Star Phantoms theory.

dynamicspartan

Hi all. I do not know if this has already been discussed here or not, but I have a theory on our friendly Star Phantoms.

So basically, in Badab War books from Forgeworld, the Star Phantoms get some new fluff that hint at them being DA successors, but are denied by the DA. While I do not have the books, I have heard that the DA vehemently decline this when brought to their attention. I would imagine the DA not getting so defensive about being asked if a successor that was not theirs were, well, theirs.

So this brings me to my theory. Is it possible that the Star Phantoms could be a successor of the DA, but committed something so against their beliefs that they were cast away from the Unforgiven? Most likely informing an outside source of the fallen perhaps?

I am going to digress here and state that I do know in the Ragnar novels that a DA sergeant does tell the SW of the fallen. I try to disregard this though as the DA would not divulge their secret to anyone, especially a SW, but suffered no punishment as far I know. I try to disregard this part of the series as actual fluff though.

So with all of this in mind, what are your opinions on the topic?

I would say if the DA trusted someone to trust their secret that would be Ragnar.Unlike the common belief the DA and SW are not hostile to each other.On the contrary i believe the term 'brothers in arms' is the best way to define the relationship.Their 'brawl' is something of a tradition and i would dare go it as far as humor (if the DA cared for jokes that is). After all they ve gone through hell itself together in the heresy to get back to Terra.

Plus Ragnar is an exemplar space marine and a hero of the imperium to boot.

On the other side,if a successor decided to go against the wishes of the unforgiven and devoulge the secret...well it would have been ugly for them and it would end up to something like:'What successor?Oh them?They got eaten by a hive fleet or something.Poor sods...' OR 'Accidental decompression of airlocks...Remember it.'

So unless the Stars are 'undercover successors' for some reason,id say no.

Well, Star Phantoms... It's definetely hinted that they are DA successors.

How about a successor where the Inner Circle has not established control? Heretical thought I know, but could be a possibility - no? So although from the same lineage they could be very distant or outright hostile to DAs... Just a thought.

Well, Star Phantoms... It's definetely hinted that they are DA successors.

How about a successor where the Inner Circle has not established control? Heretical thought I know, but could be a possibility - no? So although from the same lineage they could be very distant or outright hostile to DAs... Just a thought.

I would have to say that they would be not privy to the secret if that was the case though.

@Onisuzume- Just because the DA geneseed is used rarely to create new chapters does not mean that there are only the six known successors. Lets say there are the DA and nine successors so ten Lion seed chapters in total. That is only 1% of the 1000 current chapters in active service. Not to mention that there have many chapters destroyed or lost over the 10,000 years since the Horus Heresy.

@Brother Immolator- Ragnar is a great warrior of that I have no doubt. In my opinion, it just seems kind of awkward that the DA would tell the SW of the fallen because of their "honor issue." I could imagine a DA and a SW about to duel and the DA just says "So yeah. During the Horus Heresy half of our legion went traitor and we are hunting them down now. It's all good though. We are about finished." I doubt that would end very well. I do get what you are saying though about that.

On a final note, the divulging the secret thing was just an example. If this is the case, the SP could have just done something to really piss of the DA without wanting to destroy them.

Yeah,well the novel sais it was nothing sort of the typical sparring.If i remember correctly there was a dark angels kill team hunting a fallen and Ragnar got messed in somehow (dont remember the details) and found out and helped them.The kill team was named Lions Pride BTW.I cant remember to what extend he knows but he knows that specific marine was a DA traitor from the Heresy. Whether he knows the rest or if the team itself knew more i cant say for sure,its been years.But it happened,if you take BL stuff for cannon then he is the only non-DA to know.

EDIT:

On a final note, the divulging the secret thing was just an example. If this is the case, the SP could have just done something to really piss of the DA without wanting to destroy them.

Yup,i guessed so,i just used an extreme example of my own :)

We know that Unforgiven ideology differes from successor to successor, most notable example are the Angels of Absolution, where their doctrines is that the Angels of Absolution consider themselves absolved of their own sins during the Fall of Caliban, and place a greater amount of emphasis on their holy duty of just hunting the Fallen as such and not to redeem themselves.

The Star Phantoms very well could have been approached by the Inner Circle, and they take the point of view that they are not responsible for the sins of the past, and it is not their duty to to hunt the fallen.

The family bloodline then ostracizes them for their naivety.

Archived