One unit or Item You'd like from Vanilla

captain sox

Hey folks,

I have all of the Space Marines Codex, and I was curious if there was ONE onle ONE thing you'd like to field as a DA player, that isn't in our Codex, what would it be?

I'd love to field the Land Raider Redeemer. Those Flamestorm Cannons are awesome looking.

Let's have some fun!

SO we are just talking the Vanilla dex? In that case I would go with the Master of the Forge.

Yeah, my post was kinda vague. I own all the Codex, and each is a bit different, and have some interesting units, but I was wondering what single unit from Codex: Space Marines we'd like.

SO we are just talking the Vanilla dex? In that case I would go with the Master of the Forge.

Yeah, my post was kinda vague. I own all the Codex, and each is a bit different, and have some interesting units, but I was wondering what single unit from Codex: Space Marines we'd like.

Well, you see... the Dark Angels Codex pretty much blows chunks. There is nothing in it that makes our codex better or unique enough from the Space Marine Codex to merit a Dark Angels codex in the first place.

Every unit we have is at best equal to something in the Space Marine codex. At worst, it's so far sub-par that it's not even worth fielding. Librarians come to mind because of the craptastic psychic powers we have. Command Squads when a Veteran Squad in the same codex is cheaper and has more options!

A single unit? :) How about all of them? I can point at all the units in the Space Marine Codex and give reasons why they are better/could replace/should be in the Dark Angels Codex.

I just hope that GW doesn't screw us over again...

Well let's try and keep this from GW-bashing if we can please ;)

The one unit or item I'd like is:

Item: a liberal supply of Relic Blades to chuck around. Just for looks of course :).

Unit: tough choice, but I too am going to opt for Scouts as Troops.

Well, you see... the Dark Angels Codex pretty much blows chunks. There is nothing in it that makes our codex better or unique enough from the Space Marine Codex to merit a Dark Angels codex in the first place.

My, aren't you in a foul mood. What I would like, although it can't really be said to be in the main codex per se, is named characters from the successor chapters. One from each would be nice, along with some fluff so we can see a bit more of the personality of each successor chapter.

I would like to have our "Company Veterans" function like Sternguard.

Thunderfire Cannons would be nice.

Company Masters with the option to take a bike or terminator armor. (Belial and Sammael are great... but I would like to have some terminator or biker captains to augment their stuff.

Very respectfully,

--Josh

Sternguard ammo for our Deathwing squads.

Corrected for you :D... Also makes shooty Deathwing more viable when compared with thunderhammers and storm shields.

Although I should note that I don't want to lose vets... they can have the ammo as well :P

To those who said scouts as troops, would you still say that if they were BS & WS 3 like the 'nillas? Personally, I'd keep them elite just to hang onto that BS 4 =P

for me, my one thing would be a 12 man drop pod like the vanilla's got. Cheaper or not, I don't care, I'd just like to be able to drop Azrael in with a full tactical squad.

To those who said scouts as troops, would you still say that if they were BS & WS 3 like the 'nillas? Personally, I'd keep them elite just to hang onto that BS 4 =P

If BS & WS 3 Scouts (as Troops) is the price of parity, I have no problem with that. Parity means we have to take the good with the bad.

It would also mean that there would actually be some good in addition to the bad for a change...

I'm not sure how many DA players use scouts, but don't really see them as being very useful right now. as least as troops, they'd make a cheap backfield scoring unit and I'd be perfectly fine with their BS/WS 3. If we got ravenwing scout bikers though, they'd better be BS/WS 4 considering their role in hunting the fallen.

If we got ravenwing scout bikers though, they'd better be BS/WS 4 considering their role in hunting the fallen.

If we were to get Scout Bikers that wouldn't be a concern, as they wouldn't be Ravenwing anyway, they'd be Scouts and so 10th Company (not 2nd Company/RW and would therefore also not have any of the RW rules).

for me, my one thing would be a 12 man drop pod like the vanilla's got. Cheaper or not, I don't care, I'd just like to be able to drop Azrael in with a full tactical squad.

In a regular army Scouts have to compete with dreadnoughts and terminators. at least in troops section they only have tactical squads to compete... Disregarding the fact that termies and bikes can be troops albeit through the use of special characters, it would be healthy to have some other things to field in Troops slot other than tacticals. Even if it meant have vanilla stat scouts. Plus it would validate my Scout army project that was interrupted when DA> codex came out.. so I have selfish reason to ask for Scouts as Troops. :D

I don't know why you guys are focusing on what everyone else has that we should have.

How about spending this energy on making something for us that everyone else will want in their book.

There's the DA Codex Development section for it. This thread is just the harmless "what if" kind of threads that pop once in a while. ;)

If we got ravenwing scout bikers though, they'd better be BS/WS 4 considering their role in hunting the fallen.

If we were to get Scout Bikers that wouldn't be a concern, as they wouldn't be Ravenwing anyway, they'd be Scouts and so 10th Company (not 2nd Company/RW and would therefore also not have any of the RW rules).

That is of course only by current fluff. GW can change it how they see fit. Isn't the whole RW only deploy mounted idea only as old as our current codex (or that they are the only company)? Scout bikers in the RW are pointless to me though, I'd rather them scratch the ridgidness that the RW never go anywhere without a mount and have elite RW brothers in scout armor when the mission calls for it. Or I would, if the Space Wolves didn't already have them.

That said, I'd really just rather have standard vanilla scouts as troops. There is no solid reason to have them taking up and elite slot (which again supports that fact that GW will do as they please, obviously doing it as a balancing act). In my opinion the elite slot represents not only a spot for more veteran type troops but also represents a certain amount of rarity in an army. Scouts really do not fit either role.

Oh and a Land Speeder Storm to go with them.

I don't know why you guys are focusing on what everyone else has that we should have.

How about spending this energy on making something for us that everyone else will want in their book.

Ya we tried that. Where have you been? Linky

Isn't the whole RW only deploy mounted idea only as old as our current codex?

Actually no. Mounted RW go all the way back to the beginning of the RW. V2 Angels of Death Codex (1996)...

Archived