DA Helmet Markings

I'm in the process of painting some power armoured marines and looking at a few dexes it got me thinking.

Dark Angels 3rd through 6th(?) companies follow Codex organizational lines.

The codex astartes denotes using Helmet Colours to distinguish between veterans, sargeants, and regular marines.

Would a Dark Angels tactical Sargeant have a Red Helmet (with white laurel if vet)?

I haven't seen any examples of this type of thing being done outside of Ultra's as far as painted mini's goes, and especially none for DA.

Opinions?

No* Dark Angels and Successor chapters do not have any uniform identifiers for Sargeants or Vets outside of the optional Robe.

*They are your minis. You paint them the way you want to.

Recent iterations of the DA haven't followed codex markings - not since second edition in fact. Earlier dioramas and the like did depict some DA with red helmets but that was it. So there are no distinguishing features other than daggers or robes (or weapons of course!). I've noticed that some of the Codex colour schemes for other armies have been dropped - I rarely see Blood Angel devastators with blue helmets and few of the marines sport black shoulder pad trim (or the reverse scheme for the sergeants). So it probably doesn't matter too much. I don't tend to paint them with red helmets, if that's any help!

Actually from what I can tell, in Angels of Death - which is 2nd. Ed. - the Dark Angels have the current markings depicted. The Blood Angels, also part of it, however have the codex standard helmet colors. Or was there pre 2nd ed. before that? Maybe these dioramas were just one-off type things Gilly?

Perhaps Rogue Trade era? Different system entirely, but the DA were noted to follow it. Of course, people generally take that as Pre-Heresey times now considering they were in black and had the old logo. And it also predates much of the current fluff.

And perhaps you are referring to Yellow Stripe's work with his different colored helmets on his Guardians of the Covenant.

Regardless, our current dex shows pretty well that DA use no such color-driven organizations for helmets or shoulder pad rims. But as Borther Dean, said, they are your models. Add accents as you see fit.

My Stoneburners use a red stripe down the center of the bone-colored helmet to denote those with the rank of sergeant in their First Company "Deathwalkers" or those that have passed beyond this rank, but it has nothing to do with being Codex adherent.

I don't recall the DA ever actually using Codex Astartes markings.

I decided to use red helmets for my terminators and my veteran sergeants. I originally did black with the red stripe, but ended up liking the look of just red more. Again, like everything, it is all personal preference for your models.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/IMG_4007-Copy.jpg

Actually from what I can tell, in Angels of Death - which is 2nd. Ed. - the Dark Angels have the current markings depicted. The Blood Angels, also part of it, however have the codex standard helmet colors. Or was there pre 2nd ed. before that? Maybe these dioramas were just one-off type things Gilly?

Sorry, I wasn't clear - that is what I meant. Prior to Codex Angels of Death the DA were sometimes portrayed as having different coloured shoulder trims and helmets. The Codex chnaged that to the schemes we know now.

ive been thinking about this question myself recently. while im all for the successors mirroring the markings of the DA themselves, I wonder about some of the codex markings being incorporated to later foundings...unfortunately, i have seen nothing in gw print that would go for it...

@candleshoes... that red helmet on the terminator looks damn nice. i might have to go that way myself....

Try Consecrators :)

They carry the old style stripe and the black armour... Although I think that currently the red stripe for the first Legion is retconned...

Yes, although they're all basic troopers according to that stripe.

I was referring mostly to the rank stripes for veterans, sergeants, captains, and the like.

Try Consecrators :)

They carry the old style stripe and the black armour... Although I think that currently the red stripe for the first Legion is retconned...

Yes, although they're all basic troopers according to that stripe.

I was referring mostly to the rank stripes for veterans, sergeants, captains, and the like.

they look a little strange...at least when i tried some on test models....but thats just my perspective... the red/white helmet markings from insignium astartes apparently dont look too bad though.

Archived