Contemptor Weapons.

WA Blue

Well, it really depends which type of contemptor.

Personally? I'd go for a Mortis- even with simple twin autocannon, you've got something that's much tougher than a Venerable rifleman with just as good shooting, and for 20 points cheaper; for 5 points cheaper than a Vendread rifleman, you can get twin Kheres- 12 S6, AP4 rending shots, hitting on 2+... that's pretty damn good.

As much as I like the cyclone, I'm not sure I can recommend it on the Mortis. It's already got amazing firepower, and two Kraks per turn just isn't worth taking it over 200 points; it's already going to be a fire magnet, courtesy of being highly dangerous and tough enough to take a few hits.

The more standard Contemptors don't do it for me anywhere near as much, mainly because I'm not fond of CC-based walkers ("I say, chaps! Let's mosey-on into melta range. Can't hurt, what what?"), and they don't do the shooting anywhere near as well as the Mortis. Being able to choose a more diverse weapons array is nice, but they're also very, very expensive. The Cyclone's a much better option here, but that alone tips them over 200 points, and a targeting augury and heavy conversion beamer tips it to the price of a Land Raider. Having said that, Cyclone + Augury + Kheres + storm bolterfist is 10 points cheaper than two normal Dreadnoughts, each with Assault Cannon and Missile Launcher, and more shooty than both combined- BS 5 = 50% more hits > 25% more shots. However, that basket has an awful lot of eggs in it.

If you're going for shooting, I'd say go for a Mortis; autocannon and kheres are tastiest to my eyes, but just about any of the options (bar the as usual overpriced lascannon) would be pretty cool. If not, stick to a cheap-ish CC build, such as a Blood Angels Contemptor with Magna Grapple and Kheres/Multi-Melta/Blood Talons with Meltagun, and- while costly- a Lucius is (as always) a wonderful, viability-confirming treat for any CC-based dread.

I'd not go for any sort of generalist build- sure, you can make one mediocre in CC and mediocre in shooting, but that just ends up with a mediocre point-sink; not going dedicated CC means you've just got a couple of S10 swings per turn.

Yeah I lend my support to the Mortis Pattern, I have played a fair few games with both, and honestly the mortis is just an awesome weapons platform with BS5 and the weapons it can equip itself with. It is resilient, mobile and accurate, it can also still handle itself in Close Combat reasonably well (even better for Black Templar with AAC!).

The regular pattern equipped with dual fists really lacks attacks, it can get tar pitted waaaay too easily like most dreads, its a good vehicle hunter but an expensive one IMO.

cheers

Dono

Shame chaos can't take mortis pattern ones or even the targeting array, because targetting systems are so much more complex to maintain then power armour or they can't bind a daemon/do an enchantment to do the exact same thing..

It depends on which codex your using it with.

Is it possible to give it AC+CML+Gravaton gun/claw?

Yes, you can. It is 30 points more than a contemptor mortis with 2 AC + CML.

Maybe dreadnought cc weapons are getting a boost in 6th ed, I would think the contemptor rules were written with them in mind.

If not the premium you pay for the cc weapon seems high.

Archived