Previous BA Codexes

sp4rky

Hi guys,

I'm trying to track down all the previous BA codexes and so far I have:

The current codex,

The PDF,

A thin book (it's about 24 pages, has lots of references to C:SM in it, the front cover has a Terminator with raised power fist in the middle of it, and it has copyright 1998 on the back),

Codex: Angels of Death.

I wish they'd actually put a version number in the books somewhere because I have no idea what the thin book is... I guess it's an early 3rd edition release? In which case it there a 4th edition BA codex out there somewhere? Or did we just limp along with a 3rd ed codex until 5th hit and we got the PDF?

My reasons for this are from a collectors point of view - I just want them all! That, and I enjoy reading the fluff behind all the characters.

Thanks in advance guys.

Your second guess is correct - there was no BA codex for 4th edition and we in fact did have to use the 3rd Ed. one until we got the PDF. Therefore I must congratulate you, for your collection of BA codexes is already complete! ;)

While not really a Codex, in my opinion our Index Astartes article IA: Angels of Death is a must for any collector.

It is from the 3rd Edition era, and for me it has always been the definite look into our beloved Chapter. You can find it in Index Astartes II collection, which you can usually find on eBay.

Index Astartes II on Lexicanum.

I really, really recommend the IA series for anyone who has missed these articles. In my opinion much of the 5th Ed fluff has been really underwhelming compared to the older stuff. So do yourself a favour and dig in. ;)

Cool, thanks for the tip on the Index Astartes there Terrahawk, I'll get looking right in to those.

So Varney (and everyone else), how on earth did you cope with a 3rd ed codex at the beginning of 5th edition???

EDIT... oh, hang on - the PDF came out before 5th? Now I'm really confused because I thought I started playing in 5th but I bought the White Dwarfs with the BA codex in them :/

Your second guess is correct - there was no BA codex for 4th edition and we in fact did have to use the 3rd Ed. one until we got the PDF. Therefore I must congratulate you, for your collection of BA codexes is already complete! :)

Strictly Blood Angels then yes, he has the whole collection. There is a Fleash Tearers White Dwarf rule set he might want though.

how on earth did you cope with a 3rd ed codex at the beginning of 5th edition???

any update to codex sm was an update to codex BA[the 3ed one ] . So assault cannons got rending in the sm dex ? so did the BA ones. + have you read the 24page dex. your army would look something like this in the 4th ed. MAX DC you can buy . 6x5 man las/plas BA tactical squads with a veteran sgt [no fist no upgrades] . Then you would roll for those tacticals to get "free"DC models any Vet going DC would get a free powerfist/power weapon , they would also get a free jump pack . then you would buy 2 chaplains [you needed those to get the DC] those would be adamantit coat[think eternal warrior] 6A re-roll to hit re-roll to wound [twin claws+being a chaplain] FC[str 5 i6] dudes . and you would have 2 of them and a unit of 8-14[avarge size] DC where half would have fists or power weapons. And in the 4th you could tie up units in hth after destroying one . So you would charge destroy two tied up two destroy two .and you would probably have no DC by then and probably some of the chaplains , but your opponent would not have 2/3 of his army. while you were still pumping 6 lascanon and 6 plasma gun shots each turn in to what was left alive.

If you were playing against someone with a casual list , it could hurt them a lot.

Archived