Marking for Units

captain sox

Hi folks,

Another question in regards to unit makings. How do you number or identify different units of the same type? For example, I have 2 Tac Squads, an Assault Squad and a Dev Squad (all robed). On the SM decal sheet, there are the numbers 2, 3, 6 and 7 in the DA special font. However, on the Vehicle deccal sheet, there's 1-10 in that same font but they are much larger. How would you mark the right shoulder pads?

What if you had 3 Tac Squads 2 Assault and 2 Devs?

I'm acting as if they are all from the 3rd Company. Would this be somewhat doable:

Tac 1: use the #2 on all models

Tac 2: use the #3 on all models

Dev 1: use the #2 on all models

Assault 1: use the #2 on all models

Since, to my understanding the second company has 6 Tacs, 2 Assault and 2 Dev this kinda makes sense. Since there are only 2 of each squad, why have a 6 or 7?

does this make any sense?

Tactical Squads in Companies 3-5 are numbered 1-6, Assault Squads are 7 & 8, and Devastator squads are 9 & 10.

Or you can do like I do, and just put the squad type designator down and not worry about the numbers.

See page 58 of C: Dark Angels for the standard method of Company/Squad identification for the Dark Angels. It is all right there, and they make it really simple by showing you pictures of everything.

I used 2&3 on Tac Squads (6 is reserved for the next one).

7 is indeed for Assault squad.

and I reverse 6 and painting a " _ " on the bottom to get 9 for dev. squads. But most of my devs have freehanded 9.

Veteran squad and command squad has no number, only company designation. (You can use "skull" decal for them as well as veteran shoulderpads from DA upgrade sprue).

Veteran squad and command squad has no number, only company designation. (You can use "skull" decal for them as well as veteran shoulderpads from DA upgrade sprue).

Well, Veteran squads are supposed to take the place of Tactical squads. So it stands to reason that the Vets will take a squad number from 1-6. That's how I think of it.

Well, Veteran squads are supposed to take the place of Tactical squads. So it stands to reason that the Vets will take a squad number from 1-6. That's how I think of it.

My vets squad is called out as Tac Squad 5 of the 5th. Command squads have a red skull, I'll get around to numbering them at some point.

Forgeworld makes a sheet that has enough of all the numbers to do a full company plus a few for boo boo's. Personally I scrounged out a bunch of old sheets, then bought the FW sheet anyway.

Archived