those vets

The DIA!

So I'm looking at vets right now, and I'm wondering what I can equip them to be the most effective.

So my question is how do you like to build them? Are they better in 10 man squads? Combat squads? Or just 5.

Is the razorback better? Or rhino? And when does it become too many upgrades?

Because I love these models, and I wanna use more than just those glorious deathwing!

So I'm looking at vets right now, and I'm wondering what I can equip them to be the most effective.

So my question is how do you like to build them? Are they better in 10 man squads? Combat squads? Or just 5.

Is the razorback better? Or rhino? And when does it become too many upgrades?

Because I love these models, and I wanna use more than just those glorious deathwing!

I love the look of this guys too ;) and i normally play them in a squad of ten marines including a chappi.

Equiped with close combat weapons for the extra attack and four e-weapons + one fist and melter (flamer +combi-flamer against orks ;) ) for the extra punch.

They never let me down especially when it comes to melee with ork boss mobs and other bad ass enemy units.

Transportation and size of the squad belongs to the usage on the battlefield.

I use tehm often as a counter attack unit to clear my deployment zone but with the right backing they surely will be an excellent assault squad.

There is also a nice thead at the forum about how to use your units the way they are the most effective:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...p;#entry2481696

Azrael, plus Chaplain, plus 10 Vets(2 w/power fist, 8 w/power weapon; all in a LR Crusader). You want Azrael with them, if possible, as he gives them all a 4++ save while he is alive. That is practically worth Azrael's steep cost alone. Add the Chaplain for everyone to get re-rolls to hit on the charge. 6 Str 6 attacks at Init 5, 5 Str 4 attacks at Init 5, 32 Str 4 attacks at Init 4, and 6 Str 8 attacks at Init 1; all with re-rolls to hit. Just foul. ;) You could throw a couple of combi-flamers/meltas in there for dealing with hordes/armor too, if you want to. The unit works best in close combat, such that you make use of the unit's full cost which has everything to do with Vets having 2 base Attacks on their profile. If you are not making use of that, you are wasting the unit's potential.

I thought that only 3 Vets could upgrade to fists/power weapons?......

Anyway, you can always add in the odd meltabomb or combat shield to increase the wound allocation shenanigans.

Azrael, plus Chaplain, plus 10 Vets(2 w/power fist, 8 w/power weapon; all in a LR Crusader). You want Azrael with them, if possible, as he gives them all a 4++ save while he is alive. That is practically worth Azrael's steep cost alone. Add the Chaplain for everyone to get re-rolls to hit on the charge. 6 Str 6 attacks at Init 5, 5 Str 4 attacks at Init 5, 32 Str 4 attacks at Init 4, and 6 Str 8 attacks at Init 1; all with re-rolls to hit. Just foul. ;) You could throw a couple of combi-flamers/meltas in there for dealing with hordes/armor too, if you want to. The unit works best in close combat, such that you make use of the unit's full cost which has everything to do with Vets having 2 base Attacks on their profile. If you are not making use of that, you are wasting the unit's potential.

I am a fan of this.However costly it is.

Anyway, you can always add in the odd meltabomb or combat shield to increase the wound allocation shenanigans.

DA FAQ let's you upgrade any number of vets to carry equipment, it has removed the 3 limit

DA FAQ let's you upgrade any number of vets to carry equipment, it has removed the 3 limit

Aha, I haven't got the FAQ in front of me, thanks for the clarification ;)

Azrael, plus Chaplain, plus 10 Vets(2 w/power fist, 8 w/power weapon; all in a LR Crusader). You want Azrael with them, if possible, as he gives them all a 4++ save while he is alive. That is practically worth Azrael's steep cost alone. Add the Chaplain for everyone to get re-rolls to hit on the charge. 6 Str 6 attacks at Init 5, 5 Str 4 attacks at Init 5, 32 Str 4 attacks at Init 4, and 6 Str 8 attacks at Init 1; all with re-rolls to hit. Just foul. :P You could throw a couple of combi-flamers/meltas in there for dealing with hordes/armor too, if you want to. The unit works best in close combat, such that you make use of the unit's full cost which has everything to do with Vets having 2 base Attacks on their profile. If you are not making use of that, you are wasting the unit's potential.

That´s the point on this configuration, the points spend on it...

Is this a hard hitting unit? Sure it is, but it´ll cost you far too many points and when it comes to remove casualties, there are only highly prized models to be removed.

Azrael will bring you a lot of fun because of his extra attacks and the 4+ save but all this e-weapons are an overkill. And fielding the great grandmaster of the Dark Angels on a game underneath 2000 points sounds quite lame too me ;-)

Remember you still need some units to grab objetives and defend the enemy. Even this squad can´t make it through the entire opposing force on it´s own.

In a more normal game, but one where the points are high enough to want to take a full 10-man unit of Vets (1,500+ point games), I would take one of the following Company Vets builds:

Build #1- 255 pts. (close assault anti-hordes)

1 Vet w/power fist

1 Vet w/flamer

2 Vets w/combi-flamers

1 Vet w/bolt pistol, close combat weapon, meltabombs

6 Vets w/bolt pistol & close combat weapon

Build #2- 260 pts. (close assault anti-mech/heavy infantry)

1 Vet w/power fist

1 Vet w/meltagun

2 Vets w/combi-meltas

Build #3- 270 pts. (dedicated assault anti-infantry/all rounder)

1 Vet w/power fist

1 Vet w/meltagun

2 Vets w/power weapons

I think that covers the various squad applications pretty well, and without being too costly points-wise. Ultimately, what you put in your Company Vets unit will be dependent on two things- what you think you will be facing off against in your opponent's army, and what else is in your own army that is supporting your Company Vets. A nice, simple addition to this unit, which will increase its power dramatically, is a bare bones Chaplain (100 pts.). All of the Chaplain's benefits are obvious, and he comes equipped well enough as it is, so there really is no need to dump more points into him by adding extra wargear. Put those points into the rest of your army instead.

Azrael, plus Chaplain, plus 10 Vets(2 w/power fist, 8 w/power weapon; all in a LR Crusader). You want Azrael with them, if possible, as he gives them all a 4++ save while he is alive. That is practically worth Azrael's steep cost alone. Add the Chaplain for everyone to get re-rolls to hit on the charge. 6 Str 6 attacks at Init 5, 5 Str 4 attacks at Init 5, 32 Str 4 attacks at Init 4, and 6 Str 8 attacks at Init 1; all with re-rolls to hit. Just foul. :) You could throw a couple of combi-flamers/meltas in there for dealing with hordes/armor too, if you want to. The unit works best in close combat, such that you make use of the unit's full cost which has everything to do with Vets having 2 base Attacks on their profile. If you are not making use of that, you are wasting the unit's potential.

Is this a hard hitting unit? Sure it is, but it´ll cost you far too many points and when it comes to remove casualties, there are only highly prized models to be removed.

Azrael will bring you a lot of fun because of his extra attacks and the 4+ save but all this e-weapons are an overkill. And fielding the great grandmaster of the Dark Angels on a game underneath 2000 points sounds quite lame too me ;-)

Remember you still need some units to grab objetives and defend the enemy. Even this squad can´t make it through the entire opposing force on it´s own.

I have had the pleasure of facing Calgar, Seth, Shrike, and Kantor all in games below 2000 points.

Azrael, plus Chaplain, plus 10 Vets(2 w/power fist, 8 w/power weapon; all in a LR Crusader). You want Azrael with them, if possible, as he gives them all a 4++ save while he is alive. That is practically worth Azrael's steep cost alone. Add the Chaplain for everyone to get re-rolls to hit on the charge. 6 Str 6 attacks at Init 5, 5 Str 4 attacks at Init 5, 32 Str 4 attacks at Init 4, and 6 Str 8 attacks at Init 1; all with re-rolls to hit. Just foul. :lol: You could throw a couple of combi-flamers/meltas in there for dealing with hordes/armor too, if you want to. The unit works best in close combat, such that you make use of the unit's full cost which has everything to do with Vets having 2 base Attacks on their profile. If you are not making use of that, you are wasting the unit's potential.

I have had the pleasure of facing Calgar, Seth, Shrike, and Kantor all in games below 2000 points.

I've faced Seth in games of 1000 points...some people <_<

Archived