SR+skies of blood

BloodTzar

Hello brothers,

the other day we have been playing an apoc game 12k per side ( Ba+Iron war's VS. IG) I took my Ba force, namely SR's.

One rule problem struck our game however. I have moved my Sr with loc beacon flat out (24") and i wanted to use SoB special rule to get my dread out to bake n frag a juicy blob. The question is, could I place the dread 6" from SR's stand ? Moreover could a PA model do the same ?

Thak you for help

~BT

Oh I see your question now. Well the rules say deployed as if it were deep striking, so the logic is sound.. I don't imagine this was what the dev team had envisioned the beacon being used for, but I can't think why it wouldn't be allowed, short, perhaps, a minor poor taste factor.

First of all, many thanks for quick help

However one question, could I place the dread 6" in front from the SR with no scatter ? I just cannot find where the rules stays SoB works like vendettas, that models had to be placed on the path of skimmer.

Thank you,

~BT

Well, the rules for Skies of blood clearly states that you must place the unit in the path where the SR has moved, so a big no-no for placing a dread 6" in front of the SR.

Its stated in p.38 under the section for SoB. Second sentence pretty much states it clear as water.. All other special rules for Deep striking applies though.

sorry for double post, but I read the rules for our homing device, and it can only be used for teleporting units, aka terminators, so no dreads can use it... sorry...

There are two types of homers in our dex.

One is a teleport homer, the other is a locator beacon.

The Raven uses the locator beacon- so we're good to go on the Skies of Blood dreads unless theres a FAQ saying otherwise!

Oh I see your question now. Well the rules say deployed as if it were deep striking, so the logic is sound.. I don't imagine this was what the dev team had envisioned the beacon being used for, but I can't think why it wouldn't be allowed, short, perhaps, a minor poor taste factor.

I don't know, I think this is meant to be the use for the beacon. Seems a bit conveinent otherwise.

Hmm, so you flat out the SR, drop its cargo, and then heroic intervention 2 squads of Vanguards, and assault them into combat turn 1... Turn 2 that dread and DC will join in the fray... Thats pretty neat

You could also throw in a Drop Pod with another Dreadnought and locator beacon to arrive turn 1 in case the SR gets blown up before the Vanguard Vets arrive.

Don't forget that Vanguard using HI don't magically appear from reserve automatically on your first turn. They are a reserve unit like any other --so no crazy turn 1 assaults here. Though if you brought 2 Vanguard units, (and IF your Stormraven survives to turn two) you'd have a pretty high likelihood to get off at least one turn two assault.

I don't know, I think this is meant to be the use for the beacon. Seems a bit conveinent otherwise.

It says in the codex that you cannot assult in the turn you dissembark after you moved flat out with the SR!

It says in the codex that you cannot assult in the turn you dissembark after you moved flat out with the SR!

I wonder how that would work if the SR were carrying a squad of Vanguard. Sure, it would make the assault launchers kind of superfluous, but that might theoretically give you the coveted turn one assault.

Edit: Checked it, no-go. HI only works for coming in from reserve and it's specifically stated units deployed by Skies of Blood can't assault.

Still. Woulda been cool

I know, but you can still disembark using the skies of blood rule and if you have a locator beacon you don't scatter. This is what I meant by saying I thought it was intentional.

On the same thought, could this be done? You have your SR set up in first turn, you move it flat out and hopefully with the cover save from doing that it survives. Then next turn you DS your landraiders within 6" of the base of your SR, using the locator beacon (provided that your landraiders get to come in that turn), disembark your cargo from the LR's and cause total mayhem on your oppenent. Does'nt even have to be an SR for that matter as drop pods also can take a locator beacon and have save landing anyway so you can basicly set those a close as possible to your oppenent and have him try to shoot up it's cargo (either dread or maybe 10 DC's?) as a distraction from the drop pod's locator beacon

Its a very viable tactic - assuming you have stuff coming in from turn two.

Vanvets work nicely with that. I think a redeemer carrying some nastyness would cause issues too.

The trick would be in getting as many high priority units of the same type (ie: all mech) in their face at the same time.

Eg:

Pod + locator + Furioso

Raven + locator + Furiso/Mephiston

Then have the other stuff coming down in support. DC in redeemer? RAS squads? Vanvets? Not sure.

Honestly sounds nice on paper but I do not think it works that well in competetive enviroment.

First of all, SR with 24" move is not able to move into melta/ frag range for the dread placed behind its base. Therefore you would need HS dread instead to make SoB usefull for dread.

Moreover Dread in pod is far more flexible/ threating if supported with 2SR's (list I play supported with 2baal preds) not only it puts opponent into seriuse target priority issues, but it is far more cheaper.

However it works in APOC where you deploy 12" apart, so you might be able to drop HF/Frag into enemy formations.

Therefore I would not build my tactics upon SoB T1 drop.

~BT

Honestly sounds nice on paper but I do not think it works that well in competetive enviroment.

First of all, SR with 24" move is not able to move into melta/ frag range for the dread placed behind its base. Therefore you would need HS dread instead to make SoB usefull for dread.

Moreover Dread in pod is far more flexible/ threating if supported with 2SR's (list I play supported with 2baal preds) not only it puts opponent into seriuse target priority issues, but it is far more cheaper.

However it works in APOC where you deploy 12" apart, so you might be able to drop HF/Frag into enemy formations.

Therefore I would not build my tactics upon SoB T1 drop.

~BT

BT, the above tactics were in response to Barducks question, not the OP. I'm with you on the SoB issue in your case above!

Generally speaking though with 4 hard targets being presented to the enemy (ie: locator which will bring pain, or contents of raven/pod bringing pain) it means high strength weapons have a tough job ahead of them before in turn two the rest comes down.

Archived