Blood Lance

Lsmith7606

Absolutely not! The lance is fired in a direction, all units are hit with a single attack each. So the first unit takes a hit then the lance travels to the next unit. Another lance is not fired to hit the next one, its the same lance so it can't benefit from cover of the original target.

If a unit is not visible to the firer, say on the other side of a landraider, it still takes a hit. Such as Jaws of the Werewolf from SW. The only thing that restricts a blood lance is the distance that it travels. If a unit is in cover when the shot is made, then sure it gets a cover save but if over 50% is in the open then treat it like barrage. Measure from the line itself, not the firer.

I was reading through the discussion and didn't see if the issue was resolved. Just my two cents...err...pence.

Blood Lance does not state it elimates cover, so if the unit has cover from the shooter, they get cover.

If this is in response to another thread, it probably should have been posted in that thread.

No it belongs by itself. If you reply to something listed in the FAQ thread it will just get passed by.

I'm not saying that a cover save should be given, but my interpretation is to draw the line and measure it like a barrage weapon in determining cover. Jaws of the World Wolf doesn't allow saves from a psychic shooting attack. Psychic powers were meant to be different and to jumble up the normal flow of the game.

By your reasoning units that can't be seen can't be hit by the lance, because that follows the same 'shooting' based rules.

Sad, but true. If the unit is behind another unit, and more than 50% are behind it, the get a cover save. Same is true for tanks; if you have three tanks lined up side by side with the librarian firing perpendicular to the side armor of one tank, the first tank will not get cover but the other two will. JotWW specifically states in its rules that no save of any kind can be taken as it does not inflict wounds, rather just gobbles the model up in one piece.

Arguing it is semantics, and I'm sure any judge would rule against your interpretation.

(P.S. It is Jaws of the WORLDwolf, not werewolf. Haha, I can only imagine the fluff to justify Jaws of the Werewolf.)

Absolutely not! The lance is fired in a direction, all units are hit with a single attack each. So the first unit takes a hit then the lance travels to the next unit.

Correct, but we don't save 'hits' in this game, we save wounds, pens and glances.

I'm not saying that a cover save should be given, but my interpretation is to draw the line and measure it like a barrage weapon in determining cover.

While that may be your interpretation, there's nothing in the rules that remotely supports that idea - so it doesn't really help anyone.

Jaws of the World Wolf doesn't allow saves from a psychic shooting attack

As noted it doesnt allow saves...because it specifically mentions not allowing saves. The same is not the case with BL.

Psychic powers were meant to be different and to jumble up the normal flow of the game.

Again, just your view on the matter. My view (which is equally unimportant outside of the rules in relation to the world-wide gaming community) is that psychic powers add a different tactical element to the game. ie: it doesn't really matter what either of us think psychic powers "were meant" to be - it matters what they are written to be.

As per 40k rulebook FAQ 1.5 Jan 2012;

"Q: Do psychic shooting attacks grant cover saves? (p50)

A: Yes, as long as they cause wounds. Cover saves are

taken against wounds caused by psychic shooting

attacks, not against any other ‘weirder’ effects of the

psychic power."

The fluff may make it seem like a Blood Lance would negate cover, but that's not how the rules work for both balance and fairness.

If you reply to something listed in the FAQ thread it will just get passed by.

I got my Librarian Furioso query answered so if you quote what you want to know about and be patient it shouldn't be a problem...

Absolutely not! The lance is fired in a direction, all units are hit with a single attack each. So the first unit takes a hit then the lance travels to the next unit. Another lance is not fired to hit the next one, its the same lance so it can't benefit from cover of the original target.

This makes no sense. If the Blood Lance hits target A and then goes on to hit target B, directly behind target A, why would B not receive a cover save? What rationale are you attempting to use to reach that opinion?

Archived