Trying out new units

Cannon-Fodder

Hey guys,

So I'm planning to shake things up a bit and re-jig my list to run things I don't often go with. Looking to pass the time before 6th ed.

I wanted to get views on the following three units:

* Dreds in Drops - I think drop pods look great, but I've never really found a decent use for them. I've used a few times to deliver vets, but each time decided that deep strking DW would have been better! I have a venny dred in my standard list, but its the only footslogger so I find it gets a bit left behind. Last few games I've tried it in a drop pod coming in behind enemy lines to take out devestators, tanks and the like and have found it remarkably effective! A venny dred in your deployment isn't something to be ignored, and with the pod for cover I find it always lasts a few turns and causes mayhem. And it free's up my melta bikes. I'm surprised i don't see this more often - am I missing an obvious better choice for this role? anyone else run this? are my ops just idiots who don't know how to handle it?

* Vets in an LRC - I love vets but I have to admit I've never really found a place for them. As they are a very popular unit and oft quoted as one of the best in the book I can only assume I'm a crap player :P However, reading the other thread in here on use of vets i have decided to run them out of an LRC as an allround assualt unit with two PWs and a fist. Is this viable? I've always run an assualt DW squad out of my LRC and found this to be pretty effective. I'll put the termi's in reserve now and DS off the bikes. I'll see how i like it. The main reson I want to use these is that I struggle a bit against hordes and what better than vets to kill hordes?

* Company maseter or librarian - never used, but own both and love the models. My plan is to add one of these to the LRC with the vets in 2000pnt games. but which one?

Cheers, CF

How many Deathwing do you usually take? If you take 3 or more, what bout taking Belial to make them scoring and put a Chaplain in that LRC with the Vets.

If you have 3 squads of DW, 2 more shooty sqauds can come down first turn to soften things up for the LRC (CMLs to take out transports). Be careful where you DS though - don't allow them to get charged if possible. Then the Vets hit hard the following turn and you have a rock solid sqaud of Terminators to leave on an objective if need be.

Sounds good in theory. I've never run it myself. I've actually grown weary of the single LR never making it to deliver it's payload... but against say, Orks, it has a high chance of getting the job done.

Afternoon brothers,

I too have a venerable drednaught that i use a drop pod for in my deathwing force. Found it to be very effective. I have a landraider but im still building up my green wing force so have only used tactical squads in it so far. Still very effective and i love the MkIIb pre-heresey model.

Im going to include veterens but like you i have not figured out what their ideal role should be. im thinking elite fire support squad to hold objectives (which i believe others on here have do as well) but still thinking about it.

Im going to convert a plasmer predator and use the rules from forge world they released recently. Dont like their model so will just use my own. im being swayed by the conversion beamer though. being the first legion i imagine they have alot of this kind of tech.

Like you, i also like looking at "different" stuff (as in different lay outs for vehicles, using lesser used equipment for my squads, etc...), i think it make things different to the norm.

Solly

Archived