Dealing with Coetez spam

AGPO

One of my regular opponents armies features very nasty CC units of death cult assassins and crusaders in a rhino. The sheer number of high initiative power weapon attacks plus the invulnerable saves given by the crusaders' storm shields are giving me a real headache. Worst of it is they're cheap and available as troops thanks to having Coetez as his army leader. Has anyone else come up with a way to deal with this type of squad?

What type of list are you running? Getting that unit foot slogging should be your number one priority. You should have a turn to react to him though since he can't assault out of a rhino if it has moved. If he moves forward and stays in the tin box, surround the rhino with troops and try to trap the unit inside.

-DA

Making them footslog is big. As is making them take lots of saves. I don't know of any great BA tricks to do it but as vanilla marines Null Zone combined with just about anything works wonders on them. Also I do not believe they have frag grenades so making use of cover is another great way to slow them.

The hard part about those units is the sheer number of attacks the Death Cults get and the high durability of the crusaders. Once again lots of shots or catch them with units they can't beat.

Also with dealing with Coteaz, a single thunder hammer will work. He has no invuln and a single high strength swing will bring him down.

One unit that I had a lot of luck with was an Assault Terminator squad with mostly TH/SS and a chaplain. If you get the drop on them you can ruin their day. Especially if you have a Librarian with Null Zone nearby. They killed Coteaz and two of aforementioned squads and only lost one terminator.

Multimelta attack bikes as interceptors - the AP1 will increase your chances of getting an "Explodes" result on damage table taking out a large portion of those guys. Failing that shoot them to death.

Fear of the darkness helps too.

Failing all of that, make sure you're in cover - since they dont have frag.

Archived