What DA Models should I get (just starting DA's)

Hytanthas

I just bought 6 DA bikes for my chaos army because they are cheaper than the chaos and codex marine bikes. After getting them I loved the way they look a decided that a DA army would be fun. I went out and order the codex and the starter box and thought that would be a great start to the army but that is all less than 600 points. So the question is what do get from here? I was thinking about getting lots of land speeders and Sammael but I thought that it would be better to ask some experts first. Another Question: What codex do most DA players use? With the DA codex getting old do most use codex space marines with a Bike Captain?

Greetings,

I'll warn you off hand that some responses may come across as rude and harsh, however just remember this: Your army do as you please. It's your hobby, make it fun.

As for units, get terminators. Black Reach ones are cheap online, and kit them out with the various Deathwing options (just note that the Heavy Flamer option is pretty much useless and waste of a heavy weapon). your bikes have Teleport Homers, so your Deathwing can come in right where you want them.

As for land speeders, start with just a few with Multi-Melta and Cyclone launcher.

You don't really need a lot of PA marines, as Belial will allow your Deathwing Terminators to be Troops. A nice bonus.

Use the DA Codex if you want. You can make some pretty nice/fun lists for 1500 to 2000 pts, without buying tons of models.

Check the army list section for ideas.

Hope this helps and have some fun!

Pretty much agree with the above response.

"Cheap" way to go is full terminator. 36 terminators will take you to the 2k mark.

If you are going to get bikes and speeders, I STRONGLY suggest the RW Battleforce.

Its kinda hard to give more ideas without knowing your project, model limitation, how fast you need to get the army, how competitive you want it to be (because its a trade-off: either competitive or fluffy).

Just my opinion, of course!

As far as models go I'm willing to buy quite a few of them. I just went and bought 10 blackreach termies because of the 2nd post. I want to run a deathwing/ravenwing hybrid. I was hoping to have a semi-competitive army (I want to at least give a BA player a rough time).

I'm not looking on having this done by anytime soon. I just wanted a fun project. I wanted to get a veterans box because I thought the models look cool, and maybe some bitz to add to the terminators.

What is the better way to go? Veterans box or upgrade sprue?

The Dark Angels Chapter Upgrade Frame($16.50 for 5 marines worth of parts) is still a little bit better deal than the Dark Angels Company Veterans Squad boxed set($25.00 for 5 marines worth of parts, including bases and command upgrade sprue), though you do need to get a Round Bases Set($8.50) for them. If you plan on having more than 5 Company Veterans models, you will save more money if you buy the frames and bases separately and *not* get the Dark Angels Company Veterans Squad boxed set.

You may wish to bits order some Terminator assault weapons to mix in with your basic Terminators from AoBR, and the DA Company Vets sprues includes assault cannons, so at least you will have access to one sort of heavy weapon for your Terminator squads (though you can bits order cyclone missile launchers or heavy flames too, but the former tend to be rather pricey).

Other than that, get yourself two Ravenwing Battleforces, and you'll have two full Ravenwing Attack Squadrons to be the counterpart to your Deathwing Terminators and other forces.

Quick suggestions:

- Give yourself a build outline (terminators and bikes is a bit too broad).

For example, you need 36 terminators for 2k. 12 bikes, 2 AB and 2 LS ( 2 RW battleforces) are roughly 1.1k

So there you have 3k+ of models, where you can go both full Deathwing or Doublewing.

- you draw a time-line (say 3 months? 6 months?)

I'm assuming you want to paint the army...and I'm a VERY slow painter myself.

If you find some tournament/Gt you'd like to attend, or some social event (friends b-day nerd-party or whatever) that bound to help you drive forward.

Note: if you are going the terminator way...consider magnetizing. I've magnetized all of my terminators and that alone saved me a lot of money when the FAQ came out some 18 months ago.

Hope it helps!

If you've already got 10 AOBR terminators, then I would suggest getting a box of assault terminators and a box of tactical terminators. That way you will have 20 Terminator bodies, with enough stuff to give 5 TH/SS and 5 LC with the other 10 guys having PF and storm bolters. Grab yourself the DA upgrade sprue and a terminator torso off ebay and you will be able to model yourself a Belial to go with the 20 Termies.......theres about 1100 points there. Add in a RW battleforce and you've got 1500 points of multiwing goodness! ;)

The Dark Angels Chapter Upgrade Frame($16.50 for 5 marines worth of parts) is still a little bit better deal than the Dark Angels Company Veterans Squad boxed set($25.00 for 5 marines worth of parts, including bases and command upgrade sprue), though you do need to get a Round Bases Set($8.50) for them. If you plan on having more than 5 Company Veterans models, you will save more money if you buy the frames and bases separately and *not* get the Dark Angels Company Veterans Squad boxed set.

DOH!!

I've been spending way too much to get my robed bodies! I forgot about the upgrade!!!

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

As far as a time line 6 months sounds like a good deadline for 3k army.

My big question is how to equip individual squads of terminators at this point. I have plenty of leftover lightning claws from my ultramarine terminators And i dont mind buying some more termies to get the th/ss bits i just want to know the best ratio of cc to range weapons, stormbolters/assault cannons or cyclone middile launchers(I feel like this is one of the best options because you can have tt/ss or twin lighning claws).

Squad configuration...is like back-ends. We all have one and think it doesn't stink :o

I run Sarge with hammer, hammer, chainfist, claws, hammer with cyclon.

Archived