Here he comes

This is the start of the story I have in mind for Brotherhood of Angels, it's about a specific character from my DIY chapter that I'm writing up. If this shows any promise I'll continue it and as always C&C is welcome.

“Brigadier, we are getting fracked out here”

“I know captain, just keep firing. We have to hold this position at all costs! Lieutenant,” the old General snaps his head over at his radioman, praying for good news

“Nothing sir,” he replies, then pauses “Wait I think I have a signal, it’s from a space vessel though, not sure how far out it is.”

“Well now seems like a good time to find out now isn’t it? I want to know who they are, where they come from and what they have on that damn ship.” The lieutenant salutes and returns to his place. The Brigadier returns to the map, seeing the spread of his forces against the hordes of Arachnids. Those damn bugs had their position surrounded and they were cut off from Imperial lines. He was not going to die here to some freak xenos, he would get his men out.

“Lieutenant, give me information, now!”

“Sir, the ship appears to be a relatively small scout at best, just large enough to be warp capable, so not much help there. It has extensively modified holds though so it is carrying…. Something. Hold on, incoming transition… Huh, that’s odd.”

“Focus Lieutenant Alonso, what’s odd? My patience is to unlimited and it is already wearing thin.”

“Sir, the only message it sent was ‘Geronimo’ do you have any idea what that means?”

“Not in the slightest.” The brigadier sighs, that ship was their last hope. Now he just had to do his duty here and die for the Emperor.

He pulls out his power sabre and bolt pistol, his two most valuable possessions. They, more than anything, are what he had faith in. Now they will be the last comfort he has, knowing the he will take out some of the damn spiders before he went to join Him. Now… wait what’s that sound? It’s a kind of odd wheezing groaning, odd. The spiders never made that noise before, what trick are the bastards pulling now?

“Sir, we have an object incoming from orbit, it seems to have been launched from that ship!”

“What’s the heading?”

“It’s headed to this position sir! It appears to be a drop pod of some sort! Not any model that I’ve seen before, it’s more rectangular and thin than I remember any drop being, no way any kind of squad or anything heavy could be in there.”

The Brigadier sighs again. His last hope, dashed. If only there had been something significant that ship could have offered. Oh well, time to go out like a space marine.

“Men, it has been an honor to lead you. Cut off from any kind of support or allied line we have stood like a rock holding back the ocean. Well now I ask of you to continue being that rock. To hold out against them, to fight and make them pay! You’re brothers may fall beside you, you may fall but your mission lives on. Serve your Emperor and your planet. For the Emperor and for Albion!”

A roar of approval met his words, the rate of fire dramatically increased wave after wave of Arachnids falling. But it wasn’t enough, holes in the perimeter started to form, soldiers began to fall.

Well this is it isn’t it? The Brigadier ran to the front, where the line seemed to be faltering ready to fall back. He lashed out with his sabre, cutting through the Arachnids. The wheezing and groaning was growing louder. Emperor damn it what is that? He looks up from the corpse of one of the spiders to see a big blue box fall amidst the enemy, and instead of the doors of the box flying open, one opened inward and a space marine steps out. He appears to be a Librarian of some sort but that is the only thing the Brigadier can see before the space marine is swamped with Arachnids. Ah bloody hell, it was worth the effort for him being here now wasn’t it?

Don’t be so sure I’m gone yet general, there was once a phrase of great power and meaning used by great heroes to inspire and awe, do you know what that is?

“ALONS-Y!”

Sounds like a good start brother :ph34r:

Thank you brother! Here is the second part of the story as well!

A flash of cerulean light explodes outwards from the Arachnids, their red spider body flying away, their human torsos and arms flailing and smoking as they came by. A space marine in a deep blue, as dark as the drop pod behind him stood in the epicenter of the explosion, ground charred for meters around him. His helmeted head casually glances left and right and he walks towards the Brigadier, casually pulling two bolt pistols from holsters. One appears to have eldritch around it and as it fires, the bolts it spits out leaves a trail of cerulean light that seems to collapse upon itself. Upon impact those bolts made the Arachnids implode in themselves, leaving a grizzly void in their bodies.

The space marine continues to fire as he walks, leaving a trail of corpses in his wake, the Arachnids seemed to be wavering, unable to deal with this threat until one of their leaders, a massive individual easily a head taller than the marine and studded with brass spikes, chitters a challenge at him. It didn’t stand a chance. Without even acknowledgement the Arachnid is torn apart with bolt fire. The standard bolts targeting limbs and other extremities and the psychic ones hitting vital areas. The beast seemed to be able to resist the psychic ones for longer than its smaller brethren but slowly it started to disintegrate under that punishing fire. It lost its last limb just as he walked up to it. It snarled defiance into the Librarian’s face and stand back up but it was too weak to do so. The marine puts his boot on the ruin of the Arachnid’s torso and pushes it over, bringing the standard pistol around and finishing off the pitiful remains.

That did it, any semblance of remaining wavered and the chittering masses retreated, but already the Brigadier could see readouts of the rest of the horde holding firm. This was only a temporary setback for them but it was a relief nonetheless. He was now aware of the form of the marine approaching the tent, unsure of what to expect he decided to meet the man in person, putting on as much bluster as possible in order to save face. As the marine was walking closer he noticed the chapter symbol for the first time, a gunmetal pauldron with a winged sword imposed on top of an hourglass. I’ve seen the winged sword, that means Dark Angels, but what does the hourglass mean? I have to be careful though, even with the help you can’t trust a psycker. So when the marine approached he addressed him thusly

“I thank you Librarian for your timely intervention, but due to the warpcraft you showed while battling those creatures I am going to have to ask you to state your name, rank and intent”

The marine cocks his head at this, a questioning gesture. But then the massive shoulders shrugged and he reaches up to take off his helmet. The brigadier can see a long thin face, brown hair that seemed to be far too disorderly for a space marine and mutton chops. He is grinning as he responds

“The Doctor… Doctor… Fun”

Archived