Sammael weapons usage

Lord Sesslec

Hey guys a quick question. I used Sammael on Jetbike for the first time today and my and I couldn't wok out whether he could fire both plasma cannon and twin-linked bolsters in the same turn. Any ideas?

Conceptually, I would say he could, but the rules seems to suggest otherwise. Relentless just alters being able move a shoot, as far as I can see.

Also, as a follow up, how do you play your Sammael?

This was apparently an oversight on JJ's part when he wrote the codex, but, yes Sammy can only fire one of his weapons per turn since he is a single figure, and not a vehicle (unlike an attack bike, while still not classified as a vehicle it can fire TL bolters and heavy weapon in the same turn, since it has 2 crew).

CAM 77 is right about the choice of weapons.

As to how you run Sammy, it primarily depends on the rest of your army. The speeder can prove to be a useful distraction as it's AV14, but the jetbike can be very useful too.

Thanks guys. I really do hope they change this in the new codex, Its such a good looking model. Am I also right in thinking that you can't actually attach him to another squad of Ravenwing because he's not a normal bike.

I do apologise if these seem like simple questions, but it just seems like massive oversight for him to be unable to fire both weapons and and join another squad. I suppose I'm kind of hoping I've missed something.

Lets see some Sammies in this thread! I'll start. (also he's one of my favorit models!)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/Azie/DSCN5012.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/Azie/DSCN5011.jpg

DA

Nice paint job! I love the blue wash around the jet exhaust, and the green radar display looks fantastic! That's the Finecrap version, right? 'Cuz there is no way that is the metal model on a plastic flight peg.

I got mine when they first game out, assembled it, and was so disappointed in the fit and amount of work I had to put in the thing. Bad mold lines, gaps, lots of green stuff. On top of that, there is the stand- it's a bit unbalanced and there is no way a plastic peg for the flight stand will work. :D I got a little irked. Then I started getting into his rules... no Independent Character? Can't fire both weapons? Changes to the way Plasma Cannons work? Toughness 4? 3 wounds? I'm paying how many points for this guy and he does what for my army? I wrapped him up and placed him in a box.

The Speeder version is much more user friendly.

It's a shame really, as it's a fantastic model and I can only hope we get a unit of Jet Bikes in the next codex.

Thanks guys. I really do hope they change this in the new codex, Its such a good looking model. Am I also right in thinking that you can't actually attach him to another squad of Ravenwing because he's not a normal bike.

I do apologise if these seem like simple questions, but it just seems like massive oversight for him to be unable to fire both weapons and and join another squad. I suppose I'm kind of hoping I've missed something.

It's nothing to do with not being a normal bike, it's just that he doesn't have the Independent Character special rule and so counts as a unit in his own right.

Nope thats the old metal one, i bought it the day it came out, and I feel our pain with the gaps and the base i had to cut the peg down to fit and sand it till it was snug in the huge hole in the botom of the model. As for playability I'm on the fence between the two. I find without armour saturation the av 14 speeders is easy pickings for lascannons and meltas. Also the jetbike is great for tieing up longfangs and the such. It really boils down to playstyle imo.

Totally agree that it comes down to playstyle and army-wide synergy. I like to use mine for a counter-attacking close combatant, so only the jetbike works for that.

Once, I played a doubles game with him; opponents were IG and 'nilla marines. After Cato Sicarius had his transport popped, I used Sammael's cannon on the command squad, killing everyone except Sicarius himself. I charged him, and killed him over the course of 2 assault phases. After the assault, I was free to move him at the beginning of my turn; so I positioned him to put a plasma round into the tail pipe of a Leman Russ Demolisher... Look on both of the other players' faces: priceless =)

I find the best uses I've gotten out of him are when there are actual LoS blocking pieces of terrain on the board. I find that's hard to get in any LGS, so I tend to pack my own with my army lol.

He is such a sweet model, but having only used him once I was perhaps a little careless and ended up in a Tau firing line.

LoS blocking terrain is really hard to come by in most places, having used a reaver Jetbike army lately I really feel your pain.

I haven't painted Sammael up yet, but here's a couple of my squad Sgts on my local GW Facebook page. Not the best photos of them, but I'm struggling to upload anything on here.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=303408229733402&set=a.303408103066748.69509.109316305809263&type=3&permPage=1

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=303...&permPage=1

Can anyone tell me if there have been changes made to him for the finecast such that he fits better?

I have ordered one of these and it should be in later this week, I'm curious to know if i will also have such problems.

From experience, this was the best quality finecast model I've had. It went together really well and has minimal bubbles.

One change I did make, was to magnetise his left wrist with 2mm x 0.5mm ( i think that was the size) magnets, because I was worried that after time that sword arm would break off. As it stands, the magnets just look like the cuff that was there previously.

I was going to chop his head off and magnetize that... I love his head.

And with the first RW Battleforce i got I magnetized a speeder with

Magnets on the back doors for Typhoon launchers/Shield of night

Magnet in the gunner place for Heavy bolter, Multi Melta, Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Magnet under the front for Assault cannon, Heavy Flamer, Twin linked assault cannon

Magnet in the driver arm for Driver arm/Samael sword arm

Magnet in driver neck for Driver head/samael head.

Can anyone tell me if there have been changes made to him for the finecast such that he fits better?

I have ordered one of these and it should be in later this week, I'm curious to know if i will also have such problems.

I've got this finecast model as well, and I agree, it is the best one I've seen. No bubbles or defects of any kind that I can notice on mine, and the fit seems good on all the pieces. Maybe I just got lucky, since I've also bought some truly horrible finecast, but for me, this one turned out really well. Now I just wish that such a beautiful and expensive model had some better rules :)

Archived