Dark Angels and the Deathwatch

I am in the process of putting together a Deathwatch kill team and was planning to include at least one Dark Angel in the 10 man unit. I just wanted to double check with yourselves that the DAs would work with the Inquisition enough for this to happen? I can't see any problem with this really even with the DAs big secret but maybe someone could confirm for sure.

In fact, the Deathwatch RPG sourcebook mentions that the Dark Angels find the Deathwatch as a useful way to put out feelers for traces of the Fallen through information channels usually unavailable to them. So yeah, totally works! ;)

Also remember that the brothers who are generally sent to do service don't know of the fallen.

Cheers

Vex

... until they return...that kind of experience, after the risk of divulging anything has passed, is far too valuable not to induct the returned marine into the Deathwing... IMHO.

They do send marines to the Deathwatch, in fact it's not unheard of for Deathwing members to join for a time. Of course, this also means that the Dark Angels who have knowledge of the Fallen have to take great pains so that their duties towards both the Deathwatch and their Chapter do not clash.

i prefer to look at the deathwatch as a testing ground for potential deathwing members. seeing how they can hold some form of secret would show good character for induction into the circles

Not to mention taping into the information networks of the inquisition. It would make sense if we see in the future something in the fluff to suggest that the marines send into the deathwatch are specially trained/indoctrinated not to only be warriors capable of the demands of deathwatch duty as most chapters raise them to be,but also masters secrecy and information brokery.

KGB AND CIA live on through 40k through the Dark angels.

i prefer to look at the deathwatch as a testing ground for potential deathwing members. seeing how they can hold some form of secret would show good character for induction into the circles

Not to mention taping into the information networks of the inquisition. It would make sense if we see in the future something in the fluff to suggest that the marines send into the deathwatch are specially trained/indoctrinated not to only be warriors capable of the demands of deathwatch duty as most chapters raise them to be,but also masters secrecy and information brokery.

KGB AND CIA live on through 40k through the Dark angels.

you mean CLIA surely? MI5 seems to fit more. u never really hear of anything they do but they do it anyway

you mean CLIA surely? MI5 seems to fit more. u never really hear of anything they do but they do it anyway

I am not familiar with CLIA,i meant the Central Information Agency of the U.S.

MI5 is a bit too assassin like as far as i know to be accurate to represent the DA.

Its been a while since I read the Deathwatch Rulebook, but I'm pretty sure that there is a line that mentions the Deathwatch members form the 1st Legion chapters keep in close contact with each other making their Watch Fortresses that much more effective. Easy to extrapolate what that close contact is really for.

Assuming of course that I'm remembering all this correctly. My friend that has the book is out of the country at the moment.

Immolator, Spooks is a British TV show that was given the name 'MI5' in the US. It's about, funnily enough, a bunch of people who work at MI5. Worth watching, if you don't mind the occasional character death.

That being said, I firmly believe that the unforgiven have a large intelligence network of their own, and using their deathwatch marines to piggyback on the inquisition's network is both an added bonus and the sort of thing they'd be very likely to do, because you can never know enough when on a galaxy spanning manhunt that you've kept secret for 10000 years.

All of the standard military intelligence jokes do apply, just don't say them to the marines' faces. You might end up in chamber 42.

--BoR

CLIA = central lack of intelligence agency ;-P

A month ago, I'd have piled on...but now that they've apparently re-learned the HUMINT skills that they idiotically dumped in favor of IMINT and SIGINT after the cold war ended (as evidenced by their infiltration of Al Qaeda for the purpose of stealing an underwear bomb...man, that's funny. Truth really is stranger than fiction!), I have to disagree.

Real world discussion ends here. It has no business with this forum

Thank you.

trying to do that with this comment

MI5 is more spy and espionage, infiltrating certain organisations to gain information (DA's in deathwatch)

They do send marines to the Deathwatch, in fact it's not unheard of for Deathwing members to join for a time. Of course, this also means that the Dark Angels who have knowledge of the Fallen have to take great pains so that their duties towards both the Deathwatch and their Chapter do not clash.

To my knowledge, it probably wouldn't conflict.

The Deathwatch primarily deals with Xenos, and the Fallen are, as far as I checked, not Xenos.

Besides, if they happen to stumble across a rumour of possible lead, he could communicate it back to the fleet.

CLIA = central lack of intelligence agency ;-P

Certain lack of intelligence, actually. :cuss

The Deathwatch primarily deals with Xenos, and the Fallen are, as far as I checked, not Xenos.

Besides, if they happen to stumble across a rumour of possible lead, he could communicate it back to the fleet.

It's not quite as clear cut as that.. On one hand, the Fallen sometimes enslave Xenos for their deeds. On the other hand, the Deathwatch sometimes has to go up against Chaos Marines as the prelude for an operation against Xenos (and sometimes just perform critical operations to prevent a catastrophe there), most notably so in the Acheros Salient of the Jericho Reach.

It's not quite as clear cut as that.. On one hand, the Fallen sometimes enslave Xenos for their deeds. On the other hand, the Deathwatch sometimes has to go up against Chaos Marines as the prelude for an operation against Xenos (and sometimes just perform critical operations to prevent a catastrophe there), most notably so in the Acheros Salient of the Jericho Reach.

However, in an empire the size of the Imperium and the time spans involved when it comes to the Fallen, such occurrences would be very rare.

True, but lets say that the DA-member of a Deathwatch Kill-Team (a veteran battle brother in his own right) estimates the situation to be too dangerous for the kill-team to remove on its own, and requests stronger backup from say... the Deathwing, who just happen to be nearby enough to quickly respond to the request for aid?

Dark Angels have been known to keep their own council when it concerns battle plans, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for the Deathwing squads to do as they please, as long as the end result is the same.

Now, that those Xenos happened to have been ruled over by one of the Fallen need not be known by the kill-team. The DA-member could simply say it was one of the traitor legions, and the rest would probably agree and not look closer into the matter.

To expand further if anyone has the deathwatch RPG(i think its in one of the expansions) read the article about the blackshields.

One of them was a fallen apparently and well...the DA collected him...mid operation non the less.So yeah marines acting in the deathwatch as moles and communicating with the inner circle its plausible.

Archived