a Draigo list on Friday. It was brutal, because it contained two land raiders.

The list went something like.

2000 points.

Coteaz

4 henchmen squads in razorbacks with twin linked las cannons.

A squad of 7 or so GK terminators (not pallies) with Draigo in a Land Raider Crusader.

Another squad of GK terminators in another Land Raider Crusader.

We played two games. He wiped me out the first time, I tabled him the second time.

I used two different lists. The second was much more effective.

Basically, I was able to pop one Land Raider with some MM attack bikes and threw a Furioso Librarian at the Terminators who fell out. They stayed in combat the entire game.

Draigo broke off from his squad of Terminators to charge another of my attack bike squads. I was able to multi charge him alone with a few squads and wipe him out. I think he caused two or three wounds.

The other Terminator squad ate 4 melta guns, 20 bolt pistol rounds, several missles, and the kitchen sink. They lost enough men to break and I was able to keep them from reforming.

Anyway, Draigo + Terminators and a Land Raider is insanely difficult to deal with. They basically get a 20 inch charge and are protected from shooting attacks. Your only hope is to pop that Land Raider and hope for the best.

But why run Draigo at all then? If you want Grand Strategy then a normal GM is better. Give him a force sword, rad grenades, MC and digi weapons and he's also very killy, but a lot cheaper, giving more points for another Terminator etc. Interesting choice.

With that list, it's a Raider list, so alpha strikes on the Land Raiders are vital. If you can take them out with fast/podding melta early on then the list becomes a lesser version of proper Draigowing, less wounds, less wound allocation, and fewer psycannons.

The really annoying thing I find with C:GK lists at the moment isn't Draigowing, but Coteaz lists. Everyone seems to fit him into a list, even when it isn't that fluffy. I've seen people use as a second HQ, just to get his reserves rule. Of course, considering the last 4 or 5 C:GK games I've played have had him, I'm probably just tired of facing him, much like when you play Eldar lists that always have Eldrad, or C:SM lists that always have Vulkan.

I agree with you about Coteaz.

I think he is by far the bigger threat in the GK codex.

I saw a list with him in a tournament that ran something like. (I'm not an expert on the GK codex, not sure how everything was structured)

6 razorbacks packed with melta gun henchmen and 3 death cultists

2 rifle dreads

A few grey knight squads in razorbacks. They all had heavy flamers.

A Land Raider Redeemer with Coteaz and Death cultists.

Everything had psybolt ammunition. Razorbacks were a mix of heavy bolters and assault cannons.

It was just way too much shooting to deal with and the death cultists made assaulting them a poor choice.

Archived