Marines Malevolent

Hello there!

I'm a long, long, long time lurker of this particular forum, and have finally decided to up and post some stuff I'm working on at the moment.

The Marines Malevolent are a Chapter that I've had a soft spot for since the Armageddon campaign, but I'm finally painting them up due to the efforts guys like 1000heathens and zxyogi who have posted some very inspiring plogs and some great minis too, so thanks, you two, if you ever see this thread!

I do apologise for the craptastic quality of the photos. They do look a lot better close up than this shows, and I'm still playing with my camera/software to get the best end result. This is not it.

WIP Captain/Centurion

gallery_67188_7265_12372.jpg

A converted FW Boarding Marine. Counts as Kantor in-game. I do like the way this guy is turning out, although my suspicions have been confirmed by this photo that the yellow is way, way too green. I don't want a warm yellow for these guys, because I think a colder colour reflects their nature better, but I'm struggling to get a mix I'm happy with. Any tips?

WIP Sternguard

gallery_67188_7265_1641.jpg

Obviously with Kantor come Bolter/Melta armed Sternguard. My idea for this army is based on the period immediately following the Macharian Heresy and the fallout from their Chapter War with the Star Phantoms, so similar to the Crimson Fists I guess with high numbers of veterans, few tanks etc. In a slight divergence from the norm of Marines Malevolent armies (as far as I've seen anyway), all of the veteran helms will be white, but not for the normal Codex-says-so reason. This is to reflect that each veteran took the head of a (white-armoured ;) ) Star Phantom in the Chapter War. Kind of an inter-stellar 'Up yours!'.

WIP Contemptor

gallery_67188_7265_12942.jpg

My bad-ass rifleman Dread. I figure seeing as they've been around since M.32, the boys in yellow would probably have at least some cool gear lying around. Of all the photos, I think this one is the best in terms of showing the 'cool' yellow colour I want, which is a little annoying, because it's the bare Army Painter Demonic Yellow spray with barely any wash and no highlights on it, which up close looks a lot more Golden Yellow/Imperial Fist kind of colour.

WIP Librarian

gallery_67188_7265_20482.jpg

The Librarian I'd mostly finished and was quite enjoying before I read Salamander and learned that the Marines Malevolent follow the Nikean creed. Bah! A pox on Nick Kyme!

Anyway. Thanks for looking, and please feel free to give me some tips!

More pics to come!

Struan.

Thanks nurglespuss! Appreciate the encouragement! And yeah, I love the Contemptor. Forgeworld have earned their pennies with that one. It was a bit fiddly to put together, but there's just so much you can do with it. More poseable knee joints all around I say!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could make these guys look a little more weathered while still keeping the yellow fairly vibrant?

YES!!!! Another Marines Malevolent player!!! I think this officially means we're a cult now, lol.

I love what you got going right now, the Kantor conversion is especially nice. I could probably help with the yellow recipie if you could kindly post the brands and colors you're using, good sir. As for the weathering, it depends on how roughed up you'd like them. Light scratches and chips would be best done with a finetip brush, medium chipping can be accomplished with 'sponge weathering', and heavy...well, I have a decent recipie in my MM blog for massive paint damage with rust, though it's not for everyone, lol.

Keep it up, man. Looking forward to what you come up with next!

P.S. Please sentence your Librarian to burning at the stake. Suffer not the witch to live.... lol.

• 2 months later...

Sigh...

A life lesson for everyone.

When deciding to start a Project Log of any description, please take the following into account:

- Having to put away all of your paints, knifes, sharp things and pointy toy soldiers so that small, fragile people can stay at your house

- Moving to another house with said bits

- Your wife requesting that said bits remain 'tidied' (read: away) as friends of hers are staying in your new house for five weeks.

If any of the above are likely to occur within the next few weeks, please refrain from starting your Project Log until such circumstance have passed in order to avoid feelings of guilt and shame.

Now, that being said, I've not been idle. I've discovered my ideal formula for yellow which is...

White Undercoat

Generous (but not sacrificial) coat of Lamenters Yellow glaze

Black line with Nuln Oil

Tidy up with Bad Moon Yellow (which I still somehow have three pots of)

Quick, easy and looks, IMHO, fantastic. The results of which can be seen below.

gallery_67188_7265_575680.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_273699.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_407524.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_944021.jpg

Please note that these are all WIP (some more than others), and I am aware of all accursed mould lines, but any comments would be greatly appreciated.

In spite of the many challenges I've faced in the last little while with regard to getting this log moving, my time has not been without reward. It was my birthday recently, and I managed to get quite a haul, including a fair bit of new Forgeworld stuff, which is really cool. I hope to be showing off my completed Thunderfire Cannon and finishing off those four boys above by the end of this coming week.

Nice poses and paint jobs. Its hard not to be inspired by the likes of 1000heathens and zxyogi as they have some truly excellent work.

Battle damage would look good, but I'm biased in that area. Like others have said before, there are many different techniques. Maybe just try one on a test model and see if you like the look of it?

Still, nice work and keep it up!

Thanks for the comments guys!

Brother Syth: I'm gonna do some battle damage on an AoBR mini hopefully this week. Any tips/help you can give me in the aftermath of that would be great (or any before, for that matter!)

Techmarine is on his way to done. Just gonna do some tidying up, particularly of the yellow, and he'll be pretty close to tabletop standard, which is around where I'm aiming.

gallery_67188_7265_389785.jpg

I never believed people when they said that the highlights looked better in real life... That'll teach me, cos I'm actually pretty pleased with the red. Ah well... Anyone have a good make-a-light-box-for-cheap tutorial?

Also, this lot is coming soon.

gallery_67188_7265_72115.jpg

As much as I like to see another Marines Malevolent player around, if I'm totally honest, I don't like the yellow.

It's not that its bad (because it really is well done) but its just so bright... I'd expect something on say Lamentars or Imperial Fists but, for Marines Malevolent... I just doesn't fit in my head. I feel it needs to be dark, nice and gritty but that's purely my own opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Really awesome poses. I love the kneeling marine with the combat knife.

As for battle damage, I like to go with the extreme option and literally take a hobby knife to my models. Painting damage is all fine and dandy but, it just never really has that feel or authenticity of actually cutting in those bullet holes and scars.

Just my two copper skulls.

That's a lot of awesome coming this way.

As for tips on battle damage, I tend to do either sponge or paint brush. I use Charadon Granite the for damage, with some Sepia around to discolour it. Finally either chainmail or a graphite pencil to finish it off, leaving the edges Charadon. Though considering your painting skills, I'm sure you can come up with some a bit better than that, but it works for me.

I do love to see the Marines Malevolent getting some love. Although I am slightly concerned as there seems to be way more MM's than Star Phantoms now. Mind you, who doesn't love a challenge? :teehee: I like the effect of your latest yellow and think some battle damage might just make it pop. I also really like the fluff behind the Sternguards white helmets. ;)

*attempts to run away and actually paint some SP reinforcements to eradicate the Malevolent Menace*

*A battered yellow and black shape detaches from the shadows behind Biohazard, wearing rusted Mk III plate, a relic axe in one hand and a aquilla-embossed shield in the other. A ravaged throat whispers a single sentence...*

"You keep what you kill...."

Well... noctus cornix and 1000heathens get naming rights for two of my Sternguard. That was cool, and I'm probably going to have to steal that line.

@noctus cornix: I do know what you mean regarding the yellow, but let me explain my reasoning... I see the Marines Malevolent as a chapter that may once have been honourable and virtuous, but following the Chapter War with the Star Phantoms, they are disillusioned, bitter and angry. They were supposed to return from the Macharian Crusade in glory and triumph, adding another triumphant campaign to their long and illustrious list of victories, but it was not to be. Their allies, brothers who had fought with them across the unknown, turned on them and all but wiped them out. They watched their history and their future die without honour; not at the hands of a worthy enemy, but from a traitor's knife. Each one of them is driven by hate; not the righteous hate of the Astartes, but the hollow, spiteful rage of abandonment and betrayal by the Imperium they helped to forge.

Seeing the universe through the lens of their own suffering is what allows them to justify firing on a civilian camp under attack by Orks… "We were almost destroyed defending our chapter from our brethren, and we saved ourselves. How can they demand the same salvation when it costs them nothing? We will not defend their defencelessness." Similarly, I don't see Vinyar's confrontation with Tsu'gan as being solely caused by his arrogance. Instead, he justifies his actions based his pain, and because of that he doesn't believe that Tsu'gan, a First-Founding Chapter Master, could possibly understand what he and his chapter have faced in order to come to this point of desperation. This bitterness; this rage that pervades and seethes through the entire chapter is toxic, and will be their undoing.

So, I chose to make them the same sort of colour as a toxic warning sign, almost as a warning to those around them that they've got something in them that's not only hazardous to everyone around them, but also to themselves. They carry poison in their hearts, and at some point, it's going to kill them.

Which line, you keep what you kill? That's from Riddick. :lol:

Concerning your theory on their yellow, while I completely disagree with your theory, I respect it and am very fond of your take on it. The only reason why I feel compelled to disagree with you is because my Marines Malevolent army is themed around that war with the Star Phantom wretches.(hence why there are several white helmets on the ground :P ) and the way I have envisioned them was that they have always been that way.

Yeah, fair enough. It's quite likely that they've always been completely bankrupt in terms of compassion and empathy, or indeed any feelings of brotherhood towards the mere mortals of the Imperium, other than maybe those with a continuous history of martial excellence and military-dominated culture (Cadians, Mordian Iron Guard for example).

However, I think the Chapter war would even go so far as to turn them against other Astartes, leaving them isolated and much more likely to delve deeper into their own ideology. For example, in the events of Salamander, I'm sure, for example, that they would have left the stricken Salamander force to its fate if they hadn't been able to bargain for the contents of the Mechanicus vessel, whereas I don't know if they would've had such a mercenary attitude previously. I doubt very much that they would've come out of a conflict on that scale psychologically and philosophically unscathed.

But this has little to do with colour theory, and I'm in danger of making this thread more of a background discussion rather than a Project log (not that I have any real problem with that... I love me some fluff). I'm at work at the moment, but will do my best to get some more stuff up this evening. Any further discussion of the Marines Malevolent Chapter is welcome, because it will keep me entertained at work!

Ladies and Gentlemen, for your viewing pleasure, may I present to you my (still slightly WIP) Techmarine and (slightly more still WIP) Thunderfire Cannon.

Again, I bemoan my lack of a lightbox.

gallery_67188_7265_2584.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_486487.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_705706.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_667798.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_14356.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_509394.jpg

The highlights on both still need a bit of work, and I'll be adding battle damage as soon as I figure out what I'm doing with it, but I'm fairly happy with the progress so far.

• 2 months later...

Like a Space Marine too full of hate to let himself die, this log rises from the dust and roars a challenge to the enemies of the Emperor!

Ahem.

Scouts!

gallery_67188_7265_396284.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_890491.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_834971.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_695307.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_893573.jpg

gallery_67188_7265_176721.jpg

I'm pretty happy with these, though the camera isn't doing them much justice, it must be said. I'll try and retake some of these on the weekend when I'm got some daylight behind me.

Also, you probably can't tell why because of Shake-o-vision, but I'm pretty happy with this guy.

gallery_67188_7265_619679.jpg

Archived