Assault squads w/dual flamers

As it says brothers. I'm short on bits, with no intention really of buying more. Have enough spare parts to make a 5 man squad into a 10 man squad, but I'm short on specials. Only 1 melta lying about. But plenty of flamers. Anyone run their jumpy assault squads kitted w/ 2 zippos? Had good results?

-CC

As long as you still have a fist to go with those two flamers, then that'll work fine. You need the insurance in case you get run into a walker or other armored target.

The main thing is to make sure you use them for what they're made for - assault. So send them across the board at that one objective holder, or the fire base camped out in cover. I like to give the sergeant a hand flamer, and make that assault squad the "anti-horde" or anti-infantry squad. If you're playing a Mech army, use the flamer squad as a screen for the melta squad behind them that also contains the Priest and other Independent Characters, giving the squads behind a cover save. Armies like Orks and Tyranids cry when you take that cover save they needed to survive away with flamers, then assault them in cover and still go first.

The flamers and assault marines work well since you can still assault into cover pretty well. It's not like bikes who still have to make dangerous terrain rolls. Remember that in the movement phase, Jump Infantry can still just "walk" 6" if they want to and not use their jump packs. Also, you always assault the 6" on the ground, or run into some kind of cover if they deepstrike down.

My favorite tactic is to deepstrike close to some cover, then run in if I'm outside the flamer range. When they come towards you, "walk" out the OTHER side of the cover, and I many times get an extra round of shooting them if they can't get their whole unit through the cover in time. Or "walk" up to the edge of some area terrain or a ruin, and have the templates stretch THROUGH the cover.

As long as you know you're not using them for Landraider tank hunting, they do fine. They do still have Krak grenades, which is nothing to sniff at since when you assault you're going against the rear armor anyways.

not tried two, but one is funky.

Even space marines die when you get ten with a flamer.

That's very unlikely, especially when you play against a smart opponent who is spreading out his units to the 2" limit for coherency when template weapons approach his guys.

well, in my not inconsiderable experience with guard flamers, people dont spread.

They bunch up for assault/shooting effect or to squeeze through terrain, because everyone knows flamers arent a threat.

And then they die

Looks like I will stick to running the two flamers then. I'll put a fist and infernus on the sarge for a little extra insurance (expensive i know.) This unit will be run along my two other assault squads with dual meltas on both, so I think it will offer a fair bit of diversity in the army. Thanks for the insight lads

-CC

That is exactly how I run both of my JP assault squads. Powerfist/Infernus Pistol, 2 Flamers. Solid combo in my opinion. If I'm honest I don't use the IP too much but it is nice to have. On the off chance theres nothing around for the flamers to toast I can hopefully pop a transport and get to the meaty center.

-Samirus

not tried two, but one is funky.

Even space marines die when you get ten with a flamer.

That's very unlikely, especially when you play against a smart opponent who is spreading out his units to the 2" limit for coherency when template weapons approach his guys.

In the finals at Adepticon, Tony (SW player) snuck in a juicy flamer shot over a full squad of 10 GK (I think purifiers, but I could be wrong). When you see it happen to the winner of the 40k finals at Adepticon, it doesn't strike me as very unlikely.

It is fairly easy to forget about a flamer that is in a transport rather than on the open field. You also get a good bit of bunching up when trying to keep an entire unit in a piece of terrain, or hiding behind cover.

I have always fielded 2x10 with Melta, Fist and 1x10 with Flamers, PW melta bomb..

We dont play 100% Waac lists, so we tent to play for fun most of the times.

But i have never gotten into a position to where the flamers can outperform the meltas.

If i could i would remove the flamers and put on some meltas instead, they are just so much better in this mechanized world we live in atm

when 6th edition comes out maybe that will change tho and the flamer can get some of its glory back.

We dont play 100% Waac lists, so we tent to play for fun most of the times.

But i have never gotten into a position to where the flamers can outperform the meltas.

MEQ in cover? Torrent saves onto as many models as possible or high invul models. Killing lots of dark Eldar, nids, orks, guard blobs.. the list goes on.

Nothing (currently) beats the 2*melta + fist for overall performance, but there are plenty of situations where the flamers will do better than the meltas.

They're great for clearing objective campers. These are normally cheap units who will be bunched up to take advantage of cover. The flamers can really thin them down before you polish them off in assault. They're also very good at thinning hordes, especially if you take a hand flamer on the sarge as well. I give the sarge a power weapon and hand flamer, just in case I run into any MEQs which can really slow you down.

Killing lots of dark Eldar, nids, orks, guard blobs.. the list goes on.

and which one of those units doesnt die to a charge or RAS with FC and FnP bubble ? it is a win more options.

These are normally cheap units who will be bunched up to take advantage of cover.

no they wont . because A 50% of the unit has to be in cover to actualy get it . B spreading means less dmg from blast templates and flamers , so no one bunches up ever . maybe green wave orcs , but that is 1 list.

It is fairly easy to forget about a flamer that is in a transport rather than on the open field.

so it works when your opponent doesnt read your list . awesome . so its like chaos NM syren a one per player build . works one time and then neve ?

and which one of those units doesnt die to a charge or RAS with FC and FnP bubble ? it is a win more options.

I don't like 'perfect' scenarios, and even with FnP+ FC the only situation with some room for error will be the guard blob.

no they wont . because A 50% of the unit has to be in cover to actualy get it . B spreading means less dmg from blast templates and flamers , so no one bunches up ever . maybe green wave orcs , but that is 1 list.

;)

Getting cover from shooting isn't the only reason to stay in area terrain....

And there's also disembarks, poor consolidation rolls or run moves, or just plain trying to stay out of LoS.

It is fairly easy to forget about a flamer that is in a transport rather than on the open field.

so it works when your opponent doesnt read your list . awesome .

I gave you an example from this year's Adepticon finals, and your suggestion is that Brad didn't read Tony's list?

how do you get ten marines in to rapid bolter range without bunching up?

Fc + fnp costs at least 75pts on top of the assault squad, a flamer costs 5pts

for ten points, you lose two bolt pistol shots and two chainsword swings, and gain ten or more flamer hits.

The meltas might be more versatile, but i have other anti armour, three mm speeders for example

Archived