My second Predator

Enzephalon

Hi guys,

After an unplanned break I present to you my newest piece.

Finally I had the time to paint my second Predator. These badasses are my working horses. They are the backbone of every list I build. It's a shame that I haven't painted them earlier.

I forgot to add the dirt to the exhausts before taking the pictures though.

Hope you like it.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/5/22/369133_md-.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/5/22/369134_md-.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/5/22/369135_md-.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/5/22/369136_md-.JPG

Hi guys,

Glad you like it.

I'm priming them black, but I use army painters dragon red for the base coat (would use an airbrush if I had one).

I have no clue what to put on the scrolls though. I'm open for any ideas. ^^

Hate the "highlighted edges" that is so prevalent in tank painting; light just doesn't work like that.

Here is a tip. Take your tank, prime it black, then take a white spray, but this time only spray it from one angle. This way, you'll be able to see how the light would actually look :lol:

Hate the "highlighted edges" that is so prevalent in tank painting; light just doesn't work like that.

Here is a tip. Take your tank, prime it black, then take a white spray, but this time only spray it from one angle. This way, you'll be able to see how the light would actually look :lol:

Well... That's the way I started it.

I highly appreciate your advise, but for the sake of consistency I'll keep it that way, at least for this army.

My Dark Eldar will be a whole different story anyway, because I will buy me some decent airbrush equipment before I even start to paint them.

Thanks again, though.

Also, sometimes its not about 'realism' just what looks cool at such a small scale!

I have the same thought. I'd like to do some sort of natural source lighting, and for a display model I think it would look great, but on the tabletop it would just look silly. The tank moves, but the way the light hits it doesn't? That would look odd.

To me, edge highlighting isn't about light, it's about bringing out details so that tanks don't look like dull, monochromatic, featureless boxes. (This is, incidentally, how my current tanks look ;) )

The way I view "highlighting" tanks isn't about lighting, it's about the wear that the tanks have suffered through battle. Take coal trains for instance, its always the outer edges that wear first, becoming a lighter color of the original until the paint chips off. Just a real world example, but a beautiful thing about 40k is, in the end, it doesn't even matter, just play and have fun.

Here is a tip. Take your tank, prime it black, then take a white spray, but this time only spray it from one angle. This way, you'll be able to see how the light would actually look :D

Well... That's the way I started it.

I highly appreciate your advise, but for the sake of consistency I'll keep it that way, at least for this army.

My Dark Eldar will be a whole different story anyway, because I will buy me some decent airbrush equipment before I even start to paint them.

Thanks again, though.

Good for you, and don't worry about it, this is just one mans opinion - besides, painting is all about improving skills and developing technique, I have a long way to go myself ;) Thats the reward, when you go back and revisit some of your first models and see how you've improved :)

And its not like I'm offended by the edge highlighting, and I take it as a deadly insult to aestethics. Its more that you have the option to take it so much further :)

Not worried at all, good Sir.

; )

One has to be prepared for some critique when posting stuff on the internet.

I try to take it to the next level with my Dark Eldar.

It simply makes no sense to try doing proper gradients on a vehicle with nothing but your regular brush.

I think I'd go crazy. The effort/output ratio is just insane.

Sadly I will be unable to post my results here, because of the strict anti-Xenos policy. ^^

Archived