Blood Angels Contemptor WIP

Hi all, I'm reposting this from the Blood Angels subforum. I thought I'd share my WIP Contemptor Dreadnought!

I will be assembling and painting a Contemptor dreadnought. In fact, I've nearly completed assembly. Here are some work in progress pictures from assembly:

Here's the dread with the legs and body assembled. Every single joint there is pinned, which took forever but was definitely worth it. Despite the fact he is being held fairly upright, I intend to have him in an aggressive running stance when pinned to a base.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13349248/My%20Dread/dread1.JPG

A different angle on the same stage of assembly.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13349248/My%20Dread/dread2.JPG

Here's the idea I have for his base. I'm going to paint up that fallen marine in Death Company colors, with blood spilling out of his chest. In essence, the dreadnought will be rushing forward to avenge his fallen brother.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13349248/My%20Dread/dread3.JPG

Some more work, using poster tack to preliminarily pose the arms.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13349248/My%20Dread/dread4.JPG

The final assembly*

*Note that I reserve the right to change him at any point :lol:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13349248/My%20Dread/dread5.JPG

I have a new airbrush, to replace my 9 year old one coming in the mail this week, and I'll get on to paint, weathering, and basing! Best of luck fellow Sons of Sanguinius!

Huge pictures are huge. They could be smaller and a bit of cropping would not hurt.

On the other hand, the posing and kitbashing is great. My only gripe is with the banner/statue thing on top. It is blown in different directions than the rest of the model and somehow messes up the dynamic for me. ymmv

@Kassill: Thanks for the kind words! As for finishing it right now, you'll likely be disappointed. I'm going to take my time with this one, I want it to look right. I am shooting to have it done this month, June at the latest.

@Cathar the Great: Apologies for the huge pictures, my main computer (and thus photo editing abilities) is down at the moment. At some point, I'm going to pop this sucker in a light tent with a friend's DSLR and photograph it properly. As for the banner thing, I kind of see what you're talking about. Unfortunately, the skeleton bit doesn't come in a "right-handed" version -_- . Without disassembling him and reassembling him to be running the other way, which is SO not happening, do you have any recommendations on how to fix it? Would re-positioning the purity seal and the censer do it, or is it a fundamental issue with the main bit? I could always get rid of the banner altogether, it's a removable part, but I really like it. Any other recommendations?

As for the status:

I finished assembling him last night. Sometime this week, most likely Friday, I will be getting a new airbrush to replace my old one. If that happens before the weekend, I'll probably get a few coats of paint on him...

Thanks for the comments everybody!

Ah, well can't always get what we want! :)

I look forward to following the progress. As for the pictures, they are fine on my end. B&C seems to scale them just right for the most part.

Could just be me but because of how the legs are, it looks like the dread is running up to punt the marine. Otherwise it looks like it's coming along nicely, and makes me want a Contemptor even more.

Khrangar

Could just be me but because of how the legs are, it looks like the dread is running up to punt the marine. Otherwise it looks like it's coming along nicely, and makes me want a Contemptor even more.

Khrangar

Bahahaha! Visions of South Park.... "Don't Kick the Baby!" "Kick the Baby!" "aaaaagh"

Excellent point, I'll make sure to either position the marine appropriately, or not use him.

I have to say, the Contemptor is a fantastic kit. After I finished cleaning up mold lines and the like, which were fairly substantial, it went together smoothly. I do recommend pinning stuff, as it's a fairly hefty model.

@Cathar the Great: Apologies for the huge pictures, my main computer (and thus photo editing abilities) is down at the moment. At some point, I'm going to pop this sucker in a light tent with a friend's DSLR and photograph it properly. As for the banner thing, I kind of see what you're talking about. Unfortunately, the skeleton bit doesn't come in a "right-handed" version :angry: . Without disassembling him and reassembling him to be running the other way, which is SO not happening, do you have any recommendations on how to fix it? Would re-positioning the purity seal and the censer do it, or is it a fundamental issue with the main bit? I could always get rid of the banner altogether, it's a removable part, but I really like it. Any other recommendations?

Don't worry, they just took ages to load on my phone. But B&C does size them down quickly, so they are fine to look at.

If it were my model, I would probably remove that banner top altogether. It doesn't really fit in with the rest for me, personally. If you like it, please keep it. You could try changing the angle of the seal and censer but I'm not sure it will totally fix the issue I see.

Alternatively you could check out some of the cloth banners from several plastic sets, some of them will probably blow in the right direction.

Hmmm. I think I'm gonna ditch the banner. I don't want this model to get too busy. I think I'll hang on to it and make a banner bearer, or even an objective marker. In any case, tonight I'm cleaning off mold release and junk, and I'll start painting as soon as my new airbrush arrives, which is looking more like Monday...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok! New airbrush came in today, (only two weeks after I was told it'd arrive :angry: ) and I was super excited to start painting the dreadnought. I spent a couple of hours on him, getting down a solid black primer coat (Vallejo Model Air Black Primer) followed by working on his base coat and zenithal highlighting. To start, I sprayed about 4 transparent coats of VMA (Vallejo Model Air) Fire Red thinned with Vallejo Thinner 1:1. Then I did 2 more thin coats with the same color from about 45 degrees above horizontal on the model. Next, 3 coats of VMA Italian Red, again at about 45 degrees. Lastly, I did 2 very light coats of VMA Scarlet Red from directly above the model. I may or may not regret the Scarlet now that I'm looking at it under more natural light, it's looking somewhat orangeish. I might go back with a coat of Italian Red, or maybe a red wash...

Without further adieu, Mr. Dread himself:

contemptor_basecoated.JPG

(Apologies for the picture, taken with my iPhone as the camera is out of commission for a while)

So, any thoughts?

By the way, if you're in the market for an airbrush, and you're looking at the Harder and Steenbeck Infinity line, I highly recommend it. I've been airbrushing for a few years now, and it's a fantastic airbrush. It lays down without question the smoothest coats I've ever seen.

I apologize in advance, I'm getting ready to drop 6 HUMONGOUS pictures...

I did much painting today, 2 black saltires on his leg and shoulder, did a purple fade on his blood talons, metallic details, and a basecoat on detail stuff. I might be doing some freehand at some point...

I also did a drybrush step on his base.

Here goes:

2012-05-31%2020.36.49.jpg

2012-05-31%2020.37.06.jpg

2012-05-31%2020.37.15.jpg

2012-05-31%2020.37.33.jpg

2012-05-31%2020.37.43.jpg

What do you guys think?

He looks like he is coming alone nicely!

I'd like to see more depth and colour to the shadows just to make the red pop more. As it is now to me it still feels flat.

Just my two cents!

Cheers!

The pictures don't show it, as I'm just using my iPhone camera under a fluorescent light, but he actually has a ton of variation in the red. I used a zenithal highlighting technique with the airbrush. I might also try glazing with some brighter red or even orange. I'm also planning on significant weathering, which will come later. Hopefully at some point I'll get a better photography setup.

Archived