My Cardboard Titan

So like a lot of people out there I wanted a titan to play around with but am nowhere near saving up enough money to buy one of these beautiful models. That left me with the choice of making one myself or finding one second hand somewhere. I decided to try this out for myself so I went hunting online for the pdf plans I knew already were out there. This is gonna be just a little recording of my pictures and some thoughts as I go through this build. I have never built anything like this and my only customization experience is kit bashing some models together so if I can succeed at making this thing anyone can. I also fully intend to use this thing in games so not only is it a mockup for the one I'll eventually make out of plasticard but it needs to look decent on the table.

A few things for people wanting to try this out:

-Keep an envelope near you for your pattern pieces. I learned this from clothes making and it will help a lot with keeping a clean workspace.

-Someone might think it's just cardboard and paper but make sure you get a good pair of scissors and a new hobby knife blade. Blisters aren't fun and there is a lot of cutting involved here.

-Make marks on your pattern pieces and your actual model. The model will be painted and you can always cut out a new pattern piece. Things like what the piece is, where it joins to, and how many you need are good info to have on the actual piece you are using.

How about some pics to start this thing off....

The pile of boxes hopefully becoming a titan, baby formula boxes are strong stuff

gallery_65253_7195_509984.jpg

The plans I'm using

gallery_65253_7195_579636.jpg

The beginning of the foot

gallery_65253_7195_356250.jpg

One foot assembled and with a marine for scale, this is where the scale of my project started to set in

gallery_65253_7195_39565.jpg

gallery_65253_7195_475937.jpg

The legs taking shape

gallery_65253_7195_307220.jpg

gallery_65253_7195_626948.jpg

I stopped making the legs here and loved onto the waist and hips since I had to wait for glue to dry

gallery_65253_7195_663485.jpg

That's all I could do tonight since I have to wait for glue to dry to be able to put the waist onto the legs. I'm excited about this and really looking forward to making a plastic one once I get this mockup done.

Plastic, cardboard or otherwise, having your own titan is quite an accomplishment. I look forward to seeing the progress.

ah the great craft of Paper hammer. I wish you luck on the Titan brother. I myself have attempted that exact template several times and while the template is very solid, I always found my finished products lacking somehow.

Alright update time. I have discovered some balance problems kind of like I thought there would be but that will just take some support on the right areas once I get the pistons and details being put it. I also need to figure out how I'm going to get rid of all that god awful tape with losing too much structural strength. Lesson learned, next time more time and more glue will be used. I want to spray it right now just to see what it will look like but I'm going to wait until I get the pistons put on. Time for some pics.

A couple views of the torso

gallery_65253_7195_89034.jpg

gallery_65253_7195_157961.jpg

Major pieces ready for assembly

gallery_65253_7195_380639.jpg

Finally a couple pics of him with all the pieces sitting together (not glued yet)

gallery_65253_7195_775230.jpg

gallery_65253_7195_152698.jpg

That's one of the reasons I want to spray it to find out. I'm going to wait until I get it cleaned up a bit mroe first though. Weapons will probably get built once I get the main chassis looking a little nicer.

That's one of the reasons I want to spray it to find out. I'm going to wait until I get it cleaned up a bit mroe first though. Weapons will probably get built once I get the main chassis looking a little nicer.

When I was painting some styrofoam for a display board I found some stuff called MagicKote. You could use that in a very thin layer on the cardboard first and then spray it and it should be just fine. It allowed me to spray paint styrofoam so I know it should work on cardboard.

I'll keep an eye out for that stuff. I'll be doing a test piece first of course just in case. If it doesn't work I'll just do a basecoat in paper friendly paint instead of spray.

I built & painted one myself. I spray primed it black using the cheap stuff from wal-mart, then used the cheap craft paint on it. Took about... 4 coats of a color very similar to ultramarine because even after being primed it kept sucking up the paint & drabbing out the color. I then sprayed it with 3 coats of clear cote to seal it. It's now pretty much as hard as plastic & very durable, having been used in several games.

Good to hear. I was thinking along the same lines myself. I was also thinking that if I'm going to be spraying such a thick layer I probably don't have to remove all the tape since the paint will even it out.

Looks lovely so far, and seems to have inspired a few others as well as me.

I just had a general question for anyone who might know - Im lacking in baby product cardboard boxes, well, any cardboard boxes for that matter.

Does anyone have a thickness or type they could recommend for me to try my hand at the titans? (in the UK if that helps)

TJ

I found in my search that most food products come in pretty sturdy card. Canned goods need very tough boxes so they don't break and you can usually find a product that has a suitable card. If nobody you know uses the stuff then you can ask the grocer for their boxes. The stuff I'm using is about the same thickness as cereal boxes. Just stay away from thick stuff if you plan on just scoring and folding like I did. If you want to go for thicker card then you can treat it like foamboard and cut it then paste it together. You would avoid the ugly tape that way.

Also pistons and shin armour are done on the legs I'll get a pic of them up later.

Archived