Land Raider Helios

Right. Decided I'd finally use a pair of the track units that Machinator so kindly built for me a year or so ago (yes it takes me that long to get my arse in gear, Tom....) and will combine them with a Forge World Mk2b kit and an IG Manticore to build a Helios-pattern 'Raider.

The bits:

gallery_34078_2164_53485.jpg

Test fits 1 to 3:

gallery_34078_2164_34941.jpg

gallery_34078_2164_6741.jpg

gallery_34078_2164_1226.jpg

The fit of the top plate, well, pretty much sucked as far as I'm concerned, so did another and it fits a lot better, albeit with an unhealthy amount of liquid GS. You can also see the magnetic strip that I'll use to keep the launch rack in place in game.

gallery_34078_2164_57832.jpg

Finally, the fancy-Dan lascannons that'll replace the tips of the 2b ones in the sponsons:

gallery_34078_2164_39680.jpg

To paraphrase a movie "This is not to be quick and it's not going to be painless...."

Ill be keeping a very close eye on this thread... I have similar plans... but bigger. You're off to a decent start btw. Good progress so far. Looks like most of the frustrating and time consuming bits have been completed.

Just a minuscule update to let all know that this project is still ongoing. Swapped out the tips of the 2b Lascannon for the fancy ones from the Ven. Dread. kit. I think it'd be more fitting for such an old vehicle.

Just waiting on some magnets before I start detailing and assembly, because the magnet tape strip that I have at the moment to attach launch rack to body can't even manage to hold a single metal shaving without falling off. :)

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/Paladin7221/DSCN1143.jpg

gallery_34078_2164_19385.jpg

Cannons ready for sponsons:

gallery_34078_2164_21157.jpg

Decided to remove the IG badges from the rockets and replace with a brass etch Aquila:

gallery_34078_2164_342.jpg

And a purity seal, albeit barely visible:

gallery_34078_2164_16565.jpg

2 more rockets to go, think they'll have Hieroglyphs on them, just unsure which ones as yet.

:)

Whereabouts on the roof are you planning to attach the rack? I'm guessing it is narrow enough to fit between the track sections?

-T14

I'm guessing it is narrow enough to fit between the track sections?

Not quite, it overlaps by a few MM each side, so the trick has been to mount it high enough that it still clears the tracks. If you look at the 5th picture down in my first post, you'll see a small strip of magnetic tape on the top deck infront of the 2b exhaust stacks - that'll be where it goes. Sensor as in the FW Helios fits into the heavy bolter mounting.

Archived