Terminators

Captain Hajime

So I have been gathering terminators for some time, and I now have a sizable force of 229 [not counting Space wolf ones]

I was wondering about what people find the most viable Squad formation I have been doing them as squads of six as that give you a nice deep strike foot print. But I am open to other options. In all honestly I can field any combanition.

[sorry for putting it in the wrong forum.]

5-6 for Deep Striking units, as you've said it makes a better footprint.

10 for Deathstar footslogging units, just to increase unit durability through numbers, while being able to cover a great portion of the board. Very important for Hammernator bubblewrapping of tanks as well.

And anywhere between 5-8 for Assault Terminator squads that hang out in Land Raiders, depending on the Land Raider and whether or not they will be accompanied by anyone else.

Those guidelines loosely apply to all Codices besides C:DA and C:SW, which have their own size restrictions and way of doing things.

Note I've moved this to the Tactics sub-forum where it should get more replies on the effectiveness of Terminator squad sizes.

I found great success with a full ten shooting termie squad with Lysander and two cyclones. They footslog up the board and can lay out a ridiculous amount of firepower. Expensive, though.

I've done something similar, but with assault cannons instead of Cyclones. I just enjoyed picking up an entire brick of dice for my to-hit rolls (sixteen twin-linked stormbolter shots and eight assault cannon shots). When I feel really crazy, I attach a TDA Chaplain for the to-hit rerolls when charging tanks. Even tanks that moved 12" or more can be taken down with 21 powerfist, six chainfist, and four S10 thunder hammer attacks that reroll misses!

As for the OP...I can't add much that hasn't already been said. 5-8 for Assault Terminators in Land Raiders, and 6+ for deepstrikers. I've deepstruck the 12-strong unit above, to amazing effect. Of course, that was on a nice, clear board with a perfect landing zone.

• 3 weeks later...

When I first played Terminators, I used them with no upgrades to get a good feel for what the basic Terminator can do. No, transports, just storm bolters and power fists (plus power weapon sarge). They are SO good. The ability to move and fire at 24" is not to be underestimated. And when you get the chance to connect with the fists, its very impressive. I ran them in a ten man group, which seemed to make their defense three times better than single combat squads of five.

Then I tried adding in the heavy weapons, which made my stars into super stars. With cyclones, they will always have a target to hit, and a versatile loadout. The assault cannons are also excellent. But I prefer the cyclones for the added range. My Terminators fire every turn, except when close combat goes more than one turn, which is rare with power fists. That kind of continuous fire, turn after turn, adds up.

I have tried deep striking with combat squads, but that is a real crap shoot. Various leaders can lend you all sorts of advantages, depending on your playing style. I usually prefer not to put all my eggs in one basket though. 10 Terminators + cyclones pretty much hits my spending limit for one unit.

10 regular Terminators will not win against some of the combat monsters out there, but they will always give a respectable account of themselves, usually weakening the enemy enough to be picked off by others. They cannot be ignored.

Archived