Shooty Honor Guard or Combi Sternguard

appiah4

I'm running a mostly mech/infantry hybrid army with zero jumppack units, apart from one magnetized Sanguinary Priest I plan to field without a Jumppack. The army is fielded mostly in Rhinos or Drop Pods.

I want to add a hard hitting shooty unit to go with my Captain Tycho, but I can't decide between modelling them as a 4x Plasmagun Honor Guard or 5 Sternguard with 2 Plasmaguns and 3 Combi-Weapons. I DO NOT own any Meltaguns and do not want to hunt them down, they are not cheap or readily available where I live, so Meltagun Honor Guard is out of the question. I do own a bunch of combi weapons though, and can easily magnetize those for the Sternguard.

This indecision has been in the back of my mind forever now, and I'd really appreciate your comments on either choice, as well as alternatives or alternative loadouts.

The role I want to give this unit is elite infantry hunter that can bust the armored target of opportunity.

I'm running a mostly mech/infantry hybrid army with zero jumppack units, apart from one magnetized Sanguinary Priest I plan to field without a Jumppack. The army is fielded mostly in Rhinos or Drop Pods.

I want to add a hard hitting shooty unit to go with my Captain Tycho, but I can't decide between modelling them as a 4x Plasmagun Honor Guard or 5 Sternguard with 2 Plasmaguns and 3 Combi-Weapons. I DO NOT own any Meltaguns and do not want to hunt them down, they are not cheap or readily available where I live, so Meltagun Honor Guard is out of the question. I do own a bunch of combi weapons though, and can easily magnetize those for the Sternguard.

This indecision has been in the back of my mind forever now, and I'd really appreciate your comments on either choice, as well as alternatives or alternative loadouts.

The role I want to give this unit is elite infantry hunter that can bust the armored target of opportunity.

If you are going to magnetize, why pick one? They are all veterans, the only difference between them is the noviate.

Posing is a huge pain in the ass. You can swap weapons between plasmaguns meltaguns and bolters with ease but Combi Weapons are a different beast altogether.

If I model with Plasmaguns I can't swap for combi's. The best I can do is swap for Bolters. What I CAN do is:

Honor Guard 4x Plasmaguns, 1 Novitiate

Sternguard 2x Plasmaguns 2x Bolters 1x Combi-Melta/Power Fist

Sternguard 4x Bolters 1x Combi-Melta/Power Fist

These, I can magnetize between.

But I can't model a squad that can easily convert between these two options:

Sternguard 2x Plasmaguns 3x Combi-Melta

Sternguard 5x Combi-Melta

Maybe I should just go with the first three squads?

Posing is a huge pain in the ass. You can swap weapons between plasmaguns meltaguns and bolters with ease but Combi Weapons are a different beast altogether.

If I model with Plasmaguns I can't swap for combi's. The best I can do is swap for Bolters. What I CAN do is:

Sternguard 2x Plasmaguns 2x Bolters 1x Combi-Melta/Power Fist

Sternguard 4x Bolters 1x Combi-Melta/Power Fist

These, I can magnetize between.

But I can't model a squad that can easily convert between these two options:

Sternguard 2x Plasmaguns 3x Combi-Melta

Sternguard 5x Combi-Melta

Maybe I should just go with the first three squads?

Why no combi-plasmas? They are they easiest combi-weapon to make if you have some spare bolters and plasma pistols.

arent combis one shot?

Not exactly my definition of hard hitting....

I find plasma awesome at tank busting

9 shots should give you 6 hits, which should glance an a13 and pen anything lower.

Not much is side/rear 14

how about 3 plas 1melt?

What other at does your army have?

I have 3 mm spedders and 2 mm/pc ravens at 1750, so dont really worry about giving infantry tank poppers

Can you not model the combi weapons held in both hands like a bolter/regular special weapon? This would seem to render this discussion academic.

Not with the other hand posed statically. If you magnetize both arms it becomes a wobbly mess.

Archived