Nurgle Decimator WIP

To start this off with something off-topic: Isn't it surprising that there are virtually no painted Decimator models on the web? I mean, the model's been out long enough to get one shipped to New Zealand -- and all I could find, online for maybe 3 weeks, is this one by ThirdEyeNuke Studios ...

I got one after I saw somebody trying it in a 4000 pt Carnage game (using a Dreadnought as proxy). It had a mark of Nurgle and did a fantastic job; it got up again, and up again, so many times. Now I've got mine here. I spent ages cleaning flash bits from the torso, and fitting all the misfitting leg joints to an acceptable state -- I know people who think Forgeworld ships all their miscasts down to NZ, because they know we're hesitating to return the stuff the three times it'd take to get it right --, but I'm sort of happy.

Now I'm thinking about the head. It's not that I don't like it, but it doesn't go too well for the Nurgle look I'm after. I was thinking about a single horn ... And then I found that FW Death Guard Terminator torso among my stuff. I think it'd go fine as shown on the picture (which is a sloppy Photoshop job just to communicate the idea)?

gallery_63799_6815_22059.jpg

Yet I'm unsure -- if I did it, I'd have to be sure and really do it. It'd cost me a precious Terminator bit I'd need otherwise (for a Terminator, obviously) and with the Decimator, er, neck wasted there'd be no way back.

So what do you think? Any advice or opinion, pro or con, is greatly appreciated. :D

I'm actually considering to try to get the full model done in 4 weeks' time. There's a painting competition I'm considering to enter, and I'd have 4 weeks if I did. I'm usually very slow with this stuff, and I'm not really expecting me to make it. Yet it's a motivating idea. And I'll keep updating here. There are too few Decimators on this forum anyway. :lol:

Cheers, JT

Okay, I'm not an expert in any way but I do have vision.

So good sir my first thought is thus I do not think that is the way to go or at least not in full it seems slightly out of place in my opinion. Second a simple idea guitar string and green stuff out the bottom of the head already there to form a gas mask esque head possibly with the addition of a subtle horn. I however also think that the chaos knight head with the grill style face plate ( kind of diamond shaped with a bunch of holes in that portion to facilitate vision etc.) the horns on this helmet would need to be replaced however.

Just some thoughts, key though would be to keep the slimmish nature of the head it works well with the body, and gas mask it up man, single horn is very thematic by not necessary.

Just this humble tinkerer's thoughts hope they help.

I'll be honest, I'd love the idea and I would say go for it IF it was a Dreadnought! However, Decimators are as far as I'm aware Daemonic Engines created to make up for the lack of Contemptors in the Traitor Legions / Renegade Warbands. Kinda like a bipedal Defiler!

None of that is very helpful, but if you're trying to capture the "Death Guard" look with the unique vertical grill plate and horn then I imagine a little work with some plasticard and sculpting medium would work well.

Still, it's your model and I will follow what happens anyway. I know what you mean about the dodgy joints, mine too were a righteous pain to sort out!

Hope my mumblings help. :huh:

At the risk of joining an army of nay-sayers, I feel that Terminator body is too small, and you might end up getting some Dreadknight comparisons. I think your best bet would be to work with the original head to achieve that Nurgley look. But hey, I'm interested in seeing whatever you come up with whatever direction you go with

Honestly I think that the cables from the terminator body complement the sculpt of the decimator quite nicely and, if you remove the boxy part of the terminator, and add in some more cabling up top, it would mesh quite well, aesthetically speaking (even though the head may be a bit tiny). From a fluff perspective, however, I'll concur with Mr. Feral. There's nothing that suggests that there is only one pattern of Decimator engine, however, and I'll contrast with Jimmy's notion that a comparison to a dreadknight may not be a bad thing, in this case.

Before you start cutting and gluing, tac it in place for a while and see if it starts to grow on you, or starts to bother you. Ultimately they're expensive models that aren't very easily repaired, so it's up to you.

I think I might have to join the other naysayers. You're using a toros + head to replace an area that was occupied with just one big head. Now you have this smaller head that seems too small in my opinion for the bulk of the rest of the mini.

Side note, as someone mentioned a Dread Knight, you could spin this as a daemonic Dread Knight of sorts who's pilot has become part of the machine. That's really just a fluffy explanation around the composition dilemma.

I think using that torso would give too dreadnoughty look. Instead of "wasting" brand new termie torso, I would take the Decimator head, plasticard, some GS and make it look similar to that terminator head, add a grill or holes to the mask, and then maybe a horn and blisters.

HI

I think that using the terminator body is a really bad idea, just because for aestetic reasons. It just looks like a terminator with huge shoulderpads. Use the original head and convert it instead.

Thanks very much for your replies, guys, :lol:

I was worried I'd get a mixed bag -- but I think it's a definite Nay, and I do get the point. I like the Octoape's idea with the gas mask, and I might have an idea how to do it.

However, the bad news is: I spent the better part of yesterday's modelling time trying to clean up my storm laser. I failed. If you ever get to get a Decimator, don't do as I do and go for a storm laser! Do N-O-T get a storm laser! I wouldn't say I've had a particularly bad cast. But I do say I reckon it's so detailed, it's just impossible to cast it properly at all. I mean, seriously, why would you sculpt something as ambitious -- like, with 4 supposed-to-be straight and parrallel gun barrels framing a 5th, having a coil-like structure -- when you can't cast it properly on a production scale. I ... Ok, I'll stop ranting. Long story short: I wasted my storm laser and halted the Decimator project for some time. Probably long enough to not make it in 4 weeks.

I'll keep you updated, however. Until then, here's a shot of the leg pose I'm going for.

gallery_63799_6815_15554.jpg

Cheers, JT

Hey Jay! Cool idea. Sorry to hear you had a bad finecast cast. I recently had one of those myself :-/ But here are some thoughts

1. Are you able to get some Liquid Greenstuff? I recently tried it for the first time and it works WONDERS on filling in gaps, filling bubbles, and cleaning up/fixing finecast models. Maybe you can try it!

2. My friend said something really insightful the other night: "Not all gifts from Chaos are good". I'm building an obliterator that has one mech foot and one regular foot. As a result he leans to the side, like this

gallery_61979_6586_31143.jpg

Terrible? Maybe. But maybe he didn't get to choose getting that foot. Or maybe it was an awesome foot upgrade, but could only do one. Either way - it's part of being Chaos. Why do some guys get awesome magical swords, guns, and Daemonic abilities, and other devouted servants get turned into gibberish mush? No reason; it's Chaos. That's what happens.

So when you say "4 supposed-to-be straight and parrallel gun barrels framing a 5th, having a coil-like structure"... maybe you can just make it part of the Chaos gig? :) I mean, this is *Nurgle* we're talking about, right? The god of decay, rotting, and breaking things down? It seems to make great thematic sense if a Nurgle-gifted gun has a melted barrel, oozes to the side, and is rusted away. It's Nurgle! Maybe this is actually an opportunity to theme-up your storm laser by showing how it's melted and rotted and bends to the side? It's filled with pus! It explains the turns when he misses! But OH MAN, when he hits, LOOK OUT! Nurgle is on his side! :D

Anyway, not sure if you want to use it that way, but it might be fun to use the warped storm laser and Nurgle it up a bit ;) Could help you turn your warped cannon into extra awesome flavour (just think - nobody in the world probably has the exact same Nurgle cannon as you!)

HTH. Feel free to post pics of the laser!

culix

Archived