effective CSM

makesomenoise

So i'm experimenting alot lately with noise marines and an eperor's children themed army list. So here's my question what are the most effective squads for chaos. While i prefer slaanesh i'm open to what ever.

So as an example:

Daemon prince with mark of slaanesh wings and lash (155) good at troop disruption, tougher than a lord, cheaper than a named character and has a 36" threat range. (Realisticly 24) rips through armored transports, gobbles up standard squads and stomps on dreadnoughts.

Raptors with icon of slaanesh 2 meltas and a champ with lightning claws. 6models (200) more is good. Jump infantry can out manuver most vehicles and pop transports or av14 followed by a solid assault on the goodies inside.

In short instead of having all the csm stuff in different places i figured this would be a good spot to consolidate what are considered heavy hitters or cost effective units. I know everyone has prefered combos and i'd like to hear them.

Depends how competative you want to be.

The best combo is probably: x2 Winged DPs with MoS and Lash, Lots of Plague Marine squads with PlasGuns and as many oblits as you can fit in (9 preferably) and possibley some beserkers. However, this is pretty boring. Yawn...

Despite all protestations, CSMs are not really weak but can suffer for being a slightly older 'dex. Basic Troops are cheap and excellent, Oblits are great, DPs are good, PMarines ARE all that.

Noise Marines are reasonable with a great Init and good (if expensive) shooting.

I think it's great you're going for Raptors- they've always seemed like a cool unit.

My Word Bearers are not super competative (I play for fun) and includes a Terminator Lord and Terminators, Chosen kitted out for melta goodness, a solid core of rhino borne troops, several Obliterators, summoned Daemons and a Land Raider.

Good luck.

As far as Slaaneshi troops go, you do have some options to use them and still be fairly competitive.

#1 5 noise marines, 1 blastmaster, rhino w/ havoc launcher optional

This unit is for long range fire support and objective camping. Pair it up with oblits or havocs for extra firepower and scoring. The rhino is optional, you can hide in it and fire the blastmaster but it makes you vulnerable to having the tank stunned.

#2 6-10 noise marines, all with sonic blasters, rhino or champion optional

A mobile dakka unit. Its a little less valuable considering how many armies are mechanized but against exposed infantry you can do some significant damage at range and once you're upclose, you have the equivalant of a rapid fire and charge.

#3 8-10 noise marines, champion with power fist + doom siren, rhino mandatory

This is your assault unit and is an alternative to using berserkers. I know it appears to be wasteful to use a power fist with I5, but the squad lacks heavy armor killers like melta and the doom siren + rest of the squad's I5 attacks will cover basic infantry killing.

#4 10 CSMs with IoS, 2 meltaguns, champion with power fist, rhino mandatory

Alternative to #3, you lose the fearlessness and doom siren of the cult troops but you bring additional anti-tank.

Remember that I5 can be really helpful when fighting marines and eldar but against most other opponents, its not that important as you're either hitting first or last anyway.

The nosie marine loadouts are prety much what i'm running now ( i put the assault squad in a land raider rawr.)

And i love raptors but to use them right you almost have to use them wrong imo. They won't survive a frontal assault and if you deepstirke them they may die and can't assault, so i like to play them safe and pick out targets of opportunity (either av14 or transports w/ standard troops.) Pop out from behind cover, trash the transport , blast the contents with sonic weapons then assault. Seems to clean up nicely.

If you can pull it off 2 or 3 times in a game they make their points easy but if you get reckless they are just expensive cannon fodder =(

Thanks for the tips, feel free to keep adding. I prefer slaaneshi things but i'd like to see all the filthy chaos can muster.

Archived