Crusaders SM Chapter

I'm starting my own chapter o' Space Marines, and have decided to call them the Ursus Imperialis (Imperial Bears). The bear image is the basis of the color scheme--particularly the Brown Bear, the national animal of Finland (where my family immigrated to the States from). So, here's what I'm looking at:

sm.php?b62c=@hFTPP_i8TzJ.iakk7_.@@@@_h3jnL.hFZ83@@..@_@@@@@@@@@i9v2L_i9v2L_@@@@@@@@@@hFZ83hBeh3@@@@@__@.@._@iakfW.&

To this, I'm going to add the current Finnish air force roundel (white and blue) to the shoulder pads--I have ordered some teeny-tiny decals from a guy in England (2-3 mm). They will give a dash of color and tie the whole thing in. I wanted to get away from dark colors but also avoid being flashy or too metallic. I'm going to do the weapons in gunmetal & dark colors.

What do you think? Does it work, or is this perhaps too ambitious for a relative noob to think of painting?

I've tweaked it a bit:

sm.php?b62c=@hFTPP_i8TzJ.iakk7_.@@@@_h3jnL.hFZ83@@__@@@@@@@@@@@i9v2LhE4kMi9v2LhE4kM@@@@@@@@@@hFZ83hBeh3@@@@@_@@.@._@_.&

I added the light blue to the shoulder pads to break it up a bit, and to compliment the blue & white roundels that will be going there. The eagle and some of the other details will be in the burnished gold--that's b/c the wife liked it that way more than the other, and I'm married to her, not the color scheme.

i honestly like the first scheme a tad better. the earth tones make for a striking look. tho im not sure how your decals look. perhaps a pic of them if you can?

i honestly like the first scheme a tad better. the earth tones make for a striking look. tho im not sure how your decals look. perhaps a pic of them if you can?

I agree. You know its so weird. I was only thinking the other day I don't think I've ever seen a brown space marine. Hurry hurry get some painted dude.

The roundels look like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/61/Finland_roundel_border.svg/40px-Finland_roundel_border.svg.png

I thought they would look nice against the blue shoulder pads--but they might stand out just as well against the earthier tone.

Here's a bit more tweakage. I decided to make the eyes and facial details light and try to tie the Aquila in with the overall scheme:

sm.php?b62c=@hFTPP_i8TzJ.iakk7_@@_@@_..hFZ83@@hE4kM_@@@@@@@@@@@i9v2LhE4kM.hE4kM@@@@@@@@@@.hBeh3@@@@@_@@.@@__@.&

I hadn't considered that as yet--have mostly been focused on the color scheme. It would be a good touch, will have to see if I can locate some suitable decals. Thanks!

--EDIT: Well, what do you know? I found the bear claw decals in the downloads section.

So, any recommendations on which paper I should use for the decals? I would be either printing them at home on my laser or taking them to a copy place.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, no plan survives contact with the other side. Once I got into the painting a bit, my sense of the chapter changed. I couldn't get the 'bear' thing to work, and the scheme took on a more desert-like feel. I decided not to resist that, and settled on "Crusaders" as the chapter name (which is from the 'Chapter Approved' list but had no specific livery or colors that I could find). They've ended up with a desert/templar type of style, and my first experiments with the scheme are below:

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/kpsaari/IMG_0277-2.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/kpsaari/IMG_0276-2-1.jpg

My models are mostly used, so some are in the templar style, some are from AOBR, and so on. They won't all match, but I like the idea of some variation within squads--like some are rookie guys and some are vets who have honors or more customized armor (i.e., they have templar decorations, tabards, and so on). All the models designated as sergeants don't have helmets.

Now, these still need a bit of cleanup painting, a good wash, and varnish, so they're not 100% done. I'm also going to use the roundels, to give a touch of blue. What do you all think?

I like it. A wash will give you some more definition. I also have a mix of armor/minis, I like the look. Good work. Plans to do an IA and flesh out the chapter details?

Thx for the comments. I do plan to work up an IA and the chapter info at some point. The general idea is that they're a newer chapter (25th or 26th founding) headquartered on some remote, desolate desert planet. The local population subsists by supporting the chapter with agriculture, labor, and manufacturing their equipment. So the whole thing is very much like a monastic order.

I thought that making them a new chapter would be appropriate, as I am a new player. I didn't think it appropriate to give them fluff that speaks of a 1,000-year history of kicking ass while I'm still learning the game.

My understanding is that it was reasonably far north--not quite in the Laplands, but close, and not too far from Sweden. I'm thinking that if I do a true Finnish tribute force, I'll do Imperial Guard in winter gear with plenty of snipers.

Thanks for the compliments. The scheme is coming together nicely, and I've got a good half-dozen of the tactical marines more or less done at this point. Once they're washed and varnished, I'll put up some updated pics.

I'm not sure precisely where, but it may be in that area. I've dropped a letter to an uncle of mine who has all the genealogy info and has actually visited what relatives we have there.

Color scheme continues to get more interesting. Working on the models in batches--just dropping down a color and hitting the parts that need it across all the models. Sometimes specific parts, sometimes touching up, sometimes experimenting. What was initially perceived as an accidental splotch ended up becoming the color set for the Scouts' weapons, which are in a striped camo pattern. They're nowhere near done, but I'll have a pic up shortly.

And here they are:

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/kpsaari/IMG_02792.jpg

The idea was to show them as rookies--hence they get more khaki than the darker colors that the regulars have--but also to make them look a bit more like commandos or stealthy fighters at home in a rocky/desert environment. Again, they're nowhere near done--the aquila and detail has yet to be done (will be gunmetal grey), and I have a lot of work to do on the faces. I plan to do their faces as 'normally' as I can and then add some face paint. They should come out nice and feral.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some finished models, washed and based. I decided to stay really simple with the basing--tried for just enough to give them a "Desert Gothic" feel in combination with the paint scheme.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/kpsaari/IMG_0283.jpg

Archived