Dreadclaw in progress

Snejk

So I decided to build a Dreadclaw to my Berserker squad. I figured the FW one was too expensive to buy so I figured i'd try to rebuild a drop pod into a Dreadclaw. And as I look at the picture i realise that the top thingy on the engine is somewhat askew so i have to fix that.

I had pretty much nu problems with the assembli except for the "legs" since one left a huge gap betwen the leg and the hull. I filled the gap with Green Stuff and added some GS to other places where the legs meet the hull. Now it looks like sloppy welding seams, which is fine since i figure my entire warband has trouble keeping their gear in top condition, which is also why the Dreadclaw will look pretty well used and poorly maintained - no repaints after it has droped through the atmosphere, one hull panel will is going to be salvaged from an Iron Warriors dreadclaw, and i'll try to use weathering powder in order to make it look like parts of the hull is covered in soot and grime from decades of planet falls and limited maintenance.

gallery_60645_6711_61067.jpg

I'm unfamiliar with CSM, is a dreadclaw just a fun way to say drop pod? It looks great though. If you're going to be making some pieces salvaged, consider putting different levels of wear and grime build up, as these pieces might have seen more or less combat than other parts

The Dreadclaw is a cross betwen an assault pod for breaching hulls in space crafts and a drop pod. It was used by the Imperium before the Heresy, but the machine spirit was flawed so it was discontinued by the loyalists, but is still in use by some traitor legions. The main advantage compared to a normal drop pod is that the dreadclaw is mobile after it has landed. So it can take off again and move around on the battle field. Also the side panels don't open on it but there is a hatch on the under side of the hull from where the troops dismount. I have never tried one before and the rules are covered in the Apocalypse rulebook.

Yes, i figured that the "newer" parts should be less worn and in better condition than the original parts.

It's slowly comming about. I reattached the engine thingy sticking up so it doesen't look askew. The engine is painted. I just did a plain boltgun metal and washed it with devlan mud. The fins are painted Khorne red, washed with devlan mud and dry brushed with boltgun metal for a worn finish. The gold details have an Tin Bits undercoat painted with gehenna's gold and washed with devlan mud. I'm possibly thinking of adding a high light with a gold-mithril silver mix.

And the "looted" side of the hull might be parts from either the Astral Claws or perhaps Marines Errant chapter. I haven't decided yet, so suggestions are welcome. And the new fin is looted from a wrecked Iron Warroirs Pod/Claw.

gallery_60645_6711_71071.jpg

So, I think that I am pretty much done with this baby. I added a defiled Aquila to the scavenged hull panel, making it loot from the Marines Errant, and added some metal color to the upper "thrusters" on the wings and dabbled with some soot powder on the lower parts of the wings. Perhaps i'll add some of that new basing paint to make it look like mud has splashed up on it when it has landed.

And I'm thinking of adding some sort of retro thrusters on it. But i'd like to buildslightly larger box shaped thrusters in stead of the regular round ones that come with the kit. Any idea on how to do that? Plasticard perhaps?

I showed a picture to the local GW store manager who asked if I didn't want to enter "The Fang" painting competition with it. She gave me a flier about it, but I havent checked it.

gallery_60645_6711_72291.jpg

Archived