Furioso - which to make?

Seahawk

I magnetized front plate so i can run a lib or furioso. I also have swapable talons/fists, storm bolter/heavyflamer, magnagraple/smokelauncher. options are nice especially since we are on the eve of 6th, it could change how good each option is.

Well, I don't want to make a librarian dreadnought, and I actually paint my models, so magnetizing between Death CO and BA isn't an option either. It's either gonna be red or black, but I can't really decide which!

dunno they are both good. I find my self take furioso more often because I dont have to first buy death co to take a death co dread.

And I make room for deathcompany because DC talon dreads are awesome.

They are all good so it's really up to personal preference and what the rest of your list looks like.

Well, I don't want to make a librarian dreadnought

Sacrilege!

I'm presuming you don't want a Frag Cannon either?

There isn't really an answer to your question. With a Stormraven and Death Company in the army, I'd probably lean to the Death Company Dread, because if you can take out the DC requirement and negate rage, the extra attack, fleet, and ignore stunned/shaken is more attractive to me than the extra point of AV and WS on the Furioso.

But that's 'with a Stormraven and Deathcompany in your army'.

Unless it's a requirement of army fluff or aesthetics though, the Furioso Librarian blows both choices out of the water. I like the look and I like winning, so Librarian Dread for me :)

Unless it's a requirement of army fluff or aesthetics though, the Furioso Librarian blows both choices out of the water. I like the look and I like winning, so Librarian Dread for me :)

I agree with this, Furioso Librarians have their advantages. Moving 12" instead 6" helps big time with mobility and using shield to get a 5+ cover save also helps a lot. I wouldn't overlook this combo, shield can even be used to give units nearby a 5+ cover save. So even if you use smoke launchers, you can use shield to help other units out which is incredibly useful when you hide behind your land raider giving an armor 14 value tank a 5+ cover save. Sure the smoke launchers can give you a 4+ but you don't get to fire any of you land raiders guns when you do that.

Overall I think the DC dread with talons is the best of them.

But the Furioso kit gives so many parts I was able to use it to upgrade several of my dreads to Furiosos and get to have the DC dread and a Frag Cannon dread and a Blood Fist dread.

So many bits indeed! I love it, and the frag cannon looks awesome. It will fit well on my other dreadnought :D. Actually, I already have 3: a furioso and two regular joes. From what peeps are saying, it's looking more like I should lean into a Death Company dread (I already have 20 jump pack DC!) for the giggles. I've used my current furioso as having the talons and it was nuts already. My only concern is the -1 WS and frontal armor on the DC dread...kind of a downer, especially when chucking it into a unit with a fist (say, Orks).

My only concern is the -1 WS and frontal armor on the DC dread...kind of a downer, especially when chucking it into a unit with a fist (say, Orks).

You'll still go first and hit on 3+ in just about any situation. And 5 attacks on the charge certainly help make the most of the talons. I would take the flamer upgrade in case you want to put some extra wounds on something or need to charge through cover.

AV 13 is amazing on a walker.

With 13 you can laugh at your puny powerfist/thunderhammer/klaw wielding opponents in cc, in addition to the extra protection against long ranged firepower.

Personally I use the DC variant for the additional attack and protection against shaken/stun.

If going the route of the talon, you should consider not upgrading to a heavy flamer. If equipped with talons, you are not lacking in the anti-infantry department. Better to save the points.

Both my furioso's have blood talons and magna grapple. If you don't have a furioso first, I suggest making one. They will adapt to more lists than a librarian or DC dread.

The grapple is great when you have the points to spare. Extra S8 shot. Drag stuff for cover, tankshocks or assault. Plus you can't remove it along with the arm on a 'weapon destroyed' result.

Drag stuff for cover, tankshocks or assault.
I never thought of it for cover before! I mean, I usually destroy whatever the Furioso is pointed at, so the dragging usually doesn't take effect. Hmm...well, it'd only work if you stun, immobilized, or wreck said vehicle, as the other results will simply let it drive away or vanish in a poof.

• 2 weeks later...
Drag stuff for cover, tankshocks or assault.
I never thought of it for cover before! I mean, I usually destroy whatever the Furioso is pointed at, so the dragging usually doesn't take effect. Hmm...well, it'd only work if you stun, immobilized, or wreck said vehicle, as the other results will simply let it drive away or vanish in a poof.

I just thought of something funny and a bit of threadsurrection might be in order.

I was going through the codex and I started to think about how the grapple lets you do a tankshock in the shooting phase rather than the movement phase.

How can we use that except for the obvious ways?

Tankshock our own units of course. ;)

*dread*

*supporting unit*

*target*

Dread shoots target, fails to destroy but succeeds to grapple. Target is dragged towards dread and makes an out of phase tankshock against our supporting unit, preferably something fearless. Supporting unit attempts death or glory, with a melta or something else with a high chance of success. Regardless of what happens the supporting unit will effectively have gain an extra round of shooting as they are free to act once the death or glory is resolved. This could either be used against the target, a unit the target is transporting, or a completely different target in range.

This tankshock might even be used by the supporting unit to gain distance if they move to make way for the target.

It could also be noted that the grapple works on all vehicles, including walkers.

The above is obviously not something you can expect to pull off in every game, but it's something you can add to your box of tactical trickery :D

Archived