furioso librarians worth it?

madmutt

So, is a force weapon and psychic powers worth the extra 50 points? It seems like a really great idea, especially when you can have a flying dreadnought, and the chance of insta-kiling things. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with them?

I think you REALLY need to work lists around them, they're not just a throw into anything kinda list. I ran a 1750 list with 2 for a regionals tournament and won it!

LOVED using them. I had poo-pooed them before cause on paper they're nothing, but found out with a bit of army synergy, AV13 is rough to deal with in combat and flying dreadies are scary!

AV13 is rough to deal with in combat and flying dreadies are scary!

At first I didn't think too much about the 'wings' power. "meh, it's just another 6" of movement, maybe." But the extra mobility can be a lot more useful than one might think. Lots of places where the 60 mm base doesn't fit or terrain to slow you down.

If there's anything that would make me take them more often it's not extra armor, it's the melta. With it lib dreads would have been a real no-brainer.

AV13 is rough to deal with in combat and flying dreadies are scary!

At first I didn't think too much about the 'wings' power. "meh, it's just another 6" of movement, maybe." But the extra mobility can be a lot more useful than one might think. Lots of places where the 60 mm base doesn't fit or terrain to slow you down.

If there's anything that would make me take them more often it's not extra armor, it's the melta. With it lib dreads would have been a real no-brainer.

Agreed about the melta ><;

Any wargear would be nice.

Also, the jump pack move means you can be behind a solid wall/building and jump straight over. Pretty handy.

I think they're brutal. I won't say they've done well in every game, sometimes they will keel over to the first str 8 attack that looks at them, much like any vehicle. But they've probably on balance won me far more games.

The wings are fantastic, but overlooked on the internet I feel are the +D3 str 10 attacks every round.

The WS6 is wonderful (great against stuff like pallies and Nobs) and the psychic hood also great for giving psy defence and slotting in a non libby HQ.

The synergy with the codex is good. Units with all powerweapons ('letters, banshees, Sheildguard, halberd GKs etc) are a pain for our FNP marines, the Dread laughs off. Just have to avoid double dice in CC.

Usually mine goes in a stormraven, or two in a thunderhawk for Apoc, which gets around the extra armor loss. I'm not of the opinion EA is make or break myself.

Well I ran one today. I had a Librarian Dreadnoght, a Death Company Dread in a lucius Pattern Drop Pod and a Heavy Dread just to mix things. I wanted to see hwo this would work out because I ordered two more dreads and I'm waiting for them coming through the post. I want to try a two Libby, two Death Comp Drad list for fun. He did OK. I was up against Orks this morning and he got to kill some Deff Copters. AV13 is a bit bonus, S9 power klaws had trouble with him. He survived to the end of the game.

The wings are fantastic, but overlooked on the internet I feel are the +D3 str 10 attacks every round.

You know the Furioso Librarian is a level 1 psyker, right? Only one power per turn.

Sure. I compare it logically to a Talon Furioso.

Every time you need to use wings to make combat, the blender Dread didn't get there.

Every time you don't need the extra movement, or every subsequent Assault round, you get +D3 attacks generated.

I have had lots of fun and some tears with my Libby dreads. Once you get them into contact they will at least hold down most any foot force and will pop most vehicles with ease.

But, it only takes one shot and st 7 can do it to destroy or immobilize the thing. If your army alows your opponent to take early shots at your dreads they can be easily out of it on turn one. Distractions like Mephy and the Sanguinator, Storm Ravens and DC, even Baals and Vindicators leading are absolutly essential to getting them into combat.

I take Shield and Wings with mine. Shield for my AV 13 screen and Mephy, and Wings to keep up and get into contact quick as possible.

I consider them risky but they do work well.

librarian dreads as hq

dc dreads as troops

all dread army :D

never tried them myself, just have the dreadie from the box set

librarian dreads are Elites, not HQs. And DC dreads require normal DC.

You know the Furioso Librarian is a level 1 psyker, right? Only one power per turn.

Player turn, not game turn.

That goes without saying. He still can't get off Might and Sword in the same combat, as he implies in the quoted text.

That goes without saying. He still can't get off Might and Sword in the same combat, as he implies in the quoted text.

He's not taking Sword even. +d3 strength 10 attacks comes from might and then attacking with the Dreadnought CCW instead of the Force Weapon. A Libby dread can pick which CCW he hits with, I don't think I have ever chosen to use the Force Weapon with my libby dread.

Don't they have a force weapon and a DCCW?

Archived